Options

Replies

• MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    {quote}Were you always overweight?
    Or were you once a healthy weight?
    Did you "let yourself go"?
    Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication?
    And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?
    [/quote]

When I was young (up to ... oh, maybe 15ish) my weight was appropriate for my height. I was never particularly athletic, but I enjoyed being active. I LIKE healthy foods, always have. As a three year old left unwatched for ten seconds in the grocery cart, I would break into mushrooms over cookies every time. The problem was that as I hit puberty, I took after my short, curvaceous paternal grandmother instead of my tall, slender, 70s-swimsuit-model mother. I remember being aware that my parents thought I was too heavy before that, but I didn't start caring until I was in middle school. In sixth or seventh grade I remember asking my mother for Slim Fast because I'd heard them discussing my weight again when they thought I wasn't listening. She balked, but gave in rather quickly.

After that it was all down hill. I started skipping breakfast because I preferred to sleep in the extra half hour. I discovered that I got a bigger energy boost out of taking a twenty minute nap during lunch than out of inhaling cafeteria food. So I would go all day with nothing to eat, then get home to my mother's dinners, which alternated between carb bombs (she made amazing beef stroganoff) and tasteless "healthy" things (don't even get me started on what that woman did to perch) that I politely picked at and then raided the cupboards and fridge all evening.

I developed a habit of eating 2 or 3 huge baked potatoes loaded with butter and salt and pepper for Sunday lunch because I could have them ready in 15 minutes while my mother puttered around with the early dinner she wouldn't serve for another 3 hours. Got really fond of pistachios... to this day I can't bring the 16oz home because it'll be gone in two days. If I'm lucky. The boobs appeared, sooner than everybody else in my class, had a full C cup (as big as my mother's) by the end of 8th grade. The locker room? Trés awkward. Didn't help that I was basically the social outcast in a very small school. My father's sole comment on my senior photos (the first professional photos I'd ever had taken just for me)? "Meh... a bit to Rubens-esque for my taste." I was 17, and devastated. Didn't occur to me until years later that the sick *kitten* was sexualizing his teenage daughter. Suffice it to say he preferred my mother's body type because it lent itself to a young appearance, and she cultivated that to please him. My more full-figured type didn't appeal to him, and he made sure I knew it.

So yeah, I hit college set up to fail miserably in the weight control department. Life without parents hovering? I ate as I pleased, snacked, and surprisingly didn't gain too much at first... the campus was set up to encourage walking, and I was dating a boy who loved to do just that, so we walked EVERYWHERE that wasn't ridiculously far away. End of freshman year I was running... oh, maybe 150ish. Spent that summer in New Jersey as a camp counselor (best job EVER... well, 2nd best, best was costuming a summer theatre), and came home so thin and tan my own mother looked straight at me in the airport and kept scanning the crowd.

I got lectured for neglecting my sunscreen (a load of whooey, I'd used it constantly, you just get dark outside all day every day), and told I looked like I'd been raiding the campers' candy stashes.

The weight started sneaking on again at that point, and by the time I met my husband, I was hovering around 170-180. Got up to 190-200 toward graduation, dropped back to 180 for the wedding in 2006, then fought back and forth over 200-220 for several years. When I found out I was pregnant (at barely 4 weeks gone), I weight 222 flat. I lost twenty pounds during the first half of the pregnancy purely because the little monkey was making me so darned sick I could barely eat. Random cravings aside, I mostly survived the pregnancy on Sprite and McDonalds french fries. I walked into triage a grand total of 4 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. Two weeks after the birth I was flirting with 200 pounds.

Enter a refluxing baby, a faltering milk supply, and Domperidone.

Great galactalogue. Nobody warned me about the weight gain side effects, and before I knew it, that twenty pounds was back and it brought friends. Cold turkey'd the meds, but was too tired & busy with a baby to do much else.

Fast forward to about five months ago... I started having constant back pain, right where my bra band hits. I figured I'd thrown out my back, easy enough with a growing kid, right? Except it never healed despite being super careful. Two weeks ago I ended up in the ER because I couldn't hold ANY food down, and someone finally ordered an ultrasound instead of telling me "oh it's just muscle strain". Sure enough, bad gall bladder. I was in the hospital for a week on nothing but IV saline and antibiotics, had the gall bladder out. Dropped ten pounds all told that week.

