Spousal sabotage

Options

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ...nothing.. not trying to say my man is perfect but hes supportive and would never sabatoge me. my success is his success and vice versa.
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The book Men are from Mars, Women from Venus was popular for a reason - we're different.

How my husband tells me he loves me: checks my oil, changes the lightbulbs, backs up my computer, leaves me alone to watch my favorite show. If I don't read that as love, there is a communication issue. Here he thinks he's showing it all day, I've just not been seeing it.

You have to talk about what your expectations are. And with men it's best to be direct, not vague. I need you to do x tomorrow because I'll be home too late to start dinner. Or if you are out and about and want to surprise me with something, right now I really need it to be non food related (flowers, game, puzzle or a magazine - yes give him the specific examples) or if it is food only fresh fruit please no matter how good the sale.

As for dinners - I agree with the other poster - the freezer is your friend! There is a thing called Once-a-Month-Cooking. Look it up and try a mini-plan. Have everyone help find some healthy recipes. Write your grocery list and have hubby go shop for exactly that. Then you'll be rested to cook. And don't forget your crockpot. nothing is better than to come home and dinner is hot and ready and smelling great.

So go hug him and tell him how much you love the big lug, but things are going to be a bit different for now.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    "Babe I got your favorite" PORK RINDS or Chicharrones. Hell no, I cannot eat those

Why can't you have pork rinds?

They're a bit high in fat, but twice as high in protein and have zero carbs.

This might be mean if he knew you were on low sodium or something.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would just tell him straight out "Hey, I am trying to be healthy and I can't eat this stuff anymore but thanks for thinking of me" and then chuck it when he's gone. LOL

Mine is pretty good, he eats whatever I cook and never complains and will walk with me or will tell the kids to leave me alone when I am trying to do my workout video but at night time, when we are watching TV and he busts out all his snacks and alcohol I have to tell him "Keep that crap away from me, Satan." HAHAHAHA
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Waiting around for your spouse to be on board only guarantees you'll be waiting around forever.

You'll fail and you'll never realize it's because of yourself. That's an awful way to go about it.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I know my kids (2 boys 10 and 11 years old) and husband (of 20 years) do not intentionally sabotage me, but sometimes it feels like it. They want to buy chips and junk - ticks me off sometimes - they are getting better though in some ways. I try healthier snacks but I wish they were all on board with my efforts. I have to get up at 6am to get time to exercise and because it is winter, I do the Wii Fit Plus, some Just Dance etc. But on the weekend, the boys expect me to let them play to, but this is MY time, we can play again later. I feel that I need to set an example for them all, but my hubby is not a child and it is hard to watch him eat burgers and fries, lots of coffee, no incentive to eat veggies or fruit. I suggested that we have fruit and veggies out to munch on. I totally sympathize with your struggle though and I hope one day they will follow suit. It will get to a point where there won't be any junk in the house...I am hoping it will get better and because they see the improvements and leaps and bounds we make, they will eventually choose healthier lifestyles. HUGS :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

....no offense but instead of using a video game to be fit why dont you use a real workout...why not try the 30 day shred then your kids can play their game in peace..

Ohhh.. no you didn't - lol *watches thread in anticipation of comment explosion*
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    ....no offense but instead of using a video game to be fit why dont you use a real workout...why not try the 30 day shred then your kids can play their game in peace..

Seriously? Maybe the video game exercising helps her get motivated. People take what they can get.

If you use the WII fit to get your abs ill take it back...:flowerforyou:
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    My mate hides pies under my pillow - talk about sabotage.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1) Making your kids wait to eat dinner till you can make it is not sabotage, it is lazy.

2) Buying you something he knows you like is not sabotage, it is thoughtful. And it is ungrateful of you to be upset because it wasn't the exact brand you like.

3) Believing your spouse is trying to sabotage you is a recipe for disaster.

I disagree! The kid part I can agree with but the hubby part, No way! I have a similar situation and alot of spouses will try and sabotage you out of insecurity. Mine just happens to Love "big women". But I've told him as long as we've been together it won't matter how small I get. But he does attempt to make me eat even when I don't want too and that is plain out sabotage!
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You think you have it bad?? We have little girls going around door to door, office to office selling girl scout cookies!!! I just scream, "why are you trying to sabotage me!!!" and slam the door shut!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Seriously? Maybe the video game exercising helps her get motivated. People take what they can get.

