Black Team- A Team of Champions!

Options
72lori
72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
Ok, my friends, it's time for this. A new thread. It's time for a fresh start. It's time for us to shed our old ways and to embrace the greatness we have inside of us.

Most of us have been part of this team for a while. Many of us (if not all) are at the same point in this journey, (which I personally could describe for myself as the slow train to nowhere). It's time for that to change! We work too hard to sit back and accept less than what we deserve and let me tell you my friends, we deserve a lot!

I have been reading my Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle book again. The chapter on goals gets me motivated every time. I found a few articles on the internet written by the author of my book that can be accessed by all and I want you to read them.

First, read this, it's called Can You Think Yourself Thin? (You will have to copy and paste the address into another window, I have tried everything and can not get it to hyperlink.... grrrr, also there is an annoying pop up window, but it's worth the aggrevation to read the article!)
http://www.mindwaves.co.uk/article_24.htm

Then, read this (and I know none of us are aspiring body builders, but read the message behind it!)..... http://www.bodybuildingapplied.com/index_center_nutrition.asp?newsId=39

Now... get ready to set some goals people! We are no longer going to be negative about ourselves and our inabiltiy to achieve our goals, we are no longer going to be self defeating. We are no longer going to do those things because we WILL meet our goals.

When you are setting your goals, make them specific, measurable, big yet realistic, make sure you set short and long term goals. Plan on reading these goals to yourself EVERY day, at least twice a day, but as many times as you can.

Got it?

Good! Now get to goal setting already!

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Goal #1 - Make it through the rest of the day without falling asleep at my desk.

:bigsmile:

Great post, Lori! *HUGS* All of you are great! :drinker:
  • 72lori
    Options
    Goal #1 - Make it through the rest of the day without falling asleep at my desk.

:bigsmile:

Great post, Lori! *HUGS* All of you are great! :drinker:

Beansy is on the boards! She found this before I even finished editing the dang thing. Personally, I click my topics and never stray into the scary land out there, but that's just me. LOL
  • 72lori
    Options
    Here are mine, and no, they didn't just pop into my head the last minute, I took all last week to write these bad boys!

Ultimate goals:
    *Daily when I look in the mirror, I smile and am proud of all that I have accomplished and feel great about myself.
    *Most importantly, I learned so much on this journey that I am fit, healthy and at an optimal weight for the rest of my life.

12 month goals:
    *I have 18% body fat, weigh 140 pounds and wear a size 6 Levi's.
    *I see how my hard work paid off in the form of a ripped body.

3 month goals:
    *I have 20% body fat and weigh 145 pounds.
    *I am comfortable with the way I look and am ready to achieve even greater results.

Weekly goals:
    *I evaluate my progress and make changes as necessary.
    *I plan ahead for workouts and meals.

Daily goals:
    *I measure, weigh and log my food, all the while making healthy, smart decisions as to what I eat, especially when in social situations and around family and friends.
    *I always remember the power of positive thinking and review my goals daily.
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    tag! thanks, lori :heart:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    is it cheating to just copy your goals?

:wink:

My goal is to SOME FREAKING DAY hit 160, but honestly to just keep plugging away, train for my half, keep logging the food, make wise choices and like you, Lori, love the lady looking back at me each day knowing 20 years ago I wasn't fit to lick the boots of who I am today.

My goal for hubs' absence is to anally follow my training schedule. Also, to increase my weights training with Aaron to every other day across the board, instead of three days a week. okay, I admit it-- I'm totally hooked by upper body toning. A Sherrard with fit arms and back? Unheard of. (my maiden name-- 'member, I come from a long line of thick backed women)

Summer goal is to enjoy the healthy food of the season. Cmriverside has been in my head today, who theorized that maybe our 5-10 lb gain during the winter is just our lifestyle, our diet, et cetera. Ya know-- maybe. I always weigh and measure faithfully-- but 1400 calories of summer fruits and veggies has got to be better than 1400 calories of winter stews and casseroles. So, we'll see what happens. I'm bust my rump as usual, and see if the floof disappears.

Lori-- you just rock. SOOOOOOO glad to see you "BACK." I knew it would happen.

NEXT MISSION-- BATMAN-- where the h-e double hockeysticks have you been, buddy? No excuses, my friend-- get yer butt back here and get it in gear. You have a whole summer full of crap on your calendar you have to be fit for. What gives?