Portion control became my best friend overnight. The surgeons were trying to scare me into bigger dietary changes than were necessary, according to the nutritionist, and she was right... I can still HAVE my treats, I just can't stuff myself anymore. I no longer have a choice... unless I want to be utterly miserable every time I indulge, I have to change how I fuel and care for my body.

Since getting home I've dropped another thirteen pounds, twenty-three altogether. My next "milestone" goal is that 200 mark. I want to see a 1 in the first slot when I step on that scale, and never see that 2 appear in anything but the second or third position again.

After that, the next milestone is 180, because I want to buy myself the Flirty Girl workout kit with the dance pole and learn to USE that sucker.

End goal right now is 150 pounds. That's more than I weighed in high-school, but I was never healthy in high school. I was skinny-fat at best because my habits and mentality were horrible. I want to see a toned, healthy, sustainable body and I want to do it while maintaining emotional health so that I can teach my children to love their bodies by loving mine.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For me, it was mostly a combination of medical issues.

1. I had a bunion and no longer wanted to walk anywhere.
    2. I am hypothyroid, and I was REALLY tired for a few years.
    3. I was on some migraine medication that also made me drowsy.

So, since I was eating more or less the same, but my activity level dropped dramatically for several years, I gained.

I'm losing it now, and I am also a lot healthier than I was a few years ago.
  • freshvl
    freshvl Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've been depressed on and off my whole life to varying degrees, when depressed i seem to eat a lot, and now i'm fat
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    I started out a normal healthy weight for my height and my first semester of college i actually ended up losing weight!
    then my serious boyfriend and i broke up (i went to that college TO be with him) and i gave up working out, watching anything i ate and picked up some major bad food habits aaaaand, you guessed it, LOTS of weekend binge drinking. like, excessive amounts 3 times a week.
    then i met my current boyfriend and weighed about 203 eeesh... over the next 6 months i added 30 lbs to that. we went out together, we ate out more than half of our meals... it was just BAD.
    once we moved in together my weight gain (mercifully) plateaued for about 8 months and now here i am. trying to lose all this weight i've gained from sadness, alcohol and not caring.

