No More TDEE posts

Options

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    If I can lose weight at 1800 kcal/per day, why would I want to eat 1500 which is just under my BMR? I am in no rush.

Now IF, on the other, hand is a valid plan. Is this what you are thinking of?

IF must throw these people off their gourds.

I eat TDEE - 500 every day to lose weight. Some IF plans include an occasional fast day where you eat almost no calories! Some include days every week where you eat 500 or fewer.

I wonder what the "never below BMR ever" people would say about these IF plans, many of which have proven to be very successful.

IF is actual closer to my natural eating pattern. I just needed a better idea of my goal for the week.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No, of course you won't survive for 70 days, but you have enough energy stored in those 30 lbs of fat to last you the 70 days. That's all I'm saying.

Tpz7Y.gif

Wait, are you implying that just because he says I won't survive for 70 days, but I have enough energy to survive for 70 days, that he doesn't know what he's talking about?!?!

No. The poster said "I'm at 13% and weigh 172 lbs so my body is carrying around something like 40 days of BMR energy."

He does. He has enough energy (calories) in his fat mass to account for 40 days worth of BMR. No one said you could survive 70 days on fat mass alone.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    No, of course you won't survive for 70 days, but you have enough energy stored in those 30 lbs of fat to last you the 70 days. That's all I'm saying.

Tpz7Y.gif

Wait, are you implying that just because he says I won't survive for 70 days, but I have enough energy to survive for 70 days, that he doesn't know what he's talking about?!?!

No. The poster said "I'm at 13% and weigh 172 lbs so my body is carrying around something like 40 days of BMR energy."

He does. He has enough energy (calories) in his fat mass to account for 40 days worth of BMR. No one said you could survive 70 days on fat mass alone.

You brought 70 pounds into this with your words.

I'm really, really hoping you're a troll account. Otherwise, holy **** we need to pay teachers more.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at several posts and this one seems to make the most sense at least at explaining TDEE. I ran my numbers through the recommended site and also came up with a TDEE-20% that is lower than my BMR.

BMR-1883
    TDEE-2260
    TDEE-20%-1808

I am a 30 year old female, 5"3', 248lbs.

From what I understand sometimes the TDEE-20 is lower than BMR so I should just go with BMR. MFP has me at 1270 which is crazy to meet (although I could have swore when I started it was 1310, I've lost seven pounds so maybe it decreased because of that). I have been having a lot of trouble meeting MFP but my calorie intake is actually lower than my BMR most days. Since "starvation mode" seems to be a sore term I going to say maybe my body has been in the "fat storage mode" due to lack of proper nutrition. Going to try increasing calories and see what happens. Hopefully it will cause more weight loss than 7 lbs in 6 weeks.

How do you change the calories for your diary? Also looking at how to add you as a friend. I don't have any friends, ok that sounds really depressing, and could use some that are trying to realistically loose weight and keep it off safely.

Go to "my home," then "goals," then manually adjust. You will be able to change calories there. Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Tpz7Y.gif

I'm really, really hoping you're a troll account. Otherwise, holy **** we need to pay teachers more.

Where's the confusion? 30 lbs of fat mass accounts for enough energy for 70 days of BMR in my example.

You won't live 70 days with no food because the body needs more than just energy.

What's the problem?
  • Bubbl3s25
    Options
    Bump
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has def helped me. I hope the "Road Trip" story was clear enough for those considering eating below BMR. My initial thought was that eating below BMR on occasion is no big deal if weekly averages are above BMR. The Road Trip story made me rethink that. WHen a car runs out of gas, it comes to a SCREECHING halt and nothing can make it run again except more gas. For fuel injected engines, you also need to do some damage repair. (Hubby owns a shop LOL). Perhaps it wouldn't do any damage or make a difference but why chance it? Healthy weight loss is the goal.

OP, I came to a similar conclusion as you. I set my cals to BMR about a month ago. Still struggling with the whole mental thing. I like to see cals burned so I eat back exercise calories. Last week, I ate over quite a bit and still lost a little. This week, I am starving! I also feel lighter. FOr the first time, I feel I am on the right track. I really feel like my metabolism has finally begun catching up. Please correct me if you think I am wrong. This is all a learning experience for me. I would much rather be corrected now than find later I was wrong.