Love to all-- goshhhhhhhh, I hope I can meet some of you this summer!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJxrX42WcjQ&feature=fvst

The Black Team's Theme Song-- I love you all!
  • 72lori
    Options
    Oh yah, one more thing. Tell me something you 'got' out of each article. Something that hit home. Something that made you think.

If I could figure out how to spell the sound of a whip cracking I would do it right now, but I have a pounding headache and I'm feeling phonetically challenged.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Oh yah, one more thing. Tell me something you 'got' out of each article. Something that hit home. Something that made you think.

If I could figure out how to spell the sound of a whip cracking I would do it right now, but I have a pounding headache and I'm feeling phonetically challenged.

somebody somewhere has a whip smiley-- I'll have to find it.

Bingo-- whip.gif
  • Marla64
    Options
    Okay-- first-- nothing is worth that pop up window-- just sayin'

Onto the next article-- bringing it up for later.

Off to make din-din.

Later, cats!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    thanks for this Lori!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Oh yeah-- and goal numero quatro, I think, is to amp up the ab work-- need to get this core in shape to help the running.
  • 72lori
    Options
    First article... that pop up is a stinker......

The ‘Law of Attraction’ and Weight Loss:

Can You Think Yourself Thin?

By Tom Venuto NSCA-CPT, CSCSMetaphysics & Brain science merge and prove that positive thinking and goal setting literally create your body and your entire life experience. On recently broadcast special edition of CNN's Larry King Live, Mr. King interviewed a panel of "mind experts" about how the thoughts you think literally turn into the events you experience, the material things you possess... AND even the health of your body.

For years, "positive thinking" and goal-setting were often criticized as "pollyanna" and "the law of attraction" was relegated into the category of "new age" fluff.

On the recent Larry King show, panel experts Bob Proctor, John Assaraf and others who were featured in the movie 'The Secret' explained that recent breakthroughs in neuroscience along with understanding mental laws, reveal why goal setting, the "law of attraction" and "positive thinking" all work, regardless of whether you look at them from a metaphysical or a scientific perspective.

Scientists have even identified specific parts of the brain, such as the reticular activating system (RAS), which works with the visual parts of our brain to call our conscious attention to things that are important to reaching our goals and to filter out those things that are unimportant.

The RAS is activated by "programming" goals into our sub-conscious minds. Our sub conscious mind is the "power center" and THIS is the mechanism that explains why goal setting and positive thinking are now being accepted as scientific methods for change.

We are discovering that our brain is cybernetic in nature, which means that it is literally like a computer, waiting for a program to be installed.

Here's the kicker - the subconscious is completely neutral and impartial - it will carry out any instructions you give it.

Unfortunately, many of us are still running negative programs we picked up from others as children when our non-conscious minds were totally open and impressionable, or which we developed over the years as a result of repetition of our own negative thinking.

As it turns out, our own thoughts, repeated daily, are one of the primary ways that our "mental computer" is programmed on a sub-conscious level, which is the level of beliefs, habits and automatic behavior.

To change your results, you must overwrite old negative programming and install positive new programming into your subconscious.

This can be achived through such techniques as written goal setting, positive self-talk (affirmations), and mental imagery (visualization).

In the 1970's, the Soviets and East Germans were the first to formally use structured mental rehearsal, and at that time, they dominated in several Olympic sports. This was reported in great detail in Charles Garfield's landmark book, "Peak Performance." Today, virtually all elite athletes use visualization extensively, as we now know that the brain cannot differentiate between real practice and practice that is vividly imagined.

If you are getting more of the same negative results in your life - such as the same health problems, or the same body fat continues to return even after you lose it, then you have probably been un-consciously running old negative programs and re-enforcing them with negative thought patterns.

You can begin the positive mental reprogramming process by writing down your goals, changing your internal dialogue and taking a few minutes to relax, quiet your mind and perform a session of visualization or mental rehearsal every day (seeing yourself in your "mind's eye" not as you currently are, but as you ideally would like to be).

These methods, repeated often enough, will begin to program the non- conscious portion of the mind, which is the same part of the mind that controls your heart beat, digestion and new cell production, all on "automatic pilot."

In the last decade, neuroscientists discovered that you have the capacity to create an almost infinite number of new neural connections in your brain when you run new thought patterns.

The old neural pathways are like grooves in a record, and if you are struggling with your health related behaviors, or behaviors in any other area of your life, you have been playing the "old records" over and over again.

