do you work out infront of your other half?

Options

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, and most days he's not there when I'm doing it. But if he is, I don't put off my workout. I do P90x either in the living room or our back office, where his computer desk is. Either way, if he's home, he doesn't stop and stare at me. If he did, I would kick him out of the room. Several years ago we attempted going to the gym and lifting together. I have way more team sports and training experience than him. I tried offering some constructive criticism and few times and it didn't go over well. And he got ticked when I opted out of the "toes-pointed-IN" squats that Men's Health had recommended. One of our good friends is a personal trainer, and he will take advice from her. A few times I have given her hints about various things to address with him, which always works.
  • katie101686
    Options
    I forgot to add that we do like to swim, hike, and just walk the dog together, especially when the weather is nice. In the summer we play on a non-competitive volleyball league together. I am pretty terrible, but it's really fun anyway. Earlier this week we went bowling (if you don't think that's a workout, tell my left glute!) too which was fun. Today I shoveled while he ran the snowblower, if that counts as a workout!:ohwell:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me at all...we have....may not happen that often, but there are times I'll be lifting and she'll join me...I'll just have her jump in like she was a training partner.....she moves the weight she's comfortable with, I work with what I'm used to....basically we just switch back n forth \m/
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    My boyfriend and I work out together at the gym. Our relationship began around working out. He's seen me naked and I'm pregnant with his child. No need to not work out in front of him as well.
  • Whipppets
    Options
    When I got married to my wife she was my aerobics instructor.. We have worked out together off and on
    for 22 years. currently we do pump, spin and zumba together.. I am better at pump but she is far better at zumba, I just
    stand behind her and try to do what she is doing.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love working out with my husband. It definitely pushes me to work harder because I know he's watching.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I do my husband's workout video with him, in addition to my own workouts. I think I burn all of maybe 20 calories doing his, but I think it encourages him to stick with it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I do all the time. He motivates me. I love when we workout together. I am never shy, or self-conscious around my husband. He is the only person in the world who gets all the crazy and I love it.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :wink: :wink:
    I do it once in a while, but he tries to grope me during squats and straddle me during burpees. But it's fun when he does that. Actually, my dog "bothers" me more than my spouse. My dog knows the cues on the DVDs I use already and likes to stretch with me. One of the joys of working out at home is having a 70 lb dog going into downward dog with you. LOL

This!!!! lmao

Hubby goes to the gym with me and lifts while I do. He also is my spotter most days. He will grope if he can but only at home...he's very low pda @ the gym. As for the dog, he is banished during home workouts now since as soon as I lay down on the floor to do anything he thinks he needs to come lay beside me with his head on my stomach....very counterproductive!!

Counterproductive, but isn't it precious? :)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love my husband there with me. We work out a lot together. And he is Navy and in shape. It's great motivation and has actually brought us even closer together and we are more on track with fitness and nutrition goals. We are a team ;)
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I will add, that my husband and I did not always work out together and also were wayyyyyy off track with food in the house, until we sat down and talked.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    No. We don't work out together because we don't like to do the same things, and I am not interested in his thoughts on what I am doing in re: exercise. If I happen to be doing a video or something when he gets home, it gets paused until he gets out of the room. I think living, sleeping, and raising children together for 20 years is plenty of togetherness.

And lights on--no correlation here.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like working out with my fiance. He helps me and I help him. We motivate each other. If I am doing something wrong, he helps me, and visa versa. Also he is a great conversationalist when we go for a walk or run. I enjoy it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, naked too.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    When I got married to my wife she was my aerobics instructor.. We have worked out together off and on
    for 22 years. currently we do pump, spin and zumba together.. I am better at pump but she is far better at zumba, I just
    stand behind her and try to do what she is doing.

I :heart: this!!!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Boyfriend and I are such different fitness levels that it's a bit strange working out with him. I've been thin but out of shape my entire life up until about two or three years ago and I've never known him to be out of shape. About every other week, for a hard day for me and a somewhat easy day for him I have him sort of train me. We usually just do walk, jog, runs around the indoor track, with him pushing me. It's fun and I feel worked out and we feel connected.

However, I've lifted and ran on the treadmill with him before and it's not near as fun as he tries to push me then, too, and corrects what I'm doing constantly which frustrates me to no end as I know my limits there. I've banned him from the cardio room while I'm in there, or at least put him on a machine far enough away from me that he can't make any comments without seeming like the crazy guy in the room.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I used to be embarrassed to and felt stupid, but i have gotten used to it. I actually like him to watch and encourage him to get up there with me. But he never does, hahaha. It also pushes me to work harder when hes watching...LOL
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i worked out once or twice in front of my girlfriend. she'll laugh or try and record me because i'm usually doing some goofy work out video so what i'm doing makes me look like a goober. she won't work out in front of me, i'm not sure why but she doesn't want me to see her so i let her be.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My wife has had other male personal trainers and they were either trying to get at her, or get her to their home. So her comfort level with men was not good. Once she started going with me she wouldn't have it any other way. She loves it, and so do I. Even though she calls me "gym hitler" because I push her in the gym she loves the inspiration I provide. We've learned to work together as partners I watch her and she watches me. Yes like most other couples we throw "comments" at one another about how "sexy" we look when doing a particular exercise. Life is designed to be fun, marriage is designed to be fun, we choose what we make it, and I've learned it's not what I say, but it's how I say it to her that determines if she is motivated or deflated. I cannot live with her feeling deflated so ...
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to be really self conscious about bf even passing by the living room while I worked out.. but now he sits on the couch and drinks beer while reading off my tasks / timing them! Very helpful. :)