Fat sick and nearly dead.

Options

Replies

• Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Makes me wanna juice soo bad. I love that documentary. It's so inspiring. Has anyone on here gone on a juice fast and seen results like his?

I once juice-fasted for 19 days. It was wonderful. I felt a little bit like I had to slow down, but I wasn't tired, I wasn't hungry, and I lost about a pound per day. A bunch of pounds came back when I started to eat again.

I've also done 2 Edgar Casey Apple Cleanses. The first time I felt like crap and was told, that's the toxins leaving your body. The second time I felt great, so I guess I hadn't built up many toxins again.

Anyway, who's stopping you? Juice if you want to juice. If you don't own a juicer, message me and I'll tell you an easy way to make juice without one.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I juiced a 24 oz New York Strip steak, a loaded baked potato, and two slices of Texas Toast before I ate them last night, and I did not gain a pound. It has to work.
    Lmaoo
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think Juicing should only be used on rare occasions as a detox. You know.. After a week long vacation of crap food and alcohol. To me, a healthy diet is one that can be maintained for a lifetime. Juicing is not something that you can sustain yourself on. It is expensive and you can get the same nutrients from eating the fruit and veggie as a whole for a whole lot less money.

Not sure if srs. What would you be detoxing exactly? What advantage does this have over your body's natural detoxification process? How does this "juice" "detox" exactly?

well, some people here were born without kidneys, so they ....

ah, never mind. I can't even pretend that detoxing from food is a real thing.

well played.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I've seen 'em all. Done alot of the FADS---Medifast, starve yourself, Ayds, Dexatrim, Slimfast, and on, and on. Juicing is probably a good detox for a "brief" period and for the nutritionally challenged. Do you really want to drink all of your calories? Not me-I love food too much. This MFP is the first, easiest plan I have ever followed willingly. I eat really clean and like the juicers I do eat alot of fresh berries and vegetables....see you can eat them too and still feel amazing....I love this program. MFP has saved me from slipping further away from health and I plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. It fits me like a glove and I am so pleased with the results and how I feel. MFP---I'm in it for Life!! Spread the word. :smile:
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I juice for 1-2 days because of a medical condition every few months. It is more to give my digestive tract a rest, not to lose weight. I see nothing wrong with it. I believe the film had some very valid points about what we eat and how we eat, but his juicing was extreme and under the supervision of a doctor because he has a rare disease. For an average person to go months on juice alone is ridiculous and harmful to your body, I would think. But a day, maybe two? Why not.
  • ashleey1000
    Options
    I already kno a juice fast isn't for me because like everyone else I love food.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I already kno a juice fast isn't for me because like everyone else I love food.

Good for you. Don't let yourself be swayed by a documentary with a clear agenda.

You can just eat food, count your calories, exercise, and you'll find success. You don't need to cut out entire food groups or overdose on organic vegetables grown in your backyard.

Just count your calories. Here, for free. It really does work.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I juice water, daily.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed to say that about a year and a half ago I had plateaued hard.

I watched the video and was all fired up about it. I did the 10 day juice fast.

I lost a bout 10 pounds and felt weak. I had a lot of general energy, but nothing that could support any type of real activity.

The weight came back and my plateau remained in place for a long time afterwards. then I joined mfp to track my calories better.

It works, no reason to subject yourself to the torture. Some of it did taste good though and can be a great supplement to a normal diet.

Ok, my one serious post of the afternoon is done. thank you for your time.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I too was inspired buy the documentary so I dusted off my 20 year old omega juicer and went on a 3 day juice fast. Prior to the fast I stopped drinking coffee - had a headache for 2 weeks! While fasting I lost the desire to eat, the first day I was starving, after that you no longer crave food. I would have liked to have done it for a week but I work full time and it was too time sonsuming to juice in the morning and broing "breakfast and lunch. Plus it is really expensive. Now I have juice for one meal/day 2-3 times a week and since the juice fast, I am eating much healthier food. Less processed crap. This was 6 months ago and with MFP I will not gain the weight back

I lost 15 lbs in 2 week and went on to lose 20. I was logging on mfp while I juiced and after. I think juicing is a great short term way to jump start your weight loss.

Now if I could just get my famil to watch the movie with me.....
  • AbbieZabba
    AbbieZabba Posts: 110
    Options

well, some people here were born without kidneys, so they ....

ah, never mind. I can't even pretend that detoxing from food is a real thing.

Someone has removed my kidneys
    and other vital organs.

Will juicing still work for me??
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A number of people on this site have watched it and regularly comment on how inspired they are and how they plan to make changes to their lifestyle.

If one of them would like to come into this thread and post their success as a result of following the plan laid out I'd be very impressed.

Because from what I can tell, it's a biased documentary full of half-truths and propaganda made to sell expensive blenders.

But I am more than willing to be proven wrong.

can pizza be juiced?

Only if it has a cauliflower crust
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A number of people on this site have watched it and regularly comment on how inspired they are and how they plan to make changes to their lifestyle.

If one of them would like to come into this thread and post their success as a result of following the plan laid out I'd be very impressed.

Because from what I can tell, it's a biased documentary full of half-truths and propaganda made to sell expensive blenders.

But I am more than willing to be proven wrong.
    This. It's an infomercial for juicers. Nothing more.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think people here are missing the point.

The point of juicing is for people that otherwise wouldn't eat massive amounts of green leafy vegetables and colorful veggies and fruits... to well... consume them somehow.

I just CAN'T eat a pig's trough full of greens each day. I just won't. I can eat a large salad bowl, and do sometimes, but not a 2 gallon bowl. So I have learned to consume those fruits and veggies in green smoothies.

But for some, the consistency of all that extra fiber is too much. Or it messes with their digestion. For those people, I would say juice...

Is a pure juice diet sustainable? Of course not. Would a 10 day juice fast followed up with a 5 day per week "juice only" lunch be a great way for people to eat WAY more veggies/fruit, consume less calories, and get the nicronutrients from a raw food kind of diet?

ABSOLUTELY.

Check out my profile and open diary for how I usually eat 3-4 days worth of about 64 ounces of green smoothies. I've been doing green smoothies for workdays for 2 years. I'm not thin obviously... but it's helped me from being twice as huge.

Didnt' watch the documentary or read all the comments here, but I will say this guy's comment about greens seems legit to me.

I have done "juice fasts" and i was still fat afterwards. Or I would lose some weight and gain it back. The only way to make a change in your life is to make a lifestyle change that is sustainable.

that being said, when I juice greens and make a smoothie out of them, I do believe I am getting hella more vitamins than I get from just eating a romain lettuce salad, and I can attest that I have felt a spike in energy and peppiness when I have been actively juicing and consuming mad amounts of dark leafy greens on the regular....

Of course, I was also eaitng this thing called "food" at the time.
  • ashleey1000
    Options
    My first time watching it last fall had me so inspired I went out and bought a juicer. I only used it twice =/
    But I watched it again last night and became oh so inspired again lol. As good as it looks I wont be dusting my juicer off I will be sticking to my calorie counting and exercises.
    Just wanted to see if anyone on here tried it and was successful.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    :( so many comments already .. don't be the lemming that blindly jumps off a cliff sweetie. It's a whole lot of BS to sell products. Those are all paid actors .. paid to claim they're not actors. How do I know? pfft.. I live in So. Cal .. I have done auditions and bit work here and there and trust me .. IT'S FAKE! I went to an audition and decided nope - don't wanna be associated with some infomercial that I know to be fake.. because they audition "audience members" .. they audition for people who will try the stuff .. they audition for people to be "professionals" .. doctors, clients, success stories. Don't be silly and believe everything you see/hear.

Be sensible and learn to eat healthily. What? you gonna spend the rest of your life "juicing" ? When you have kids? when you retire? Be smart .. .. A fool and his/her money are soon parted ...
  • meredith824
    meredith824 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recently did a three-day Blueprint juice cleanse. I don't think there was anything physically special with the juice, but I was able to reset my eating habits and get back in touch with my body's hunger signals after years of cycling between extreme dieting and extreme overeating. I found the experience very helpful to get me started into a new healthy lifestyle. If you want to do a juice cleanse to lose weight as a permanent solution, I don't recommend it. But if you want to use it to jump start a new way of eating, it worked for me.

EDIT: I also think that juicing can be a great way to get in veggies that you wouldn't normally eat (at least in those quantities) but watch out for the sugar. I like juicing kale, celery, ginger, beets, and carrots as a supplement to normal meals.
  • theodus
    theodus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts work because of the drastic reduction in calorie intake. It's not a practical lifestyle, though. I'll do a two day juice fast every so often, and I juice once a day as a meal replacement. I will say that the drastic increase in greens does have a discernible effect in my body.

The point of juicing is to secure the benefits of eating a "pig's trough" of greens without throwing up halfway through the meal. Plus there are other benefits. The occasional fresh carrot juice does wonders for your skin by giving it a healthy, ruddy look - all that beta-carotene - it's a sunless tan that doesn't look like it came out of a spray can. Adding a hot pepper to your juice helps with blood circulation and provides micro-nutrients. This can go on and on.

But if you're looking to just lose weight, stick with calorie counting.
  • raegan1215
    Options
    i use my juicer all the time but not for meal replacement or on a fast. my husband love fresh citrus juice with breakfast and we find a juicer a great way to use up all our random odds and ends produce that's left after cooking meals. and we have two young nieces we take care of quite often who i'd rather serve fresh juice to than packaged processed sugar juice.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i actually got into a car accident back in 2010 was put on medication and my boyfriend at the time suggest i watch it. so i did. i decided since i was home taking care of myself and didn't want to get hooked on my meds i would try this. I did it for 9 months gradually towards the end i started adding in some foods such as a protein bar for breakfast and a healthy dinner i lost almost 85lbs. 2 years later i gained back 50 due to lack of even trying. im back to my juicing but im doing it the same as i did it towards the end i feel great, i was never big on eating all the time my problem with my gaining was eating too much of the wrong thing once a day. i usually only ate once or twice a day. now im eating 2x a day and juice 3.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!