How are people burning such high calories

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Richard269
    Options
    Nope just a fast walk up and down the downs .about 6 1/2 miles.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've never come close. In my spin class, the instructor said you could burn 750 calories/hour. I think I was more like 400 - when I checked my HRM.

^^^^^ this! stick with your HRM. I go to zumba once a week usually and they claim you can burn 600-1000 per hour.. false. I burn around 300-350 in a good class (45 minutes). I burn the most when I run to be honest. everyone is different. I think too many people depend on the numbers MFP gives them but they are WAY off... especially when it comes to stationary bikes and ellipticals. same with the machines.

focus on YOUR burn. I know if I want a super high burn I gotta put the work in. yesterday I ran a 5K on the treadmill plus kickboxing... about an hour and a half of exercise and I got a 750 calorie burn. i was very happy with that but knew i had to put in the time. when my friend and I both take kickboxing, she tends to burn more than me (we both wear HRMs) and I know the difference in calorie burns has to do with our weight, height, etc.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not heavy, weigh 152 and am not using the over inflated MFP number. I have burned nearly 1K calories doing Max Circuit of Insanity. My average heart rate during it is 140 and I may max it at 177 during the Mountain Climbers. I wear a heart rate monitor to track the calories. I'm 37 years old so when I notice my heart rate going over 160 i generally take a little break.
  • loseit4ever12
    Options
    My HRM has me burning over 500 cals jogging at 5mph for 30 mins. Machines and MFP have me at about 415 cals.

QUESTION- aren't you supposed to subtract calories off whatever burn your HRM says to account for it tracking what you would burn in an hour just breathing??
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    To me it's pointless to subtract that. My heartrate stays up for a while after working out which I don't log, so it seems to me it all works itself out.
  • lynchyboyeeeee
    Options
    I play football every Monday and Thursday (5 a side) and I use a HRM. I play for about an hour and a half on average and range anywhere from 1000 to 1750 cals burnt depending on how heavy I am at the time and how hard I go at it. It is very much HIIT so not staying in zones ofc. The thing is , my body burn on average 150 cals an hour regardless of what I am doing so you can take 225 cals off whatever the HRM says for me over 90 mins to truly find out what the exercise has burnt for me
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical and treadmill at a high level setting and so far have burned up to 700 calories in an hour on either machine.

My heart rate never goes up to where I want it to. When I was at my heaviest, I could not do 5 minutes on the elliptical, and my heart rate was way up, but as time wore on and I kept using it, I can now do an hour and my rate never goes about 125 (I am 5'5'' and weigh 190 now)

On the treadmill, I use the hill setting at level 20 and it really burns the calories, I am sweating and working it, but my heart rate stays really low on that at 118.

Everyone is different. I have seen people in the gym running on the elliptical at a high setting and they really do burn a lot of calories so it can be done
  • ianandmand
    Options
    I wouldn't go off MFP. It's estimations are out. I ran for an hour cross country And my heart monitor said 700, MFP said 1k.
    It's certainly possible to do 1k in an hour though, it's the intensity.
    Certain crossfit work outs I do I burn 300 in 15 mins
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Cocaine's a helluva drug...
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Seems to me (as others have stated) they are getting incorrectly reported and over inflated calorie burn amounts on MFP. Since everything on here is user-input, you really have to double check your calorie counts and burn amounts. There are MANY errors on exercises as well as food/calorie overage and underage.
    When in doubt, double check and always use your HR monitor and your weight for kcals burned.
    Hope that helps!
  • jingermanko
    Options
    I am not sure about this. I do weigh more, and when I do my cardio and I use the MFP it say's I burn almost 500 cal's. I compared that to a few different sites and the MFP is actually less than those sites. I am still losing weight and I eat back my calories. I don't want to go out and buy a HR monitor...I just cant afford one. So how should I do this if MFP say's one thing that is less than what the other sites are saying?
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

This
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Somebody might have said this already, but people might be working out longer than 35 minutes, too. :)

Also, if you push the max intensity for the full amount of time you work out, you might see different results?

I've been thinking about getting a HRM...
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and burn as much as 1100 calories in an hour on the treadmill. This is at a 6.6mph pace with some walk breaks. My average HR is 155-160 with max 178. I am 6' and 180lbs. My cycling is about 900-1000 calories/hr. This is not inflated and seems to be correct as I am eating 2300 calories/day and losing almost 2lbs each week.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use MFP mainly to keep up with my calorie intake. If I feel weak or dizzy by what it recommends I increase my calorie intake. Getting enough food is very important when losing weight. If you go too low you will slow your metabolism down. If you are losing 1-2lbs a week, and you are not lethargic then you are in the right calorie range. Good luck
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I suspect they are using the inflated numbers given by MFP.

This. I never burn as much as MFP says
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    irrelevant. who cares?

questions you should be asking yourself are things like "what sort of exercise regimen can I commit to doing regularly?", "how should i structure my diet in a way that will keep me satiated?", "what are my fitness goals?"

This ^^.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think that the MFP calorie estimates are inflated in certain areas. For instance, I bike commute. While I don't ever coast and go faster than the "vigorous 14-16" MFP category, it says that I burn over 800 calories an hour doing this. When I jog on a treadmill for 45 minutes, my hr monitor says I burned about 500 calories. I'm a bit winded after biking but am wiped out after the jog, so I don't think that I am burning calories at a higher rate by biking.

And it matters because If I am eating back all of my exercise calories and they are inflated, then that will affect my weight loss. So I don't eat back all of my exercise calories. It would be nice if after all the work I do logging that it would be based on accurate information. Any suggestions or constructive criticism would be appreciated.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm a fit but elderly guy and have burnt a HRM measured 900 on elliptical machine and 840 on a spinning bike in an hour - these are both at the maximum rate I can sustain for the hour (85-95% of max). Completely knackered at the end of these fitness/exhaustion tests....

So for someone younger/fitter/heavier 1000+ an hour is entirely plausible. The doubters might just find that those posting high numbers are just pushing a lot harder and have the stamina to maintain high output for a longer period of time.

Really the key use of a HRM is so you can train in the correct zone to achieve your goals rather than to earn calories to eat - that's just a nice bonus.