women and weight training (Pic heavy)

Options

Replies

• TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much for sharing! I am about to start doing the workouts in New Rules of Lifting for Women next week and I couldn't be more excited about it! You look amazing!!! (hopefully I will too someday)
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I want to be a she-hulk like the OP :wink:

Amazing! I just don't really know where to start. I go to the gym at the university where I work and the kids who work there, well, I'm not sure how much help they'd be. I can't afford a personal trainer. Would the book New Rules of Lifting for Women be helpful if I'm totally starting from scratch? I've only ever used the weight machines - never the free weights.

I was in the same place as you. I read that book. I am now 8 weeks in and loving it. I suggest this book to anyone and everyone.

I'm starting on Monday! I've read the book, love it and can't wait to actually start lifting!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work!
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration, thanks for sharing!! I have never known where to start aside from tiny dumbbells, but I would love to learn. You look beautiful and happy!!!
  • mimiyo1980
    mimiyo1980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love this! Going to start lowering my squats, saw a girl in the gym tonight using a step box behind her and going low enough for her butt to touch it on the squats. Great story, thanks for the inspiration.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!! Love your dress at the end, gorgeous! I love lifting heavy and can't wait until I start to get some great definition like you!!! Love it!!
  • wants2lift
    wants2lift Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    True inspiration!
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    You look amazeballs! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love your lifting pics. You kick *kitten*!!! :drinker:
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is awesome
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    you look GORGEOUS! thank you for posting!
  • Lugemachine
    Options
    The dress pic is a total "oh my gawd!" pic! I love watching the progression from overweight to sort of skinnyfat, then you start to REALLY kick *kitten* and get totally buff and hot! Fantastic work! Take it from an old bastahd... don't EVER stop.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You look fantastic! :love:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! Thanks for the reminder that it's not so much about what the scale says as how we feel. Awesome motivation!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    YOU are a freaking rockstar!!
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING!!!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Love your attitude! When I first started this journey all I wanted to be was skinny...then I discovered lifting and was hooked. Screw skinny, I want to be STRONG!!!!
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    wow love the end pic, you look gorgeous. I asked my trainer at the gym if it made any difference if cardio came first and he said no.

This really depends on what your long term goals are, if you are training for endurance (marathon, triathlon, etc) then you would want to probably start with cardio first so you can concentrate you efforts on cardio training. But if you are wanting to burn more fat I would recomend lifting first followed by 30-45 minutes of cardio.

To burn more fat, you ideally want your body to use your stored fat as fuel for exercise, and to do this, you need to burn off your glycogen stores first. Weight training is high intensity, which means it uses solely glycogen as fuel. If you do your weight training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores, meaning that when doing cardio, you will burn predominantly fat.

After a workout, your body continues to burn calories for up to 48 hours. This is known as excessive post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), and it occurs because your body needs to use energy to repair your muscles, deliver nutrients around the bloodstream and reset its hormone levels. The effect of EPOC is much higher after weight training than it is after cardio, which means it may be beneficial to put more effort into weight training. If you do your cardio first, then you won't have much energy left for your weight training and may not have a productive or intense session, thus preventing most of the EPOC effect.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/501547-is-it-better-to-do-cardio-before-or-after-lifting/#ixzz2MKHMysEp