Cottage cheese HOW DO I?

Options

Replies

• terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Brand is very important. Darigold is the only one. I like it with fruit like pineapple or with salsa and tomatoes n peas
  • vamari22
    vamari22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I want to like cottage cheese SO bad, such a power food!!! How/what do you eat it with?!

I just bought some Nancy's Organic low fat cottage cheese, it's so packed with Protein and I need this in my diet, being a vegetarian it is very hard to keep my protein / fat / carb ratio where I am happy and feeling prime. Cottage cheese seems like my miracle cheese/yogurt thing....... but today was literally the first bite I've ever taken in my life, I have always refused. What do you recommend? What's your favorite way to indulge on the curds?

What is it about the cottage cheese that you don't like? The taste? Texture? I personally don't mind the taste of it, but I hate the texture, so usually I'll blend it smooth in a blender and mix it with something else like fruit.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First suggestion is to eat it with...a fork. :tongue:

My mom really tried to the peaches and cottage cheese thing to happen, all served on a neat leaf of iceburg lettuce. I ate around the peaches and dug into the cottage cheese. I haven't touched a peach in something close to 30 years. Cottage cheese, though, yeah I love it. I will eat it plain. Darigold is good, and I also like the Albertsons store brand.

Sounds weird, but I do like it with some black olives or bacon bits. Sometimes a little ranch or blue cheese dressing, or just incorporate it right with a green salad.

I do like the suggestions of mixing it with tuna instead of mayo. Might have to try that with egg salad, along with a bit of horseradish.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    I want to like cottage cheese SO bad, such a power food!!! How/what do you eat it with?!

I just bought some Nancy's Organic low fat cottage cheese, it's so packed with Protein and I need this in my diet, being a vegetarian it is very hard to keep my protein / fat / carb ratio where I am happy and feeling prime. Cottage cheese seems like my miracle cheese/yogurt thing....... but today was literally the first bite I've ever taken in my life, I have always refused. What do you recommend? What's your favorite way to indulge on the curds?

What is it about the cottage cheese that you don't like? The taste? Texture? I personally don't mind the taste of it, but I hate the texture, so usually I'll blend it smooth in a blender and mix it with something else like fruit.

it's the confusion that freaks me out.... its like sour cream gone wrong with a super yogurt twist.... but it tastes like cheese.... my mouth just gets confused. thats why the question is 'how do people normally place this in ones diet' after seeing these responses, I think i get it. I get to be creative! I'm really not wanting to go back to yogurt, its something i over indulge in too often!! I like all of these ideas!!! and will definitely try blending it up some!
  • KenzDoc
    KenzDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with fresh fruit or sliced tomato & pepper.
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have the Cottage Cheese with pineapple and spread it on rice cakes. :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I hated it all my life and just came back to it. :-) I love it savory so I'll add some salt/pepper or some hot sauce or salsa to it!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit, plain, as part of lasagna, or baked ziti, with chopped vegetables, mixed with various flavors for a dip, stuffed into little cherry tomatoes.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    eat it with fruits - strawberries, crushed pineapple, strawberry jam. yummy
  • JodiWeakland
    Options
    I put cottage cheese on top of my waffles - add a bit of low sugar syrup and you have a great breakfast! :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    With Pineapple, crushed or chunks is my FAVORITE.
    I have also just sprinkled it with Mrs. Dash or McCormicks Garlic and Red Pepper
  • whulfc86
    whulfc86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat it with salsa, which is also low in calories!
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i usually eat mine in a 1/2 of a cantaloupe i will scoop out the seeds and then put about a cup of cottage cheese in the center so noms! great breakfast.

me myself not too big on yogurt but looking for more protein i did get greek yogurt and will use it with a bit of honey to dip my apples in as a night snack
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese almost daily....love it. In the winter, I even put a scoop of it on top of the ProPlan I feed my Labrador Retrievers.

For us humans, It's quick and easy to make a low calorie pancake with it. Here's what I do:

1/3 C cottage cheese
    3 TBSP whole wheat flour
    1 Egg

Mix together, pour/spread onto a skillet, when bubbles appear, flip once and done. Top with fruit, syrup, nuts, etc...
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to mix in a spoonful of low sugar orange marmalade. Yum! Disclaimer: not a good idea if you don't like orange marmalade. :tongue:

I love orange marmalade, this is a great idea!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Another egg salad idea. Mash 1 hard boiled egg with 1/2 c cottage cheese. Add a little minced onion and pickle. The best part add about 2t pickle juice and mix well. Excellent sandwich filling.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I mix two of my absolute most favoritist things together - cottage cheese and mangos. I also like it with blueberries or strawberries.

One last way I have it is with a Yoplait or other greek yogurt with fruit mixed in. Add granola too.

Enjoy!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat it is mixed with cinnamon, splenda (or choice of sweetener/sugar) and any type of fruit. It also works really well with recipes that call for tomato sauce. I love adding it as a filler for lasagna or even mixed with eggs in my egg frittata dish.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese almost every day..Fat free kind. (I like Kroger's brand best).

UGH! For what little calories the fat free saves, I gotta go with the 4% small curd myself. And yeah, Kroger brand ROCKS!