you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    46 is not too old to start running....

get your loved ones to sign the shoes you are going to run your first race in..

smile at other runners..

you do NOT need water for a 5k ( or a 10k ) run

take a decent dump before you set off

store an ICE number on your phone ( Incase of EmergenCy) and disable the pin protection on your smart phone during your run

have a humble heart and help others like so many people in this thread have..
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

<3 Thank you for that.
  • Jamotto
    Jamotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

you do NOT need water for a 5k ( or a 10k ) run

For sure. I can't stand to carry a bunch of crap with me. If my run is less than 8 miles, I'm not bringing water. I just hydrate really well before and after. Chewing gum can help with dry mouth. Some people are prone to dehydration though, so know your needs before you go and don't be afraid to carry it if you need it! :drinker:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    If you only run once a week, it's ok. I did this for three months and nothing bad happened.
  • shannypoo21
    Options
    I really appreciate this thread. I've been running for about 2 years now and there is still more for me to learn! I'm not sure if it's already been said but...

-stay to the right, the left is for passing
    -if running with others don't run side by side causing havoc for people to get past
    -wave, smile, say hi to others
    -encourage yourself continually, this is for your greater good
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ooh, a tip I've found useful:

When judging what to wear for outdoor runs, dress as if it was 10C warmer.
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The bear spray always comes with me. I bring it for the Grizzly's but I find I like the protection from the two legged animals out there. It is good to be safe when you are a woman running alone. I have had too many scary guys slow down and pass me a few too many times. Always tell someone your route as well.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    guys I gotta say thanks a lot for this thread! I want to be a good runner so badly but keep getting discouraged and slacking off. This thread is not only helpful but inspiring, its got me in the mood to run!! =] :flowerforyou:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Love this...=)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you go you are a runner and awesome!

When I started a year and a half ago a 13 minute/mile was on the fast side for me. I'm a smidgeon faster now (closer to 12 minute/mile) but tend to run into a lot of other runners at my work who crank out the 7 or 8 min/mile and then still complain about how slow they are. So I think to myself, if these people had started running late into life and found the best they could do was a 13 min/mile would they still be running a year later? Probably not. So I ESPECIALLY commend the slower runners because I think it takes dedication to keep at it when you are slow and it doesn't always come easy to you.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Im just starting to run more than a mile so bump for reading and learning!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I need motivation later. Training for my first 1/2 in May!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some tips about keeping your shoulders relaxed? I've been running for about 6 months now and constantly find my shoulders up around my ears!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some tips about keeping your shoulders relaxed? I've been running for about 6 months now and constantly find my shoulders up around my ears!

Are hands relaxed? That's first start, tense hands goes right up the arms to the shoulders.

Outside that, every so often purposely notice and relax them. Tell yourself to notice every cross walk, or some other land mark. And if music distracts you from noticing that you are doing it, may be other things you are missing too. May need to skip the music to listen and notice the body more.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yup, relax hands and wrists to help with tense shoulders.

And OMG foam rolling your IT and hip flexors after each run is awesome!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love this thread so much. I went from hating anything cardio related to preparing to run my first race next month using C25k. I'm going to make that race my ***** and then go on to train using the 5k210k program. Running has changed my life in a way that nothing else ever has. Distance running is so empowering because it really is mind over matter, and knowing that I'm not getting in my own way anymore, with fitness OR life, makes me feel amazing.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later!!