luckily, i care A LOT. i am fairly certain i'm moving to florida this summer and i am NOT going down there with this body. :)
  • wldrose75
    Options
    I was underweight until I was about 3 years old. Then I conquered that problem. :smile: I learned my eating habits and poor lifestyle (no exercise) at home. I grew up eating fried, fried, fried with extra gravy. Mom and I did Weight Watchers when I was 8 or 9. I remember being counselled by the doctor because I weighed 101 lbs at the start of 5th grade, 131 that next summer. I just never looked back. I played basketball in 8th and was in the best shape of my life, but then moved to a much bigger school for high school where you had to "make" the team, not just show up. I went back to my no exercise existance. In high school, my mother and I were living by ourselves, my folks having gotten divorced. There were many a time she would choose to have a giant ice cream sundae for dinner instead of real food. I come by my poor relationship with food naturally, by my teaching. Monkey see, monkey do. By the time I graduated high school, I was pushing 200#. I not only ate the wrong things in way too large portions, I also ate mindlessly. I remember more than once finding myself standing in front of the fridge with the door open, browsing the shelves, and not having any memory of how I got there, not even remembering walking into the kitchen. I wasn't hungry. I was just snacking. I think it was a mix of boredom and depression. When I was 19 or 20 I was diagnosed with bi-polar mood disorder. I would have manic episodes, but lived primarily on the depressed pole of my disorder. Food was comfort. I've yoyo dieted in short spurts but never had the will power/motivation to keep it going. Often during my marriage, my partner would come home from work and ask if I'd had dinner. I'd say yes. The next question was always, "what?" The reply didn't vary much. It was either, "chips," or "cookies." My partner would then point out that chips (or cookies) weren't "real food" and that I needed to eat "real food." It would make me so angry. I'd always wonder, "why can't you just mind your own business." :smile: Of course, a couple hours later I'd be hungry again and finish off the second half of the bag of chips or cookies. As they have a way of doing, the years moved on, the pounds packed on and the activity levels dropped even lower. Even watching the woman who taught me my eating habits (my mom) struggle with her weight, take tons of medicine and go through surgery after surgery due to her type 2 diabetes and her knee and hip problems that were exacerbated by being overweight wasn't enough to get me to change. I'd hit my highest known weight (213 on 5'5") and kept telling myself it didn't matter, that I didn't mind being fat, that I couldn't lose the weight, that it wasn't worth dieting so just eat another honey bun (or 3). Not really sure what changed. I was looking for a calorie counter online one night and came across MFP. Tomorrow will be my 5 week mark and I'm down 10 lbs (from 206.5). This is the longest I've stuck with ANY "diet." I think its having to log it all every day and see the cold hard truth. :smile:
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    High school cafeteria is what got me fat. I currently weigh 145 lbs, but I was close to 180 a few months back. I lost more than 20 lbs due to a medical condition, and I am on a mission to keep it off and lose a little more :)
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I started out skinny but started gaining weight in the 4th grade or so. I was very shy, and I didn't have many friends at the time. So I was a stress/emotional eater (and I'm still working on fixing that). I regularly ate fast food and other junk, didn't exercise and didn't know anything about nutrition. My parents never really cooked healthy food; they have weight issues as well. I lost a good amount of weight my first two years of college (a few years ago) but ended up gaining more of it back a year or so later because of non-weight related health issues, and changes in major/job/time commitments that lead me to eating fast food almost 2 times a day. I think I would've started taking better care of myself earlier if I had believed I was worth the effort. I have a lot more positive people in my life now and a better mindset, so I'm in a better position to be healthy.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I was not a thin child, but I wasn't what you would say fat...I was on the high end of the weight chart and the low end of the height chart. I slowly allowed myself the eat and eat. I have gained and lost 10 to 20 pounds over and over again. No horribly traumatic events caused my overeating. I must say that I just love food. Given the opportunity I will always choose to eat. I MUST list everything I eat every day. I am an overeater. I gained about 10 pounds with each child (I have 7). I had a few miscarriages (managed to gain about 10 with those too). I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, sad, bored, lonely, etc.
    I basically gained weight on crap and processed foods. So...when I hit my 40s...I just let myself go. I figured it was okay to be a plump and dumpy middle-aged woman. I got up to 215 pounds (I'm 5'2"). Then a friend said that she was going to go on a diet just so her clothes would fit better. I thought that I could stand to do that also...so I gave it a try. And I lost 5 pounds the first month...then the second month I lost some more. Then people started noticing. So...90 pounds lighter (took a year and a half) I realize that I don't have to be the plump and dumpy middle-aged woman. I can be all that I want. I just have to log EVERYTHING!
  • bamshunny
    bamshunny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I guess I've always been a little over weight. I can remember as a little girl always having a little pot belly. When I met my husband I weighed 140 pounds but was always able to suck in my belly and give it the not there appearance.

I became overweight and later obese ( according to my BMI ) after I got married. I got married, I got comfortable and I had 3 babies without ever bothering to lose the pregnancy weight from the previous child.

I started this journey at 194 pounds with a BMI of 31.3. Today I weigh 170.6 wit a BMI of 27.5.

My goal is 140 which will give me a BMI of 22.6. That is my goal but if I could get down to 130 that would be amazing as I can't tell you the last time I weighed 130 pounds. I remember weighing 120 in 7th grade and feeling so fat compared to others. I may have been a little on the chunky side but I wasn't fat...looking back now. I would give anything to be back there.

