Low carb dieters.. WHAT do you eat?!

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think people blame too much on carbs. It is not carbs that is the enemy, it is foods like white bread, white rice, fried potatoes etc etc. I loooove my fruits and veggies. I also think that high protein diets are overrated and can be dangerous. Too many people overdo it with the protein in my opinion.
  • vonon1
    vonon1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't eat potatoes, rice or pasta simply because i feel awful after i have eaten them, there are loads of things you can do with meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, I spend hours cooking. I always count my carbs and ignore the calories, I decided last week to count the calories instead and try to ignore the carbs, Managed to put 3 pound Obviously counting calories does not work for mes on, so returning to counting carbs as from now!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I think people blame too much on carbs. It is not carbs that is the enemy, it is foods like white bread, white rice, fried potatoes etc etc. I loooove my fruits and veggies. I also think that high protein diets are overrated and can be dangerous. Too many people overdo it with the protein in my opinion.

Most low-carbers eat lots of vegetables. In fact, I eat a lot more vegetables on a lower-carb eating plan than I ever did when I was eating carbs. And most low-carb plans are not high protein.

I have always disliked white bread and white rice. Never ate them when I was eating more carbs. It's always been whole-grain breads and brown rice for me. And I only ate fried potatoes of any kind maybe a couple times a month. Never a regular thing. Of course, that may not be the case with everybody but your speculations are off-base.
  • Loebner
    Options
    100 gr of avocado has less than 2 gr of net carbs. 8.5 gr total, 6.7 gr fiber.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid.
    Disclaimer #2: I'm not planning on eating that way, this is pure curiosity because I've been researching nutrition quite a bit lately.

I work out pretty heavily. I eat like 160-200g of carbs a day. I see some people who say they eat between 30-60g. What my apparent ignorance here is how do you manage to take in even 1200 calories with that little carbohydrates without throwing your other macros totally out of whack? I have a fairly normal diet, it's not like I'm pounding pasta all day. Do ya'll not count carbs from fruits and veggies or something? Like I said.. I'm just curious.

My carb counts vary widely............

I adhere to a natural way of eating and some days my carb count is on the low side and other days on the moderate side.

I eat a variety of fats, first and foremost. Protein and then fill in the rest with vegetables and fruit.

I have plenty of energy to maintain my heavy lifting schedule and moderate cardio.

I enjoy the food I eat and my body likes it too. Processed foods don't agree with my body at all.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid...
    ... Like I said.. I'm just curious.

If you don't know anything about it, how do you manage to be so opinionated?

A quick google search will give you a list of low carb foods. You could even research keto diets and find out about how intelligent people following low carb diets are managing their macros. It isn't difficult and it certainly isn't stupid.

I should have been more specific, I think it's stupid with strenuous regular exercise. Your body needs carbs for fuel with heavy exercise, that doesn't require knowledge of what a low diet carb consists of that's just fact.

Carbs are not a biological "necessity".............

What is glucose?

Your body can make glucose from the carbs in vegetables (which most low-carbers eat a'plenty), dairy (which most low-carbers also eat to some degree) and proteins. Glucose can also be derived from fat by gluconeogenesis.

Thank You. I was getting ready to same the same thing.
  • jpvieira
    jpvieira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I qualify as low carb (I generally try to get around 120 g a day, sometimes I go a little over, sometimes I'm a little under) but I for the most part don't eat grains, potatoes, or anything too starchy. I'm not quite as concerned about carbs as I am about sugar which I try to limit as much as possible. My meals are usually a protein and a veg. I like shredded coleslaw mix (with no dressing) cause I can eat a couple of cups of that with my meat or eggs/eggwhites and its pretty filling. I also will have a small amount of raw nuts with each meal, and I usually have at least one protein shake a day. I do eat some cheese, but try not to overdo it. Generally I do a lot o the same stuff over and over but not because I don't have options, I'm just pretty busy, and somewhat lazy so it makes it easier not to have to spend a ton of time thinking about what I'm going to eat.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 80 and 120g. All so same for protein. It keeps me full, helps cravings and is good for my weight loss. I eat tones of veggies. I feel awful now if I eat too much carbs! I don't eat too much fat. My cholesterol is perfect!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I am not carb free but I am cutting down my gluten and therefor a lot of carbs that come from wheat. I read a article on how gluten sensitivity was linked to psoriasis and I have had it for the last 14 years. I thought, Why not?

I cut out most breads, pastas, and random foods that contain wheat and I lost the weight on top of my psoriasis getting better. Like ALOT better within a week!. I did have 2 flour tortillas last night... I'm super itchy today. My point is in how this related to carb free/low carb lifestyles is that I guess a lot of people hold weight because of a unknown gluten sensitivity and that's why going low carb is the only diet that works for them. The thing is, they don't need to go 100% carb free. Just eat rice, potatoes and alternative flours. So, I know you don't wanna go the carb free thing but maybe try only using those carbs and see what happens.

Anyhow, as far as food...

I have been trying a lot of cauliflower recipes off pinterest. It seems like a great alternative to crusts and potatoes.

