Why/how did you become overweight?

Options
For those of you who want to share, I am interested to hear your stories about why/how you became overweight.

Were you always overweight?
Or were you once a healthy weight?
Did you "let yourself go"?
Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication?
And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?

Thank you for sharing, I think your stories will shed some light and help us to understand our weight loss journeys, since the mental component is so important, and we have to know where we come from to move forward.

Feel free to link to other past threads or groups.

Replies

• RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to share, I am interested to hear your stories about why/how you became overweight.

Were you always overweight? No, I gained weight when I left home a very very long time ago

Or were you once a healthy weight? I was a healthy weight in my teens and then again two years ago

Did you "let yourself go"? Yes, I also met new friends who partied alot so I was drinking alot and eating alot....mainly greasy food.....alot

Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication? No

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food? Mainly with bad foods and not exercising

Thank you for sharing, I think your stories will shed some light and help us to understand our weight loss journeys, since the mental component is so important, and we have to know where we come from to move forward.

• sheenabandy
    sheenabandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was a healthy weight up until my sophomore or junior year of high school. When I started self medicating with sugar, I started getting fat. After every hard time, I would go on a binging streak and get as much sugar in me as possible. Ice cream, cake, soda, etc.
    Then I found out the guy I'd been dating for 6 months was engaged to someone. And he strung me along for another year. He would show up out of nowhere and I would just keep getting ice cream and dr pepper and donuts to deal with it.
    When he got married and left, I just continued using the sugar to get through the day. I couldn't find anything that made me feel better. And that lasted for 5 years.
    I got up to 250lbs. At 5ft, that's not pretty.
    I would get to the point where I could deal and I could get down to a lower weight, but then something would happen that would make me rebound.

But in November, my boyfriend of 4 months died of a heart attack. Apparently, he'd had diabetes and didn't know to treat it.

So I fell back to my binging for a while. But the night of the funeral, I had a panic attack so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. I had to go to the hospital for monitoring.

They released me with xanex. But the panic attacks didn't stop. I realized the caffeine from my sodas was making it worse. I had to stop the caffeine. Which meant quitting one of the primary chemicals I'd been using to get by.

So I quit all the sodas. I drank decaf tea. Sweet at first, but slowly decreased the sugar. And I drank water.

I'm down to 228. I've been through a car wreck and my hamster died and I didn't relapse. I think I'm gonna make it this time.
  • sleepy11
    Options
    I always teetered between the high end of normal weight and the low end of overweight until college. I gained the freshman 15 and just kept going. I have overeating and inactivity to blame. I also drank like a fish for years. For a long time, I could drop 10-15 lbs in a couple of weeks so I didn't let my weight gain bother me. Now my metabolism has slowed down and it sucks, but I've learned that the weight stays off when I do it slow.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    -Nope. Always a "skinny kid."

-In a way. I was always told I had a high metabolism. I do/did, but I let that mindset go to my head.

-I'm all about the "no excuses" mindset, but I did/do have depression/anxiety issues and there was a big thing that happened in my life that was probably the turning point.

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?
    -Eating waaaayyyy too much
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Joined the Navy.
    Sat in a class room 8 hours a day and drank beer the rest of the time.
    Went from 130 to 170 in 9 months and just kept gaining.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    Bump...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    In a word, stress. First time was when my husband and I built our house. Happy ending but extreme financial duress and constantly facing the fact that we had bitten off more than we could possibly chew. Next time was when I had too heavy a workload at work. I found that I could concentrate much longer if I stuffed in carbs. It was effective, I did well at work, but it took a toll. Then with each of two pregnancies. Then my husband and I started a business -- crazy stress. So I put on the pounds until we were doing well enough that I could quit my day job, then put it on again when the business grew scarily rapidly, took it off when things settled and then put it on again when we put the business up for sale and I had to spend hours every evening preparing reports for potential buyers and then in months long negotiations. Lost weight when we sold the business, and in fact got into the best shape of my life, but then put it on again when I got heavily involved with the stock market. I did extremely well in the markets for a while, but lost my fitness regimen and used food to push my concentration levels again, and when the inevitable happened (i.e. I lost money), the pounds piled on. So here I am, close to an all time high in weight and starting out again...
  • williecruiser
    Options
    I think I just let myself enjoy burgers, fries, pizza, ranch dressing, etc. etc. I am a yoyo dieter. I love fattening food, but hate being fat. Trying to take the weight off again, but this time I want to keep it off. Eating decently and having occasional 1/2 servings of old favs is my goal.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and had always weighed around 115-120. I was one of the lucky ones- I could eat anything and I wouldn't gain weight.

However, in 2003 I started experiencing problems and my weight went down to 103, and I couldn't keep anything down. My doctor put me on Zyprexa and I started gaining weight. And gaining and gaining and gaining. I tried to get off the medication but the headaches I got and the buzzing in my head (yes, it felt like a neon sign flickering in my brain) and not being able to eat would always get me back on it.

So at the beginning of November, after tipping the scales at 195, I decided to try and wean myself down to the lowest possible dose. Because I've tried to lose weight while on it and it just didn't happen.

So now I'm on the lowest dose possible and the weight is slowly dropping. I will probably never weigh 120 again, but I'm healthier now than I was back then.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was overweight from the time I was 12 until the summer before I turned 17. I lost 65 lbs in 6 months. Then I met the man I ended up marrying and because I ate at work then ate with him I gained 30 lbs then got pregnant. I got pregnant again when my son was 6 weeks old. After my 2nd son was born I weight 220 lbs and maintained between 220 and 230 for 6 years even through another pregnancy. I got divorced and got down to 210 then my dad died and my world fell apart. I got up to 240 and stayed for a while. Then I got laid off and gained another 16 lbs which is where I was when I joined this site last week. I have decided no more excuses I will not be fat anymore.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. As a kid, we didn't always have enough to eat (single mom and 2 kids without enough to go around). When I moved with my dad, that constant fear of being hungry caused me to stuff my face at every meal. I've always eaten more than my friends. In high school, cheerleading got me down to a healthy weight but after I graduated I put on the freshman 15... Then the sophomore 10.. The junior 10.. The senior 10.. The. The "oh crap I'm not graduating this semester" 20. I just want a healthy relationship with food and to be active again..
  • cklapk1
    cklapk1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight, practically since birth I guess. I grew up in a household full of overeating and unhealthy choices, in addition to minimal exercise. That combination led me to where I was before I started college. Now I'm eating healthier and actually exercising (what a concept!), and I'm steadily losing.
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    -Pretty much, yes.
    Or were you once a healthy weight?
    -I think at some point(like kindergarten maybe?) I was "normal"
    -All my life. Except now! :tongue:
    -My grandmother, a very important figure in my life whom I lived with, died of lung cancer. My parents divorced before that. All while I was just a wee one, say 7 years old.

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only
    through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?
    -Throughout my teens I tried to be active, but it would only come in "spurts" for a few weeks then back to just sitting around all day. I've ate crap food all my life though(not so much now. :tongue: )
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Those are some awful things to deal with! Sometimes I think people (and I mostly mean me) disguise our self destructive streak with foods- it's less obvious and more socially acceptable while you are doing it. It's only when it gets to the consequence point that the judgment starts.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i had a cavity filled and suddenly i could eat chocolate pain free! long story short i got fat
  • samanthalynn11
    Options
    I haven't always been overweight. I was quite skinny until fifth grade when my parents got a divorce and I started to gain gradually. I became a pescetarian/vegetarian and unintentionally lost a lot of weight in high school. Then my boyfriend of about six months moved three hours away for college after we graduated and we saw each other once a month. During the time we were apart I'd spend most of my time hanging out with my best friend every day and eating bad food to distract myself. I also have TERRIBLE self-control. Being on birth control could also be a contributing factor to my weight gain, so I've heard. Now, four years later, I live with said boyfriend and he's naturally skinny but has poor eating habits, so that doesn't help either!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I was getting electric shock like migraines where I would feel like I was falling when I was laying down and it would shock my head and then feel numb to touch and all around the back of my head and I was on a medication called Gabapentin and I gained 45lbs in like 3 months and I was worried about it cuz it was getting to where my clothes felt tight on me and so my Dr switched my meds to Verapamil which is working wonders now and I feel much better. Don't lose anything on that one but don't gain really either. But wanted to just really get bk down to my normal weight or a bit smaller if I could. My downfall is I love cooking and so I have to really watch portions alot closer. But I have found some workouts I absolutely love. I love the Billy Blanks Jr Dance Party Bootcamp,The Billy Blanks SR Ab Bootcamp,Sweatin in the Spirit with Donna Richardson Joyner with Kirk Franklin,Kettlenetics, and I have a stair stepper machine. My next goal is to get a Bodybeam....I think that would be something I would really use that would be really good. Since starting myfitnesspal I have given up regular soda...I don't really care much for diet soda so I have gotten to like the Coke Zero, also the Diet Fuze Lemon Ice Teas aren't bad and Mio Water and Light V-8 Fusions are good as well. And I am a coffee holic...love that. Actually its much easier giving up sodas then coffee for me. I have 3 kids. At one time I could fit into a size 5...would be happy to get bk down to a size 7. Right now am at about a size 13-16 depending on the brand.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Were you always overweight? No, I had a bit of yo-yo-ing throughout my adult life, but was never super overweight
    Or were you once a healthy weight? Even at my heaviest I was only a few pounds overweight by BMI standards
    Did you "let yourself go"? Yes, I guess I did to a certain extent. After my fourth child was born life got busy. It was hard to exercise and I found myself taking a lot of pleasure from food.
    Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication? No, not really, other than having four kids- and my husband started to travel with his job.
    And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food? I was overeating mostly fairly good food, restaurant food, and crap food too. I was not exercising.

• Apyl32
    Apyl32 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was in shape until I turned 21 and was pregnant with my first child. I gained almost 90 pounds with her and even though I went to weight watchers right after having her the weight did not come off it just piles on. Its now 11 years later and I'm about 150 pounds more than I was pre-pregnancy. I was also recently diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. The doctor feels my medical issues kicked in while I was pregant with my daughter when my hormones where changing. So all these years I couldnt loose the weight because I was insulin resistant. I recently started metformin to help with this so should be able to loose weight now. I started today!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I ate all teh foodz.

Also
    sabotage.
    This.