Mixed weight Couples: what are your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's funny, because in my 2 relationships I have been both the fatter and the thinner member of the couple. With my ex (who is over 400 pounds), I was the one trying to gently get her to eat healthier and be more active. Not because I didn't find her attractive, but simply for health reasons. My boyfriend is ~170, so now I'm the fatty, and he doesn't seem to care. He calls me sexy all the time :3 the only thing that's gotten a little annoying recently is, whenever I say I want ice cream or fast food: "Don't throw your diet!" *grumbles*

But really, he's a sweetheart, and has been very supportive of me the past few months as I've become more serious about exercising and watching what I eat. I think the reason mixed-weight couples don't work is because it boils down to one person being shallow :P if you truly love someone you will love them regardless of their size!
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Like race it shouldn't be an issue - imo you can't love someone for their looks.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love my husband through thick and thin, and he loves me the same way.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    <
    chubby chaser
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    My boyfriend is the same weight as me, but almost a foot taller.(he's def. skinnier). He thinks i'm sexy, i think he's sexy. It works out. We love the other for who they are.
  • CuddlyIrish
    CuddlyIrish Posts: 149
    Options
    This is honestly something Ive never even thought about. Good people love good people.

Can I say though that if it came down to it that the majority of men would go for the tall, thin, big boobed type as apposed to the plus size pretty girl who has an awesome personality. Way it is, way it always will be in my opinion.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had always been 50-70 pounds heavier than my husband. I am now 10-15 pounds lighter than he is. I can now run and jump into his arms, and side-by-side we look really good together. It's wonderful to now be his "little lady" but I would love him regardless of his weight as he has always loved me regardless of mine. His sense of humor, his personality, his wonderful fathering skills, and how he helped me deal with the death of my parents will always make him the best man in the world to me, regardless of how he looks! Lucky for me he's hot no matter what!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At my starting weight, I was more than 100 pounds heavier than my husband.
  • angellepen
    Options
    I don't really have an opinion or care about it. If your happy then so be it! :)
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    This is honestly something Ive never even thought about. Good people love good people.

This!! Nice to hear it coming from a guy. :flowerforyou:
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My ex was 350lbs and I was 115. I didn't care. I thought he was sexy. He was theone who was insecure about his weight. I only got pissed and brok eup with him when for 7 weeks straight he chose food and Glee over sex.. Big, thin, buff, fluffy, I dont care, but I don't give up sex!!
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My ex was 350lbs and I was 115. I didn't care. I thought he was sexy. He was theone who was insecure about his weight. I only got pissed and brok eup with him when for 7 weeks straight he chose food and Glee over sex.. Big, thin, buff, fluffy, I dont care, but I don't give up sex!!

Word!
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    The only problem I see is that there could, over time, be a big difference in health and energy levels. Attractiveness to yourpartner is only one aspect of perceived overweight.
  • mpschultzMTV
    Options
    I work in casting for MTV True Life and we are currently in the process of finding talent for our new episode - True Life I'm in a Mixed Weight Relationship. I am going to post the casting call below in this reply in case you fit the criteria/are interested. If not perhaps you might know a friend or blog reader who might be interested in being on TV and sharing their story. Thank you for your time!

TRUE LIFE: I'M IN A MIXED-WEIGHT RELATIONSHIP
    Is weight the number one problem in your relationship? Do your partner's snide comments and judgmental looks turn every meal into an argument? Do you feel guilty when your partner goes to the gym because you'd rather just sit on the couch? Do you dread going out in public because you're afraid people will wonder why you're not with someone your own size? Do you even eat in secret to avoid being judged? Are you afraid that if you don't lose those extra pounds you might lose the one you love? Or... Are you physically fit and the attention you receive is causing jealousy? Is your mate growing mentally and romantically distant because they're uncomfortable in their body? Do you feel like the only option to save your relationship is to give an ultimatum to your loved one to lose weight? If you appear to be between the ages of 16 and 28 and you're ready to tackle the relationship issues caused by your weight differences, MTV wants to hear your story! Write to us at mixedweight@gmail.com and give us your name, location, phone number, picture, and a description of your situation and what you plan to do about it.

Best,
    Mike
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I work in casting for MTV True Life and we are currently in the process of finding talent for our new episode - True Life I'm in a Mixed Weight Relationship. I am going to post the casting call below in this reply in case you fit the criteria/are interested. If not perhaps you might know a friend or blog reader who might be interested in being on TV and sharing their story. Thank you for your time!

TRUE LIFE: I'M IN A MIXED-WEIGHT RELATIONSHIP
    Is weight the number one problem in your relationship? Do your partner's snide comments and judgmental looks turn every meal into an argument? Do you feel guilty when your partner goes to the gym because you'd rather just sit on the couch? Do you dread going out in public because you're afraid people will wonder why you're not with someone your own size? Do you even eat in secret to avoid being judged? Are you afraid that if you don't lose those extra pounds you might lose the one you love? Or... Are you physically fit and the attention you receive is causing jealousy? Is your mate growing mentally and romantically distant because they're uncomfortable in their body? Do you feel like the only option to save your relationship is to give an ultimatum to your loved one to lose weight? If you appear to be between the ages of 16 and 28 and you're ready to tackle the relationship issues caused by your weight differences, MTV wants to hear your story! Write to us at mixedweight@gmail.com and give us your name, location, phone number, picture, and a description of your situation and what you plan to do about it.

Best,
    Mike

Is he serious?
  • rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    My husband and I started dating almost 11 years ago and have been married close to 9 now. When we first met, I was in a 15/16 juniors pants size, he had to wear a belt to hold up his size 30 jeans. Now, I'm in a size 26 going on 24 and my husband is a solid 38... we've both gained a lot together and now we are both working on going backwards. But we love each other, thick or thin through thick and thin and thats that. The only time weight has been a problem is when my hormone issues have cause bedroom issues, but I've always been one to believe that even when *your* not in the mood, your partners needs have to be met and so it was never a huge deal. I think some people are attracted to certain aspects, and my hubby is definitely a chubby chaser anyway, but when it comes down to it, physical attraction isn't the only attraction, just the first one.
  • Mrs_Goatess
    Mrs_Goatess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Our only problem is that since we both started using mfp, we realized that I need to eat only *half* the amount of calories he does. Meal planning gets a bit weird, but we're managing well so far. :)
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Really. I'm 125 lbs. my hubby is... a little more up there. He's trying to lose the fat, because ultimately you want to be with someone who desires to be healthy. You can be with and love someone who is big, lazy, or both, but eventually it's gonna put a damp in the relationship. If you really care about your loved one you will push them to be healthier, in a loving way.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'4" and 236. I'm 5'9" 264. I started at 294.

He's dropped comments that are hurtful. I assume it's out of insecurity. But I know that as much as he hates my body (and I found IM transcripts to his ex wife stating that he did), I'm not thrilled with his belly either.

I'm trying to change my life, but it's hard when I hear how he's waiting for me to give up, and how 'so and so' is HUGE, at LEAST 250 lbs!

Yes. I'm fat, but he's mean and tactless. I'm going to lose my weight, but he'll still have the attitude. Yeah, we're mismatched.
  • MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something that unfortunately takes up alot of my headspace . My husband is 5'11 165lbs and i am 5'9 310lbs (but getting less everyday!). He tells me I'm beautiful and he loves me, he doesn't see me as fat he just sees me - the woman he fell in love with 10 years ago and the mother of his child. He's very supportive and is happy to eat what i do as we have both put on alot of weight together (he needed it, i didn't!). I'm sure looking forward to seeing myself as he sees me! :-)