If you were to carve a new groove into that record, it would never play the same way again. the old pattern would weaken and the new one would take over. Brand new, positive thoughts, feelings and images begin to create new neural patterns.

Psychologists estimate that it takes 21 to 30 days to establish a new pattern in your brain. During this time, the focus on sticking with your practice and repeating your new thought patterns is critical.

Is this easy? For most people, no it's not. In fact, controlling your thinking and keeping it constructive may be one of the most difficult challenges you have ever faced. Fortunately, writing goals and reading affirmations can help get you started.

You can take some of the pressure off yourself by simply accepting that negative thoughts and self criticisms will pop up from time to time. Just observe them, without mulling over them or adding to them, and change the polarity of the thought by quickly repeating one of your positive affirmations or by changing your mental pictures.

So is there something to this whole "positive thinking" thing?

The philosophers and theologians have been saying yes for the entire span of recorded history: "As you think, so shall you be." Variations on this proverb can be found in every spiritual and philosophical tradition.

But... if you are the left-brained, "prove-it-to-me" type, you don't have to go on faith anymore. Scientists are beginning to prove more and more convincingly that thoughts are powerful things. Even Larry King seemed impressed with what his panel of "mind mentors" had to say.

So how soon are you going to begin your mental training right alongside your physical training? When are you going to learn how to harness this power locked up inside your mind?

Guess what? You're already using this force every day because you cannot turn it off. Whatever you are thinking and picturing in your mind repeatedly on a daily basis is already on it's way to you, so it's simply a matter of HOW you are using it, not IF you are using it.

What do you say to yourself every day? Do you say, "I am becoming leaner, healthier and more muscular every day?"... or do you say "I am a fat person - I've tried everything, nothing ever works?"

The fact is - you can think yourself thin and healthy or you can think yourself obese and ill. Maybe not in the literal sense...but most certainly as the critical part in the chain of causation...

You see, there's a lot of talk these days in the personal improvement world about law of attraction, manifesting, intention, visualization, affirmations and of course, positive thinking.

Without understanding that there is an orderly, scientific basis underneath all of these things, many people will simply remain skeptics, while on the opposite extreme, others may get the idea that you can sit around meditating and visualizing, then expect a mystical "law of attraction" to kick in and then "poof!" a great body materializes out of thin air... along with the perfect relationship, a nice bank account and fantastic career success.

What really happens is "positive thinking" and related methods quite literally re-program your brain, which in turn creates new behaviors that move you physically toward whatever you have been thinking about and focusing on.

So success is achieved through positive thinking + positive doing.... attraction + action. There are two sides to the coin. Without paying attention to both, you may continue to struggle... often against nothing but yourself.

If you want to transform your body or any other aspect of your life, then you have to change on the inside (the mind) first and then everything else will follow.

This process of *scientific* goal setting and mental reconditioning through emotionally charged mental imagery (visualization) and internal mental dialogue (affirmations) is the very first thing I have always taught my clients and the first thing I wrote about in my book. You can learn all of these techniques in detail in chapter 1. Learn more about the psychology of body transformation inside Tom Venuto's bestselling book.

About the Author:

Tom Venuto is a natural bodybuilder and author of the #1 best selling e-book, "Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle," which teaches you how to burn fat without drugs or supplements using the little-known secrets of the world's best bodybuilders and fitness models. Learn how to get rid of stubborn fat and turbo-charge your metabolism. Click Here to visit Tom Venuto's Website.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Lori.....c'mere.........big hug gurl!!

Could not have better timeing. I will write mine up over the next few days and post for all to see.

1. Exercise

This must go on my short term, long term and forever term goals!! I forget, I don't do it and I am a fluffy pillow again. Weight gain is always within 5 lbs, but the fluff is yucky!!

Making a sign for tonight about exercise

"Exercise makes me feel strong, healthy and happy!~"
  • 72lori
    Options
    Second article since I'm probably violating copyright laws... although this one is good to visit just for the picture....:bigsmile:
    Every so often you meet a bodybuilder who is very different. They radiate a mysterious strength, power, and charisma that is seldom seen. You may not be able to put your finger on exactly what it is that is that makes this person stand out, but something special is definitely there; they are a champion.

Skeptics would say that it is drugs that makes these athletes better than the rest, but if you had the opportunity to study a group of these exceptional athletes, you would find that every single one of them has certain outstanding characteristics in common that the losers do not. They all take specific actions every day. They all have similar thought patterns and belief systems. They all talk alike. They all have specific personality traits. They all have certain habits. It is these traits that set them apart from the failures.