I made these pizza bites that weren't half bad and only 17 calories a piece. (Don't listen to the OP, I calculated it myself and it is more) Also, I dont know what she is talking about with having a hard time cleaning the muffin tins...mine were just fine. I just sprayed on a little pam.
    http://joandsue.blogspot.ca/2012/05/cauliflower-pizza-bites.html

Cauliflower potatoes, roasted cauliflower, cauliflower macaroni and cheese, cauliflower pizza dough

Meringue cookies made with sugar alternative -Usually about 9-20 calories a cookie depending if you put additions like chocolate chips in them...haha

Roasted cabbage, cabbage casserole, cabbage rolls

Zucchini Lasagna

Baked asparagus with Parmesan cheese

I make green bean casserole all the time for a side dish instead of a carb type dish. There as some carbs but not many

Lettuce wraps

Ham cups with eggs for breakfast (muffin pan, make the ham a cup, pour eggs in and bake)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid...

A quick google search will give you a list of low carb foods. You could even research keto diets and find out about how intelligent people following low carb diets are managing their macros. It isn't difficult and it certainly isn't stupid.

I should have been more specific, I think it's stupid with strenuous regular exercise. Your body needs carbs for fuel with heavy exercise, that doesn't require knowledge of what a low diet carb consists of that's just fact.

What is glucose?

Your body can make glucose from the carbs in vegetables (which most low-carbers eat a'plenty), dairy (which most low-carbers also eat to some degree) and proteins. Glucose can also be derived from fat by gluconeogenesis.

Which would go against your claim "Carbs are not a biological "necessity"............. "
  • heymayer
    heymayer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A month or so ago I was having a lot of intestinal issues (something that's been going on my entire life). My doctor put me on hardcore probiotics because he said there was too much "bad" bacteria in my stomach, but he also said it was because my body was trying to process way too many carbs.

Because of this he cut me down to only 30g of carbs a day. Which is EXTREMELY low, but it worked. I stuck with it for a month or so and lost 9lbs......only to give in to a craving for pizza one day and suddenly get back on the road of "eat a bunch of bread and pizza" and I put the 9lbs right back on.

Since then I've modified what I eat, cutting out bread and pizza but generally not caring if other carbs are thrown in the mix. While on the diet I ate practically nothing but eggs meat and cheese and cut out a majority of fruits and vegetables because those can be high in carbs, only to realize I not only missed those things, but that I NEED them and so I eat them now.

I feel better, but I still have "bad" days that seem to be outweighing the good lately and just need to find the overall discipline to get stuff in order.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

What is glucose?

Which would go against your claim "Carbs are not a biological "necessity"............. "

Because they aren't. Glucose is a biological necessity, not carbs. And since our bodies can create glucose from protein and fats, carbs are not a necessity.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What is glucose?

Because they aren't. Glucose is a biological necessity, not carbs. And since our bodies can create glucose from protein and fats, carbs are not a necessity.

What is glucose a fat?
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    I eat like 160-200g of carbs a day. I see some people who say they eat between 30-60g. What my apparent ignorance here is how do you manage to take in even 1200 calories with that little carbohydrates without throwing your other macros totally out of whack?... Do ya'll not count carbs from fruits and veggies or something?

Most people that eat low carb count "net carbs" which means that vegetable carbs are almost completely negligible. And other macros are already adjusted to be abnormally high in these instances because carbs are Planned low.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ X infinity!
  • autumndragon22
    autumndragon22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Though I am not a low carb dieter. Linda's Low Carb has great tasting recipes that I make sometimes. Especially if I'm low on protein that day. I am particularly fond of the Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers =)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    What is glucose a fat?

Glucose as it is processed internally and metabolized can hardly be considered any one of the 3 macronutrients. Your body can survive on protein, FFA and ketones if it must for a very long time.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    "And since our bodies can create glucose from protein and fats, carbs are not a necessity."

Not quite right!

Our bodies can create KETONES from fats, so carbs are not a necessity.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    what do you eat or grains ? you need to have whole grains in your diet and at least 1 serving of Legumes a day .
    I imagine basically eggs and meat and not much else?

I eat 100-150grams carbs/day, and I get those from veg/fruit/nuts and occasionally some legumes. I don't know how I'd manage to do less than 50 without severly cutting back my veges.

I eat a primary plant based diet, stay low carb (under 30g). It isn't difficult when you cut unnecessary sugars out of your diet. and for your information, legumes are carb heavy.

I wasn't being snarky! I was honestly wondering...
    I only eat legumes occasionally, because I get sick of eating meat all the time. I realise they're high in carbs.
    I dont' eat sugar/honey/bread/pasta/potatoes/rice at all.
    Eg today my 100gr carbs come from tomato, avo, courgette, greek yoghurt, cauliflower, an apple, some berries and a banana. I realise I could cut down more by not eating fruit....but I'd love some tips for getting enough protein on a low-ish carb diet without eating so much meat.

Edit to add I'm not aiming for under 100gr, just to stick around 100-150 without always relying on meat.
    [/quote]