Daily 600 net calories, no weight lost. What's wrong?

Options

Replies

• GiniAldam74
    GiniAldam74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whilst I understand that eating not enough is as bad as eating too much this is hard.. my calorie ddaily allowance is 1100, for example yesterday i burnt 1450 cals leaving me 399 net calories. i had eaten enough and cannot eat just because the calories are there to be consumed, just cannot eat if not hungry am sure thats not hjealthy either. weekly according to fitness pal i need to burn 3500 cals or there about, generally i do about 5000 or more in exercise. my calories do vary but not extensivly, maybe i go over on a saturday but 300 cals to 1500 or so but thats not bad, yet no weight loss now. just plateued...getting dispondant now as i work hard at keeping fit and healthyish.
    Any ideas?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Whilst I understand that eating not enough is as bad as eating too much this is hard.. my calorie ddaily allowance is 1100, for example yesterday i burnt 1450 cals leaving me 399 net calories. i had eaten enough and cannot eat just because the calories are there to be consumed, just cannot eat if not hungry am sure thats not hjealthy either. weekly according to fitness pal i need to burn 3500 cals or there about, generally i do about 5000 or more in exercise. my calories do vary but not extensivly, maybe i go over on a saturday but 300 cals to 1500 or so but thats not bad, yet no weight loss now. just plateued...getting dispondant now as i work hard at keeping fit and healthyish.
    Any ideas?

The answer to your questions lie in the comments and links provided above to the OP. Read them :flowerforyou:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

Why did you pick a 1100 daily allowance?

When you say your burned 1450, do you mean in exercise, or just through daily living?

A bit of rough maths for you

asuming a BMR of 1400, even if you were sedentary your TDEE would be 1400x1.25 = 1750.
    But you aren't sedentary, so if we add in your 700 calorie exercise burn = 1750 + 700 = 2450 calories

So with a TDEE of around 2450, you could be losing eating 1800-2000 calories a day, which would be giving you far better nutrition to help you get the best from those workouts.

(Ok, the BMR may not be spot on, but you get the picture)
  • brettblanchard
    Options
    This may seem counter-intuitive, but try NOT exercising so much! Try Googling "exercise less to lose weight"...or any search phrase to that effect. You will find a number of recent studies indicating that burning calories through strenuous exercise to lose weight is counterproductive.

Depending on your metabolism and genetic make-up, rigorous exercise may be doing two things:

1. Increasing your hunger.
    2. Decreasing your metabolism.

I had the same problem for quite some time; assiduously monitoring calories, and exercising religiously to burn calorie intake...and did not lose weight. I didn't start losing until I actually significantly scaled back my exercise regimen.

Good luck to you!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It could be in terms of likelihood:

a) you are underestimating the amount of calories you are eating (how confident are you about your methods - do you weigh your food etc)
    b) you are over estimating your calorie burn (again - check your methods)
    c) you are retaining water either due to your (new?) exercise routine or your diet
    d) your routine has resulted in an inefficient fat loss scenario meaning the rate of loss is painfully slow and not showing up on the scale (so either eat more or do less activity or both)
  • NaH2DC
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments, but I would like to specify few more things.
    1) I am not eating only 600 calories/day. That number is a "net". I am eating 3 meals per day and a snack. I sleep well and feel great. I am not starving myself.
    2) I am already in my "healthy weight" zone. I do understand that above normal BMI will require more daily calorie.

After reading your posts, I decided to increase my daily intake by 200-300 calories, this will add me another meals and I will now eat 4-5 meals per day. I like my exercise, it is difficult to think that i would reduce it. After all, 3lbs in 1 month is not bad at all at this point. I just need to be consistent and patient.

I am interested to hear more from people that are now in their healthy weight zone, but wants to lose an other 10-15lbs.

Thanks again!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    1) I am not eating only 600 calories/day. That number is a "net". I am eating 3 meals per day and a snack. I sleep well and feel great. I am not starving myself.
    2) I am already in my "healthy weight" zone. I do understand that above normal BMI will require more daily calorie.

After reading your posts, I decided to increase my daily intake by 200-300 calories, this will add me another meals and I will now eat 4-5 meals per day. I like my exercise, it is difficult to think that i would reduce it. After all, 3lbs in 1 month is not bad at all at this point. I just need to be consistent and patient.

I am interested to hear more from people that are now in their healthy weight zone, but wants to lose an other 10-15lbs.

Thanks again!

you are starving yourself on 600 calories NET.

even if you add 300 calories to that, you'll still be starving yourself, just not as quickly.

you said your BMR was 1600. add your exercise to that to find your TDEE and then eat at a modest deficit from that to lose the rest of the weight. why not try TDEE-20% or TDEE-15% and give yourself several weeks to see any changes?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

-snip-

After reading your posts, I decided to increase my daily intake by 200-300 calories,

Yes, you are starving yourself. You need to NET at least your BMR every day. Please actually READ the links people provided.

You're talking to one. I eat 1800-1900 calories per day, and I'm losing steadily.
  • james3302
    Options
    For those not familiar with Layne Norton check out www.biolayne.com to see his education and skill set.

Here is a video that may help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I ate almost double that for dinner LOL
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?

1100 is very likely too low for you. it's too low for probably 98% of all women.

also, i reject the idea that you simply cannot eat enough food to meet your calorie goal. you can, but are choosing not to. change your mindset. if you are choosing to only eat foods like celery and carrots, then of course you are filling yourself up well before you meet your calorie goal. stop excluding calorie dense foods from your diet. that's a choice you are making so change it!

2 tablespoons of peanut butter is 190 calories. unless you are allergic, that's a perfectly healthy way to add some calories to your daily total and i am 100% certain you can eat 2 tbsp of peanut butter even if you think you're full from grazing on celery all day.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough and your body is angry about it.

^ this.

Read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Eat.
    QFT
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

<snip>

I came on here weighing ~137lbs at 5'3" with the goal of losing 15 lbs. I am here now at 122 lbs. I did this by eating twice as much as you, around 1500 a day (in 5-6 meals a day).
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

You're talking to one. I eat 1800-1900 calories per day, and I'm losing steadily.

Me too. I am eating 1700-2000 a day and losing gradually. My goal is 7 more pounds, so slow is expected. I am 5'4" for reference.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Actually it's because you're so close to your goal that you need to eat more. Please read the links provided. You are hurting yourself by eating so little, and yes 600 NET calories is still way too few. You will lose muscle with such a large deficit, especially if your exercise is mostly cardio.

I'm at my goal now, but when I hit the last 10 lbs I bumped up my goal and ate around 1420 plus exercise calories to lose. Be patient and treat your body with respect.

Also make sure you weigh and measure your food accurately. Measuring cups/spoons for free-pouring liquid, food scale for everything else. Enter your own recipes. Do not use recipes already in the database. Make sure your calorie burns are accurate as well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Q: Daily 600 net calories, no weight lost. What's wrong?
    A: Daily 600 net calories
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just asking for clarification from anyone

Intake - Burn = Net

So do you mean that you exercise enough so you're left with 600 calories? and by increasing it to 200-300 that gives you 800-900 calories left right? Sorry I'm new to the lingo

In my personal opinion this seems to be a very low level for calories
    You can always ask a dietitian if you're really unsure. But I think advice from an expert in this field would be wise and should be considered :smile:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Let's see... 600 net calories would be my first guess.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh boy!