Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I blame Biggest Loser for making people think they should consistently be losing 5-10 lbs each week.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(

Actually you can. It just takes longer. This is what I did and it worked, per the advice of the director of fitness at my gym.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    that leangains or Intermitant Fasting is somehow better than traditional 3 meals a day or broscience 6 meals a day.. they are all the same
  • Reza151
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Actually people complaining about this saying is my pet peeve.

The context (that a 180lb person with 10% BF looks better than a 180lb person with 30% BF) makes it pretty clear that everyone is aware that we are talking "for a given equal volume of each". As far as I'm concerned people complaining about this one just want to believe that everyone else is stupid in order to have an excuse to ***** about them.

Yes!
    *high five* THANK YOU
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Actually you can. It just takes longer. This is what I did and it worked, per the advice of the director of fitness at my gym.

but wait..to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus..to lose fat you have to eat at deficit....how the hell...head explodes...BOOM!

Lyle Mcdonald says that the "obese beginner" may be able to lose fat and build some muscle intially but that after a while it is not possible to add muscle while eating in a deficit to lose fat....bodyrecompisition.com...
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Actually people complaining about this saying is my pet peeve.

The context (that a 180lb person with 10% BF looks better than a 180lb person with 30% BF) makes it pretty clear that everyone is aware that we are talking "for a given equal volume of each". As far as I'm concerned people complaining about this one just want to believe that everyone else is stupid in order to have an excuse to ***** about them.

Me too. Does this mean that lead doesn't weigh more than feathers because a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of feathers? No, because that would imply everything in the world weighs the same. Lead weighs more than feathers because if you fill a box with feathers and then fill the same size box with lead, the box of lead will weigh more. Same is true for fat and muscle. This drives me crazy.
  • Reza151
    Options
    eating carbs after X time is bad.....

Oooo this one i've heard so often but I never know what to believe. Elaborate? Links to articles? I understand that weight gain is caused by consuming more calories than you burn. But It's also known that carbs spike your blood sugar, causing you to be hungry shortly after, which is something we generally don't need so close to bedtime (because, ideally, by that time, we've already consumed our calorie limit, or close to it). The other thing is, I've heard (though I don't know if it's true), is that muscle repair happens while you're sleeping but your body can't build the muscls while digesting.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

but wait..to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus..to lose fat you have to eat at deficit....how the hell...head explodes...BOOM!

Lyle Mcdonald says that the "obese beginner" may be able to lose fat and build some muscle intially but that after a while it is not possible to add muscle while eating in a deficit to lose fat....bodyrecompisition.com...

No, you just have to be pretty close to balanced: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    People only believing something to be true after they receive a link to an article.

Because Spinach didnt make Popeye strong until a study confirmed it. Before then it was just Broscience.
  • Reza151
    Options

I should clarify, i think what happenned was that i turned my fat into muscle. I don't understand it too well, but I know that I wasn't eating at a deficit, (I was eating at maintenance, around 2,000 cals), and yet in the span of a year i went form doing 0 pullups to being able to do 2-3, I can lift more, and bench press alot more, and I still managed to lose 8 lbs.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Look up Kris Gethin. He has created a system called DTP that does this. He uses this for himself and his clients, and he is a competitive natural bodybuilder. I did his 12 week system, followed by his rotating 4 week trainer and it works fine for me.
  • Reza151
    Options
    People only believing something to be true after they receive a link to an article.

Because Spinach didnt make Popeye strong until a study confirmed it. Before then it was just Broscience.

In the age of information and technology, i, personally like to do my research before automatically believing something. Besides, so many people are misinformed, or, a game of telephone happens (theyu recieve the information but they pass it on and it gets misunderstood and twisted), that i think it's better to play it safe by doing your research, no?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing with my husband last night why I get so irrationally PISSED OFF at the notion of ***king BODY WRAPS. My idiot SILs hawk them on Facebook, and --completely aside from being supremely annoyed with them for treading on their friendship with me just to make a buck--I can't STAND how many ppl are falling for their crap pitches: "You can look like a model, with NO work, NO diet change, and NO effort!" :noway: :noway: :noway: I CALL BULLSH*T!!! Oh, the LAZINESS of people nowadays!!! Everybody wants the best of everything, but nobody wants to work for it or earn it.

There IS no magic, pill, miracle wrap, or innovative gadget that will make you lose fat, and I want to shake them until they get it through their thick heads.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I should clarify, i think what happenned was that i turned my fat into muscle. I don't understand it too well, but I know that I wasn't eating at a deficit, (I was eating at maintenance, around 2,000 cals), and yet in the span of a year i went form doing 0 pullups to being able to do 2-3, I can lift more, and bench press alot more, and I still managed to lose 8 lbs.

Fat cannot turn into muscle, they are 2 different substances, just like you can't turn silver into gold. and just because you got stronger does not mean you added muscle, it means you got more efficient at doing that movement and using the muscles you already have, otherwise a power lifter would have larger muscles than a bodybuilder, but they don't.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Muscle unquestionably weighs more than fat. Weigh a liter of each and you'll see....
  • Reza151
    Options

Fat cannot turn into muscle, they are 2 different substances, just like you can't turn silver into gold. and just because you got stronger does not mean you added muscle, it means you got more efficient at doing that movement and using the muscles you already have, otherwise a power lifter would have larger muscles than a bodybuilder, but they don't.

But before I couldn't see any definition or individual muscles and now i can?
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Muscle unquestionably weighs more than fat. Weigh a liter of each and you'll see....

You mean it's more dense. ;)
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    technically, what you are saying is that muscle is denser than fat.
    1 lbs of each weighs 1lbs.
    however, 1 lbs of muscle takes up less space than 1 lbs or fat.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    technically, what you are saying is that muscle is denser than fat.
    1 lbs of each weighs 1lbs.
    however, 1 lbs of muscle takes up less space than 1 lbs or fat.

Well of course a lb. weighs a lb. Consequently one would assume it's like volume being compared.
  • fnsmithatc
    fnsmithatc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Top of my list is anyone with even the slightest medical knowledge acting like they are the expert in everything from injuries/unusual pains during workouts to the best way to lose weight for everyone regardless of their medical history or body composition. As an example, I have a neighbor that is an ultra-sound tech and you would think that she went to medical school with the "wisdom" that spews out of her mouth at every opportunity for her to share her "knowledge".

This is one of my pet peeves too... only because I am a Certified Athletic Trainer (not a personal trainer) and I have the background in injuries with athletes and I can't stand when people start spewing incorrect information to people... Stop visiting WebMD and trying to give advice