One other car comparison. I was talking to my daughter about HIIT. Hubby is a cardio buff. He does lift weights but puts more credence on cardio. He said that you have to get your heart rate up and keep it up - i.e. steady state cardio. He said HIIT doesn't make sense because when you turn an engine off, it's harder on it. That's why truckers keep their engines idling when they stop for short periods. It took me 2 hours but I did finally rebut! When you are driving your car at a steady state then rev the engine, your RPMs go way up and you burn more gas. HIIT is not stopping the engine. It is reving the engine, thus burning more gas (fat). I was proud of that since my hubby is ALWAYS right! He just laughed and had no rebuttal!!

The problem is that your body is not a car and the OP is probably carry 2 weeks worth of gas in her tank at all times (her fat reserves). Therefore nothing is coming to a screeching halt until you get to very low BF%. I'm at 13% and weigh 172 lbs so my body is carrying around something like 40 days of BMR energy. Plenty safe to occasionally eat below BMR as long as my daily deficit is not too high given the amount I need to lose.

Wait, are you saying your body has enough "bmr energy" to sustain you for 40 days without adding "fuel to the tank"?

22 lbs of fat x 3500 kcal/lb / 1762 (BMR in kcal/day) = 43 days of stored energy. So yes that much is stored. Your body is smart and designed for lean times. A couple of days below BMR is not going to hurt the OP.
  • sixout
    Options

Tpz7Y.gif

Where's the confusion? 30 lbs of fat mass accounts for enough energy for 70 days of BMR in my example.

You won't live 70 days with no food because the body needs more than just energy.

What's the problem?

So if the fat mass isn't enough to survive on, why should it be enough to get by on any other time? I feel like we're going around in circles. At this point I'm just replying becasue I'm bored.

Also, this is now a gif thread.

MU9INzE.gif
  • sixout
    Options
    This whole thread has def helped me. I hope the "Road Trip" story was clear enough for those considering eating below BMR. My initial thought was that eating below BMR on occasion is no big deal if weekly averages are above BMR. The Road Trip story made me rethink that. WHen a car runs out of gas, it comes to a SCREECHING halt and nothing can make it run again except more gas. For fuel injected engines, you also need to do some damage repair. (Hubby owns a shop LOL). Perhaps it wouldn't do any damage or make a difference but why chance it? Healthy weight loss is the goal.

OP, I came to a similar conclusion as you. I set my cals to BMR about a month ago. Still struggling with the whole mental thing. I like to see cals burned so I eat back exercise calories. Last week, I ate over quite a bit and still lost a little. This week, I am starving! I also feel lighter. FOr the first time, I feel I am on the right track. I really feel like my metabolism has finally begun catching up. Please correct me if you think I am wrong. This is all a learning experience for me. I would much rather be corrected now than find later I was wrong.

One other car comparison. I was talking to my daughter about HIIT. Hubby is a cardio buff. He does lift weights but puts more credence on cardio. He said that you have to get your heart rate up and keep it up - i.e. steady state cardio. He said HIIT doesn't make sense because when you turn an engine off, it's harder on it. That's why truckers keep their engines idling when they stop for short periods. It took me 2 hours but I did finally rebut! When you are driving your car at a steady state then rev the engine, your RPMs go way up and you burn more gas. HIIT is not stopping the engine. It is reving the engine, thus burning more gas (fat). I was proud of that since my hubby is ALWAYS right! He just laughed and had no rebuttal!!

The problem is that your body is not a car and the OP is probably carry 2 weeks worth of gas in her tank at all times (her fat reserves). Therefore nothing is coming to a screeching halt until you get to very low BF%. I'm at 13% and weigh 172 lbs so my body is carrying around something like 40 days of BMR energy. Plenty safe to occasionally eat below BMR as long as my daily deficit is not too high given the amount I need to lose.

Wait, are you saying your body has enough "bmr energy" to sustain you for 40 days without adding "fuel to the tank"?

22 lbs of fat x 3500 kcal/lb / 1762 (BMR in kcal/day) = 43 days of stored energy. So yes that much is stored. Your body is smart and designed for lean times. A couple of days below BMR is not going to hurt the OP.

This guy is promoting eating below your BMR as a way to lose weight. As a diet. Not just a couple of days. Everyone is going to go below BMR every once in a while. It's inevitable. Doing it intentionally is dumb though.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This is completely incorrect.

BMR is the number of calories that your body takes merely to exist without doing additional work. Work does not mean exercise here, it means things as simple as walking around.

Always eat above BMR. ALWAYS.