And Oh, I'm pretty sure I've finally kicked the baby weight to the curb. I don't remember what I weighed when I got pregnant with my first but my very first OB appointment ( at almost 5 months pregnant, thanks to my insurance screwing me over) I weighed 175. This morning I hit 170.6. This feels amazing!!
  • Ashlilee
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have weighed between 125 - 135 since I was 17. I was always healthy, active and approximately a size 6. One morning my husband woke up and was suffering from severe abdominal pains and bloat. That started us on a nearly 2-year journey through medical mystery after medical mystery seeking a diagnosis and cure from a doctor. We were constantly told that he needed to eliminate something from his diet that was agitating his stomach. In two years we tried no red meats then no sugar then no gluten then limit starches then high in fish then wheat-only, then high in fruit/veggies then it switched to low in fruit/veggies. In order to help him stick to his diet restrictions and adhere to these new plans in an attempt to get him healthy I went on all these new diet changes with him. He dropped to approx 163lbs (he is 6'0") but was sick and unhealthy. I dropped to about 124 (from 135) but felt unhealthy and tired. Eventually, just last June, we finally discovered the culprit of his illness (chronic long-term appendicitis) and he had surgery. After his recovery he could suddenly eat again! He wanted to put weight back on so we started eating all of the things he couldn't eat while he was sick. We both gained about 30 pounds! For him it means he was back to a very healthy and confident 193 but for me it means an overweight 158. At 5'2" a weight of 158 is considered "slightly obese" and I need to lose weight. I need to figure out how I can eat and be healthy at approx 130 while maintaining my husband's appetite and food preferences.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    honestly, when you read my baby book, all it says is how much i loved to eat as a baby. even daycare workers were surprised at how much one baby could eat lol!

my moms a very giving woman and one time someone at daycare said she wasn't giving me enough to eat for my lunches and so she started overloading my lunches because she felt bad. and was embarrassed.

luckily i was an active pre teen and LOVED sports. but i was also bullied which made me drop out of any sports i was doing around the age of 13. then my only friend moved away and i gained weight like crazy by staying in and never doing anything. i was VERY big for a 14-15 year old, and believe me, i was teased like crazy. i was chased home, had things thrown at me, pushed into lockers. the words have still stuck with me though, unfortunately.

highschool came and i dropped about 60lbs by doing drugs and drinking and barely eating. then i had a traumatic year at the age of 17 and gained a boyfriend who didn't make me feel good about myself. i slowely gained about 20-30lbs with him and when we broke up, i gained another 10 every year. i went from 130 to 210.
    i'm 22 now and i'm determined to finally lose this weight again.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    For years I worked a manual labor job up until I had a hip replacement back in 2000. I could eat 5000 calories a day and not gain. After, I was unable to go back to manual labor and started doing office work and I was not able to shut off the eating habits.
  • dolphinswimmer15
    Options
    I was a heavy baby, a chubby toddler, a pudgy preschooler, a fat preteen/teen. My parents fed me to much of the wrong stuff. It wasn't till I was 15 that I started changing things. TO "shut us up" My dad would give us a dollar each and we would get a 50Cent soda and 2 25 cent little Debbie cakes each. They would take us to Burger King 2-3X a week and At 12 I would get a double whopper, large soda, large fries and a milkshake. I could eat it all and still be hungry.

I'm chubby now because I'm seriously addicted to carbs

Were you always overweight?
    * Chubby baby, scrawny toddler/kid (like seriously skin and bones). I ate a lot of bad food choices as a kid (see the above, borrowed quote), didn't know better, but I still couldn't gain weight. Then about puberty I started having self-image issues. Gained weight kinda slowly, skimming that 165 (which looking back is the high end of normal) line as a senior in HS

*Maybe, for 3 months around puberty, start of coming into the AF

*Yes a lot. After gaining 20 lbs (see next question), I lived in England for 4 years and used the excuse that it was too dark and depressing outside to do anything (including inside), so I gained ≈10-15 more. Finally I PCS'd (military moved) to Las Vegas (where I gained another 10-12, but man that American food I missed so much was AMAZING)

*During my year long technical training for my AF job, I learned I had an injury in basic, that didn't really started to get better until about a 12-15 months after the injury. During this time (I let myself go) I ate the same type and amount as my now husband, even though he was doing PT and I was not.

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?
    *Yes because even though I was a "healthy" weight, I didn't do so well on the skin fold test as a freshman. As a kid I always played outside, as a teen I rode my bike almost everywhere, enjoyed PE in school, even did Personal Fitness as a senior (when I decided I wanted to join the AF). Even though I was active I was eating a lot of crap foods though. I would go through a case of Mt Dew in about 2 weeks, but hey I was buying it with my job money, and my whole *mostly overweight* family drank soda. I ate out a lot (I worked two part time jobs, one at Domino's pizza and one at McDonald's, while being a full time HS student).