Actually, Dance Dance Revolution!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Definition of Sabotage: a deliberate action aimed at weakening another entity through subversion, obstruction, disruption, or destruction.

Therefore there is no such thing as intentionally sabotage. People are by nature stupid and forget. Just because fitness is one of the most important things in your life doesn't mean it’s the most important thing in your spouse’s life. I've been actively working on losing weight on 7 years and my wife still on occasionally buys food that is not good for me and I love or bakes me cookies. She does it to be nice. She also knows that ultimately it’s my choice to eat it or not.

Blaming others for bring food into your life you can't resist is a copout. Your husband got your favorite snack, give a kiss and thank him. Have a few then go workout and quit complaining. Why don’t you spend some of that long commute thinking about how nice your husband is instead of complaining about him in a public forum.
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I heard "What am I going to do if you are trying to cut down? I like to eat too much." He didn't have a weight problem, but when I was minding my food intake, it was threatening to him because he liked to cook, bake, and eat, and liked his partner to eat what he cooked and baked, and that was me...I put on pounds while we were together. Not even the calories burned while I was cleaning up matched the high sugar/fat cals in the food. That was just one area of contention. Since I left him, I am down 25, and have 10 to go. Still miss him, but I couldn't afford the unhealthy lifestyle that defined the relationship. We weren't married, so not "spousal" sabatoge. Maybe your hubby will get on the train with you, both get healthier! good luck! :drinker:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I worked for many years with a woman who was married to a much older man (like she was 30 and he was 56). She tried to lose weight so many times and if she had any success he would get so jealous and sabotage her at every turn until she gained it back and then he was happy. She died in her mid-40's of heart disease and he died less than a year later, I think mostly of heartbreak. His sabotage certainly backfired because it basically killed them both.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I know my kids (2 boys 10 and 11 years old) and husband (of 20 years) do not intentionally sabotage me, but sometimes it feels like it. They want to buy chips and junk - ticks me off sometimes - they are getting better though in some ways. I try healthier snacks but I wish they were all on board with my efforts. I have to get up at 6am to get time to exercise and because it is winter, I do the Wii Fit Plus, some Just Dance etc. But on the weekend, the boys expect me to let them play to, but this is MY time, we can play again later. I feel that I need to set an example for them all, but my hubby is not a child and it is hard to watch him eat burgers and fries, lots of coffee, no incentive to eat veggies or fruit. I suggested that we have fruit and veggies out to munch on. I totally sympathize with your struggle though and I hope one day they will follow suit. It will get to a point where there won't be any junk in the house...I am hoping it will get better and because they see the improvements and leaps and bounds we make, they will eventually choose healthier lifestyles. HUGS :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

OH. This is going to be good. *kitten*'s about to get real up in here, people.

i came back to this thread just to read this comment. <3
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options
    I worked for many years with a woman who was married to a much older man (like she was 30 and he was 56). She tried to lose weight so many times and if she had any success he would get so jealous and sabotage her at every turn until she gained it back and then he was happy. She died in her mid-40's of heart disease and he died less than a year later, I think mostly of heartbreak. His sabotage certainly backfired because it basically killed them both.

Thats so tragic...:( im bowing out of this thread this made me sad..
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Until MFP, I had no idea that men buying their women their favorite food was considered sabotage. I also never had a period before either, but thankfully there are enough TOM threads around to teach me how to deal with it. :drinker:

I'm a 41 year old man, and I know...

...oh, never mind.

As for OP: generally, us guys mess up the whole "buying stuff for you" thing. It almost always isn't intentional. Perhaps he truly was just trying to be (and actually being) nice. As for how to handle your favorite foods, you should seriously consider trying to work them into your calories for the day because, well, they're your favorites...and if there's one food you should be willing to sacrifice something for, it should be your favorite foods.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    Options

Actually, Dance Dance Revolution!

Seriously!?!? Im sorry i take it back!!! GAME ON!!!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I wish to issue an apology.

I had previously, in this thread, made reference to a loaf of bread. I have been informed that this was an attack or insulting post. It was not my intention to attack or insult loaves of bread, so my apologies to everyone who was offended by my cavalier attitude towards this particular type of flour based product.

Fortunately the post has already been removed on my behalf.

Again, sorry.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    am I seriously the only one with the Beastie Boys playing in my head?

Every.

Single.

Post (on this topic).

Can't stand it, I know you planned it,
    I'm a set it straight, this Watergate!