Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options

Replies

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    [

all these examples are using comparable measurements....wherease the one that started this is not using comparable measurments.....volume and weight are two different measurements with two different meanings.
    suit yourself as to your choice of miscommunications....if it floats your boat, keep doing it. Do recognize you may be causing someone else confusion.

To be fair now, that's a tad patronising.
    not trying to be patronising....just recognizing that people will continue to do as the wish.
    I feel I've made my point about accuracy in what we're saying....and I do understand the desire to use shortcuts. However, I also recognize that it leads to confusion.

Hope you have a good day, and that this discussion hasn't caused any stress.
    [/quote]

Not at all, I've genuinly enjoyed it. If we can't argue useless semantics with strangers on the internet then I see no reason for Broadband? I would however suggest that the use of universally accepted figures of speech or spoken norms doesn't so much constitute a desire for shortcuts as it does an acceptance of the use of everyday speech and and mannerisms.
    It's going out of your way to correct those said mannerisms that demonstrates a desire.
    But that said, we have both made our points, so all the best to ya fella.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a good day, and that this discussion hasn't caused any stress.
    Same. Sometimes people actually take this stuff seriously, but these threads are usually funny, as this one is. :)
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    See what you've done now?
    You've ruined it for everyone!!
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Uh I'll just go ahead and respond to the original post....

It drives me crazy when people act like you can never eat bacon, chocolate or pizza again. You must eat clean for the rest of your life or you will get fat again and DIE.....no, no I won't thank you. I've been able to lose and maintain perfectly fine while eating all of that stuff and more.
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(

Whaaaaaaat?!?!?! Great...just ruined my day...:noway:

I disagree. I think that you CAN do both "at the same time." I know that I have greater muscle mass today than when I began my quest, yet I've dropped a lot of fat.

Q - If one eats more than TDEE at or around workout days yet still nets under TDEE over, e.g., a month, can muscle be added? What are the "cutoffs" that validate the "can't be done" theory? Over TDEE one day? Two? Under TDEE three days?

No, you can't.

If by "at the same time" you mean the EXACT. SAME. MOMENT. then I agree. OTT, I disagree as alluded to with my questions above.
  • sccet
    Options

Actually you can. It just takes longer. This is what I did and it worked, per the advice of the director of fitness at my gym.

but wait..to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus..to lose fat you have to eat at deficit....how the hell...head explodes...BOOM!

Lyle Mcdonald says that the "obese beginner" may be able to lose fat and build some muscle intially but that after a while it is not possible to add muscle while eating in a deficit to lose fat....bodyrecompisition.com...

...your last sentence just disproved the "absolute rule." Add mine to the mass of exploding heads.....
  • scalenzani
    Options
    Agreed
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That any pill, powder, shake, or fitness gimmick works. They *ALL* include changing to healthy meals, which in itself will work better.

HAHA I love this one :) Hardwork is the only this that works longterm
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.

Actually people complaining about this saying is my pet peeve.

The context (that a 180lb person with 10% BF looks better than a 180lb person with 30% BF) makes it pretty clear that everyone is aware that we are talking "for a given equal volume of each". As far as I'm concerned people complaining about this one just want to believe that everyone else is stupid in order to have an excuse to ***** about them.

This!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Uh I'll just go ahead and respond to the original post....

It drives me crazy when people act like you can never eat bacon, chocolate or pizza again. You must eat clean for the rest of your life or you will get fat again and DIE.....no, no I won't thank you. I've been able to lose and maintain perfectly fine while eating all of that stuff and more.

I literally ate large amounts of bacon, chocolate AND pizza, all in the past week. Look how fat and disgusting I am. Please, somebody stage an intervention and stop me from myself before I become so obese they need to cut a hole in the wall to get me out of my house...
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Myth: Muscle weighs more than fat.

Myth: Muscle is more dense than fat.

Myth: Muscle has less volume than fat.

Myth: Muscle is more massive than fat.

Myth: Muscle has less entropy than fat.

Myth: Muscle has a higher specific gravity than fat.

All these statements can be made true if a specific context is added, even if it is only implied. I explained in an earlier post. If you don't understand what I am talking about here, you have no business being in the argument. I'm talking about the science. Words are imperfect.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Only water counts as water." So as soon as you've dangled a green tea bag in your H2O for 30 seconds, you've completely wrecked its ability to give any benefit of hydration to your system. Soup? Doesn't count as a liquid, apparently. It's only natural that any liquid found in fruits or vegetables (even in juice form) evaporates the instant it touches your teeth, preventing it from adding in any way to the amount of hydration you've gotten in a day.
  • BigDougie1211
    Options

All these statements can be made true if a specific context is added, even if it is only implied. I explained in an earlier post. If you don't understand what I am talking about here, you have no business being in the argument. I'm talking about the science. Words are imperfect.

Oh it's understood, it's just that a lot of it would view the specific definition as being unnecessary for conversational or general purposes.
  • sccet
    Options
    "Only water counts as water." So as soon as you've dangled a green tea bag in your H2O for 30 seconds, you've completely wrecked its ability to give any benefit of hydration to your system. Soup? Doesn't count as a liquid, apparently. It's only natural that any liquid found in fruits or vegetables (even in juice form) evaporates the instant it touches your teeth, preventing it from adding in any way to the amount of hydration you've gotten in a day.

So much this.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Myth: any of the above statements are even the slightest bit relevant to a conversation on this website. :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Science, shmience. It's common sense that tells us what someone means when they say "Muscle weighs more than fat".
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Science, shmience. It's common sense that tells us what someone means when they say "Muscle weighs more than fat".

There is an old trick question that gets a lot of people who don't know it, "What weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?"

Because it makes so much sense for you to be talking about weight by volume, people outright ignore the fact that your are explicitly comparing by a measurement of weight.

That is how much people are going to think you are talking about density. They will assume it is what you are doing even when you go out of your way not to do it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Actually you can. It just takes longer. This is what I did and it worked, per the advice of the director of fitness at my gym.

but wait..to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus..to lose fat you have to eat at deficit....how the hell...head explodes...BOOM!

Lyle Mcdonald says that the "obese beginner" may be able to lose fat and build some muscle intially but that after a while it is not possible to add muscle while eating in a deficit to lose fat....bodyrecompisition.com...

...your last sentence just disproved the "absolute rule." Add mine to the mass of exploding heads.....

hahahahaa...well he says in the article that if you are starting at 30% body fat that you will put on some muscle in first four weeks but then this stops.....
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    "Im a NATURAL bodybuilder" but recently went off, "im a natural" but is on TRT, "im a natural" but uses grey market not yet classified prohormones and prosteroids....
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    My only contention: guys who come out of prison who only every OVERTRAINED, hitting arms and chest ONLY, EVERYDAY, on hypocaloric, low quality diets and zero to no supplements, and have 20 inch guns....CONSISTENTLY...