Now, I had my wake up call (back in December), I'm ≈ 2 lbs away from reaching my pre-Las Vegas weight, ≈17 lbs away from my pre-England weight, ≈30 lbs away from my post basic military training (BMT) weight,≈ 32 lbs away from my pre BMT weight, and ≈37 lbs away from my goal weight. The only person who needs convinced, has been convinced. She has a PT test in 5 months. Look out world here I come.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I always fought my weight--not by a lot, maybe 15 or 20 lbs over where I should be. I'm 5'8ish.

At 27 I gained 70 lbs with my first pregnancy, lost about 50 of it. At 30 gained 50 lbs with my second, lost most of it.

In my 30s I got really active--cardio kickboxing, hiking, some running.

In my 40s got tired and injured and lazy. Took on a 2 hour commute every day. Minimal workouts, eating too much, drinking too much...the weight came on.

3 years ago, I got serious again. Did a bunch of Jillian Michaels dvds and loosely followed her eating plan. Lost 25 lbs. Kept most of it off. Tore something in my shoulder on vacation (labrum tear suspected), had to curtail the workouts. Then had surgery (not for the shoulder), had to wait 6 weeks before I could do anything but walk.

Laziness set in.

10 lbs came back.

Now I'm back to working out, eating better, drinking less, logging everything. Aiming for the original 160 goal weight, plus an extra 5-10 lbs off just for good measure.
  • toasmallerme
    Options
    NO. Started using sugar and bad foods to ward off depression at 16 after a life changing event.

At 15 I was a size 6. Skinny as a rake.

Yes, on purpose infact. I thought if I was overweight and ugly people would not notice me and there for I could fade into the background.

Bang on!!! Traumatic event.

At the beginning of this year I started putting myself first and it was long overdue. Have now been eating healthy since then and have lost 30lbs so far. Another 30lbs to go.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight. My family didn't eat very well. We would have fried chicken at least once a week and I had no concept of nutrition. I was a pretty active child. I played soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball, and I did karate for most of my childhood, but I still ate terribly. I was a size 18 at my heaviest, when I was about 15 years old. I've been slowly losing weight since then, but I've decided that I don't want to wait anymore. I began a struggle with anorexia (yes, fat girls can be anorexia) about a year ago and it's been a demon that I've had to fight ever since, though it's much better now.
  • BrieJJ
    Options
    Kinda, I was a chubby kid... my mom was morbidly obese and cooked like it so that didn't help me out much.

I got to a somewhat healthy weight in a very unhealthy manner in my last year of Junior high, kept it off for that year.... then high school happened

Totally and completely... High school came along, I was depressed, I drank to much liquor, ate too much pizza, sat in front of the tv playing hours of video games, smoked tooooooo much weed followed by toooo many family sized bags of chips... and it didn't help that the "home cooked" meals I did get were awful and loaded with cheese and oil.

I moved out of my house when I was 18, piled on even more weight eating cheap garbage food... I had no idea how to shop for decent food, or cook for that matter. Its been a long road teaching myself what good food is, and riding myself of tons of habits I was raised to think were "normal and healthy". I read all ingredients in EVERYTHING I eat now, no more take out, and the last time I ate chips they were homemade sweet potato chips baked in the oven:) I've lost over 100lbs. got 59 left to go to reach my goal.

P.S. Not to brag but serriously I'm an awesome cook now.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Were you always overweight? Nope! I was one of the skinnier girls who grew up around body dismorphia and learned to hate my appearance.

Or were you once a healthy weight? Most of my life. Didn't start gaining until 5 years ago at the sprout of PCOS. My best and most frequent weight was 120.

Did you "let yourself go"? Not necessarily, it was more of me eating like I always had before my body started producing too much testosterone. My hormones couldn't keep up with my eating habits so I spiraled out of control, even though I didn't change my diet.

Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication? I didn't change for the positive when I should have.

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food? I was fairly active, but my body started processing food differently and I gained weight out of 'thin air'... see previous food habits. >.> Was active my whole life though, only became sedentary after being overweight and depressed.

Edit: 5 years overweight, not 3. My, how time flies. :sad:
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fast food and not exercising. My inactivity was so bad that when I started waitressing, I dropped 20 within a month and a half while still eating the same.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I was always the fat kid.

Nope. Been over 200 lbs. since I was eleven.

No.

Nope...just a fat kid.

Nope. Was always a fat kid.