WOW!!!! 10 Pounds in one week...

Options

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 pounds in 12 weeks doing my gyms' Biggest Loser and won. And then I did not lose any more for a year.
    There was no way I could keep it up. Which way do you want it? 1 pound a week would have gotten me better long term results.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A few seasons back a young woman had to leave the ranch because she had a stress frature in her hip. Yeah, no thanks.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't believe anything I see on TV. It's all fake and edited.

Except Dr Oz. Because he's a real doctor and definitely isn't trying to hock any products :grumble:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i hate t think of the damage they are doing to their metabolism while on that show. if they thought it was bad before... yikes
    Judging by the people who've kept large amounts of I'd say their metabolism are fine. People worry about that way too much in my opinion. Eating 400 calories and netting 400 calories is totally different and a concept many don't understand.

netting 400 calories is in no way healthy. period.

Depends on your weight. It's fine if your very overweight. It reversed my high blood pressure , high heart rate and reversed my type 2.diabetes. Once you get close to goal it isn't healthy, but when over weight it's fine I've worked with many professionals, and my stats show it's done me good. My bloods are now perfect. I know once I get to 180lbs I'll increase calories, but for now it's absolutely fine, just as it is for BL contestants.

Also on 6 months bed rest, I maintained weight whilst eating a good amount, so my metabolism is fine. I'm not saying 400 net is right forever, but it's fie when you have a lot to lose!
  • tbullucks06
    Options
    This was very interesting to read!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Way back in 2000, I lost 10lbs in one week. I did nothing different. I was on a low carb diet. Went from 185lbs->175lbs. I knew that I had lost some weight because none of my clothes were fitting properly, but I was rather shocked when I went on the scale.

I then ate a slice of cheesecake that night.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a "week on the ranch" is not actually 7 days... its actually 2 weeks. They also dont drink water/and workout right before they weigh in. One guy one year who won the BL actually pee blood at the final weight in, Im sure thats healthy seems like a great way to lose weight ;)
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Its not like they're on some fad diet....they're working hard

They are on a TV show; giving up their normal life to spend most of their day exercising and having their food monitored. What happens when the TV show is over and they have to resume their normal lives; their jobs, the school runs, the family BBQs?

There has been quite a few of them that have gone on to take part in the exercise DVDs for the show, become marathon runners, personal trainers, etc.
    I know it's just a TV show but I believe they are given sound advice to keep the weight off and they are taught a lot about fitness and diet in the time they are on the show.
    I'd imagine quite a few of them manage to keep it off.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I listen to Jillian's podcasts. Even she is often frustrated with the way the show is edited and presented. It's TV. It has to show drastic and impressive results and tons of drama or people wouldn't watch.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    You guys are hung up on the TV aspect of it...I'm not concerned if they gain their weight back....What I'm saying is..weight lost can be done at a calorie deficit and rigorous training....people on this site seem to think the contrary..don’t get ,e wrong..I love this site

I was losing a lot of weight when I was throwing up everything I ate. So I guess you're right, it can be done. I just wouldn't recommend it.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Its not like they're on some fad diet....they're working hard

They are on a TV show; giving up their normal life to spend most of their day exercising and having their food monitored. What happens when the TV show is over and they have to resume their normal lives; their jobs, the school runs, the family BBQs?

There has been quite a few of them that have gone on to take part in the exercise DVDs for the show, become marathon runners, personal trainers, etc.
    I know it's just a TV show but I believe they are given sound advice to keep the weight off and they are taught a lot about fitness and diet in the time they are on the show.
    Nah most get fat again.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20299_5-depressing-realities-behind-popular-reality-tv-shows.html
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In order to keep the weight off you need to deal with some of the demons that got you to put it on in the first place. One thing about Biggest Loser is that the coaches seem to try to identify and root out some of those demons. They will and do come out in the intensity of the show and some of those moments are pretty sweet when the trainer sits down and works through it with the contestant.
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How many weeks do the contestants compete? Most people don't hit plateaus until the are 3-4 months in.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Well I was curious so I did some Googling and found a list of 58 contestants spanning from Series 1 to Series 11. Here is the breakdown of those 58:

Since end of program
    Gained weight - 48
    Lose weight - 5
    No change - 0
    No data - 3

From that it would seem that, in fact, most do not maintain their losses and it is, perhaps, more a case that a few 'stars' go on to be celebs in the fitness industry and give the impression that the show is rather more successful than it it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    considering 1 Lb of fat = 3,500 calories I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that most of that 10 lb loss was water. You know...science and stuff. Nobody loses 10 Lbs of lard in a week.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i hate t think of the damage they are doing to their metabolism while on that show. if they thought it was bad before... yikes
    Judging by the people who've kept large amounts of I'd say their metabolism are fine. People worry about that way too much in my opinion. Eating 400 calories and netting 400 calories is totally different and a concept many don't understand.

netting 400 calories is in no way healthy. period.

Depends on your weight. It's fine if your very overweight. It reversed my high blood pressure , high heart rate and reversed my type 2.diabetes. Once you get close to goal it isn't healthy, but when over weight it's fine I've worked with many professionals, and my stats show it's done me good. My bloods are now perfect. I know once I get to 180lbs I'll increase calories, but for now it's absolutely fine, just as it is for BL contestants.

Also on 6 months bed rest, I maintained weight whilst eating a good amount, so my metabolism is fine. I'm not saying 400 net is right forever, but it's fie when you have a lot to lose!

so you don't think that you would have been able to achieve those same results if you would have eaten at 20%, or even 25% if you have a lot of weight to lose, under your TDEE? You think you still would have had high BP and your diabetes wouldn't have been controllable with a good, healthy diet?
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to make a simple point as to how training and calories effect weight loss...I'm not trying to lose 10 Ibs in a week....I know its just t.v....it just shows everyone can lose weight no matter your age or size..
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    It is the premise of the biggest loser that "extreme exercise" coupled with calorie goals cause dramatic weight loss. I've seen the show's doctor say that in an interview. I think the contestants eat a 1200 calorie diet and workout four hours a day.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    considering 1 Lb of fat = 3,500 calories I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that most of that 10 lb loss was water. You know...science and stuff. Nobody loses 10 Lbs of lard in a week.

they were in week 7 or 8
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to make a simple point as to how training and calories effect weight loss...I'm not trying to lose 10 Ibs in a week....I know its just t.v....it just shows everyone can lose weight no matter your age or size..

Except that it doesn't. A few months back, I took a couple of weeks to experiment with water manipulation. At 5'4" and 145, I "lost" 4 pounds in 24 hours, and was down a total of 6 pounds in three days. I mean, I guess that proves that everyone can lose "weight", but that's not generally what people mean when they say that's what they want to do.