... What? Why? You want a calorie deficit. You have to eat fewer calories than you use in a day to lose weight.

So what happens when your TDEE is only 300 calories over your BMR? My BMR is about 1728. What do I do when my TDEE is 2050? Eat 1728 anyway, instead of TDEE - 20% = 1640 (or, alternatively, TDEE - 500 = 1550)?

Why would I want to do that?

Why is your TDEE so low? Mine is higher than that and I'm a chick
    Granted I want to lose 25ish pounds

I'm
    5'5"
    155lbs
    27y.o.

BMR 1466
    Moderate exercise
    TDEE is 2272
    Still puts me at 1772 / day on workout days to lose weight....

BMR is 1728. I work a desk job. I have occasional rest days, which are sedentary. Sometimes I don't get up to 2278 calories used in a day. No big deal. I eat TDEE - 500 every day to lose weight, and it works just fine.

Still not sure how that's being calculated haha
    Granted these are approximates but still

Lightly active - 2376 - working out 1 to 3 days a week
    Moderately active - 2678 - moderate exercise 3-5 days a week

You want to look on a weekly basis, not daily
  • jonnythan
    Options

Tpz7Y.gif

What's the problem?

So if the fat mass isn't enough to survive on, why should it be enough to get by on any other time? I feel like we're going around in circles. At this point I'm just replying becasue I'm bored.

Also, this is now a gif thread.

MU9INzE.gif

No one said it is. We said its enough energy for that length of time, not that you could survive on it that length of time.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Tpz7Y.gif

GIF THREAD!
    6bezgop.gif
  • sixout
    Options

Tpz7Y.gif

GIF THREAD!
    6bezgop.gif

GfK5d3J.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options

This guy is promoting eating below your BMR as a way to lose weight. As a diet. Not just a couple of days. Everyone is going to go below BMR every once in a while. It's inevitable. Doing it intentionally is dumb though.

I am absolutely not doing that. I say do TDEE-20% every day. And it's OK if that's below BMR on days you're not very active.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Some people it might be dumb some not, which is what I've been saying. If someone is short and sedentary they may not have a large difference between BMR and TDEE and it might be okay to eat less than BMR. What if BMR is 1400 and TDEE 1700 and they are 50 lbs overweight. It would be okay to eat 1200 if they are sedentary and its not going to hurt anything. That is all we are saying.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    GfK5d3J.jpg

Bahahahahahaha!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    TDEE is not something you can gather from a simple Online calculator. It's something that took me months to learn by trial and error, when I hit maintenance.

Eating at a deficit was easy for me, when I didn't have an exact number to hit. If I lost weight, I knew I was eating at a defiicit - I just didn't know how much.

When I no longer needed to lose any more, I had to increase my calories. As I did this, I lost another 10 lbs because I wasn't eating enough. When I finally increased them to 2000 per day, that's when the weight loss stopped, so I knew I had hit my TDEE.

Everybody's TDEE is different, and it's not something you can calculate by height, weight and gender.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    eating under your BMR has a more severe effect on these hormones than eating above BMR.

Any evidence to back up that claim? Keep in mind what the parameters would need to be: eating TDEE - 20% and never going below BMR versus TDEE - 20% and occasionally going below BMR. That's the comparison we're talking about here.
    Only the same evidence you have - personal experience, and a synthesis of the various literature that I've read on metabolism.

It's certainly possible that I'm wrong, but I'd bet on me. :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    TDEE is not something you can gather from a simple Online calculator. It's something that took me months to learn by trial and error, when I hit maintenance.

Eating at a deficit was easy for me, when I didn't have an exact number to hit. If I lost weight, I knew I was eating at a defiicit - I just didn't know how much.

When I no longer needed to lose any more, I had to increase my calories. As I did this, I lost another 10 lbs because I wasn't eating enough. When I finally increased them to 2000 per day, that's when the weight loss stopped, so I knew I had hit my TDEE.

Everybody's TDEE is different, and it's not something you can calculate by height, weight and gender.

Everyone's TDEE is different BASED ON height, weight, and gender.

It is a theoretical approximation that you can get close to the practical reality of using an online calculator. I have a friend who found his actual TDEE using the method you describe. It was within 50 calories of the theoretical TDEE he got with the Klatch-McArdle formula. So yes, the calculators are useful for this purpose.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Read this it explains it all and how to customize your MFP page

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12: