Fat sick and nearly dead.

Options

Replies

• Katie9191
    Options
    A number of people on this site have watched it and regularly comment on how inspired they are and how they plan to make changes to their lifestyle.

If one of them would like to come into this thread and post their success as a result of following the plan laid out I'd be very impressed.

Because from what I can tell, it's a biased documentary full of half-truths and propaganda made to sell expensive blenders.

But I am more than willing to be proven wrong.

I watched this documentary and was truly inspired to make a healthy change to my lifestyle. I did 7 days of straight juicing and lost 10 pounds. But more than the weight loss, it helped (in my opinion) clear my body of all the toxins and cravings I was having and set me up to continue with a much healthier eating path and lifestyle. I've lost nearly 25 pounds since the first of the year and and am now doing the C25K program, which is a huge deal for me. I continue to go back to the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead website for success stories, recipes, and overall inspiration when I'm having a rough day. It gave me a lot of motivation and am very thankful that I saw this particular documentary.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've watched it, my gf watched, a few of our friends watched it. None of us are doing month long cleanses, but we all tried a couple days and met varying success.

We all did it as a jump start/supplemental to an already healthy diet. We all found it helpful in getting those pesky leafy greens into our diet.

Everything in moderation.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Award for most depressing thread title.

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking.

I haven't watched this show but I find sometimes if I watch shows like this I just end up over doing it when I work out because they frighten me.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast to start last year – I can't remember exactly how long I did it, I want to say it was 10 days – after watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.

I definitely lost some weight but more than that, the thing that amazed me was how great I felt. I had energy, I felt rejuvenated and I wasn't even remotely hungry. The only negatives were 1) the craving to "chew" something, which may have gone away if I had done the fast longer and 2) cleaning that blasted juicer. I hated cleaning it. It took longer to clean the juicer than to make and drink the juice.
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    I actually tried this for a month and then I started eating raw, which I actually liked but it irritated my husband with all the fruit and veggies that was covering our kitchen counter. While on the internet I found 30 bananas suck and after reading some of the stories, I changed back to eating regular cooked food.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    A number of people on this site have watched it and regularly comment on how inspired they are and how they plan to make changes to their lifestyle.

If one of them would like to come into this thread and post their success as a result of following the plan laid out I'd be very impressed.

Because from what I can tell, it's a biased documentary full of half-truths and propaganda made to sell expensive blenders.

But I am more than willing to be proven wrong.

I would respond only to say that the movie did inspire me to buy a juicer (cheap off craigslist). However, I did NOT do a juice fast like this movie encourages. Sorry, but mama's gotta eat. What I DID do is start juicing for breakfast only, mainly because: a) I have not been a big breakfast eater in the past, and b) I KNOW i need to increase my fruit & veg, and this was an easy way to do so. So, I have a nice fresh juice each morning with my coffee and often a hard boiled egg or something with good protein if I am still uhngry, and eat like a normal person the rest of the day. I will say it seems I am less hungry throughout the day when I juice (M-F), and my skin is definately nicer; however, I would also add that my eating in general is significantly healthier overall. And we know correlation does not imply causation.
  • dsco86
    dsco86 Posts: 11
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have done a 10-day juice fast, back at the end of October.
    I started off at 187 pounds and went down to 172. I went back up to 178-180 afterwards, then gradually went back down between 168-172.
    My boyfriend started off at 245 and went down to 227. He went back up a little bit, but is now at 215-218.
    So we haven't actually gained any of the weight back.
    I think a juice fast is a great way to jump start better eating habits and to cleanse your body. We felt great afterwards.
    I've been doing small fasts here and there, but I don't think you reap the full benefits unless you can make it to at least 5 days.
    I really missed the act of chewing, but didn't miss eating. I honestly think I find eating food very fun.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I like smoothies and do one daily for breakfast. I wouldn't do ANY kind of fast or strict diet like that, but I had a dear friend who lost almost 30 pounds doing it for a bit. He eventually went back to just eating sensible, healthy meals and continued to lose.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    why not take it one step further... just hook up an IV and never eat again
    If they made a pill that would contain all my needed nutrients and satisfy my hunger, I would happily take it and never eat again.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It made me want to juice, then I thought it over, and then I just ate more broccoli. haha
  • lease1981
    lease1981 Posts: 57
    Options
    I did jucing for a month straight did lose 20 lbs but put most of it back on. I also was super tired and was having serious back pain and headaches. I prob just wasn't getting enough vitamins like the guy did. It is a amazing documentry but feeling hungry all the time was terrible. I do own a juicer and use it on occasion but will not use it for a all day meal plan.
  • daklex
    daklex Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I watched FSND after watching Hungry for Change. I think that Hungry for Change made more sense, for me. The guy in FSND was in it, and he wasn't pushing for juicing as a way to live. Like someone said above, juicing a way to get great portions of veggies/fruits that you might not get elsewhere. And for me, I will throw some less desirable tasting but super healthy things in there, using the other ingredients to mask the flavor.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I watched FSND after watching Hungry for Change. I think that Hungry for Change made more sense, for me. The guy in FSND was in it, and he wasn't pushing for juicing as a way to live. Like someone said above, juicing a way to get great portions of veggies/fruits that you might not get elsewhere. And for me, I will throw some less desirable tasting but super healthy things in there, using the other ingredients to mask the flavor.

This
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Now I want to see this...lol
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    But fruit is sugar and sugar is evil, right?
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It made me want to juice, then I thought it over, and then I just ate more broccoli. haha
    Lol
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Now I want to see this...lol
    It's on Netflix if u have it
  • switch313
    switch313 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 day juice fast after watching the documentary.. not because of the health benefits but because i wanted to test my willpower. Ate nothing but "raw" food for three days leading up to it. That said I did lose 14 lbs and did keep it off but I don't know. I didn't feel angry or grouchy on it and only felt hungry the day before it was over because I knew it was about to be done.

Overall kind of a wash. Interesting experience neither negative or positive. I was also able to workout while on it but not as intense.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few weeks. As long as you are using things like kale, beets, and dark greens to get your liver in better working order I believe it is beneficial. One other thing that juicing is... Expensive. Takes a lot of vegetables to make just one juice. It did make me feel better when I did it, but it might of just been a placebo effect.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I juice water, daily.
    MIND BLOWN
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!