What are these qualities that make these people so exceptional? And why do so few have them while most do not? This list of 12 traits will describe what qualities separate the winners from the losers. If you cultivate these traits in yourself, you too can become a champion and you will grow with an aura of strength and power that will set you on the road to bodybuilding success.

The 12 Traits of Champions:

(1) Champions are positive thinkers; they believe in themselves.

Undoubtedly the most important quality that all champions share is an unwavering belief that they will succeed. Champions always look for the good in every situation. No matter what obstacles they encounter, they always continue to think positive. Without confidence, faith in your abilities, and positive mental attitude, you’ve defeated yourself before you ever step onstage.

(2) Champions visualize their successes.

Champions understand the importance of positive mental imagery or visualization. Champion bodybuilders visualize exactly how they want their bodies to look, they see themselves standing onstage accepting the first place trophy, and they mentally rehearse every workout in vivid detail. They do this over and over in their minds hundreds or even thousands of times before it becomes physical reality.

(3) Champions surround themselves with positive people and avoid negative influences.

Champions keep themselves in a "positive shell" and do not associate with negative people, places, or things. Arnold Schwarzenegger put it this way: "I have nothing to do with negative relationships. I stay away from negative influences. I have no time for negative thinkers and pessimists. Such people will suck you dry until you have become as pessimistic as they are. Then you’ll have not just one but two losers."

(4) Champions are goal setters.

Champions realize that if they don’t know where they’re going, that is exactly where they’ll end up; nowhere! Champions consistently set long and short-term goals. From day to day workout goals to long term career objectives, champion’s have written out specific, measurable goals with a deadline.

(5) Champions have a burning desire to succeed.

Champions not only have goals, but they ardently desire them. Robert Collier, summed up the idea of desire beautifully in his 1926 self-help classic Secret of the Ages." He said, "Very few people know how to desire with sufficient intensity. They do not know what it is to feel and manifest that intense, eager, longing, craving, insistent, demanding, ravenous desire which is akin to the persistent, insistent, ardent, overwhelming desire of the drowning man for a breath of air, or a desert-lost man for a drink of water, or the famished man for bread and meat." Champions have burning desire. They want it and they want it badly.

(6) Champions are disciplined and consistent.

Champions live and breathe the bodybuilding lifestyle all year round. They are committed and disciplined in training and dietary practices. They know that in bodybuilding there is no off-season and success does not come overnight. Champions never miss a scheduled workout and never miss a meal. Champion bodybuilders are probably the most dedicated athletes in any sport.

(7) Champions are persistent

Champions never, ever quit. Thomas Edison was the epitome of persistence: He conducted 10,000 experiments before finally finding a filament that would burn in the electric light bulb. Champion bodybuilders approach their vocation with the same diligence of an Edison. They know that if they persist long enough, eventually they must succeed.

(8) Champions learn from their failures

Champions don't view losses as failures, they see them as learning experiences. When asked how it felt to fail 10,000 times, Thomas Edison replied, " I didn’t fail, I learned 9,999 ways that wouldn’t work." Champions know that they haven’t failed until they quit; but once they quit, then they have failed. A champion finds a lesson in every apparent loss and finds ways to grow from it.

(9) Champions have incredible powers of focus and concentration

Champions set goals and then maintain a laser-like focus on them. They have the ability to always keep the long term objective in their sights while focusing 100% on what they are doing at the moment. If you watch a champion train you will notice that they are completely oblivious to their surroundings. 100% of their focus and concentration is on what they are doing. They almost appear to have slipped into a hypnosis-like trance. This peak physiological and psychological state has often been referred to as being in "the zone" or being in "flow." Champions can access this state instantly at will. When it comes time to train they turn everything else off and zero in on what they are doing.

(10) Champions have a deep love and boundless enthusiasm for the sport.

To a loser, training and dieting is work and drudgery. To a champion, training and dieting are a love, a joy, and a passion. Champions are enthusiastic about what they do; they can’t wait to train each day. Motivational speaker Tom Hopkins once said, "Work is anything you’re doing when you’d rather be doing something else." Champions are doing what they love, so to them it’s not work at all, its fun!

(11) Champions strive for constant and never ending improvement

Champions are never satisfied with the status quo; they never rest on their laurels. Champions aim for small improvements every day in every way. Champions are open-minded and are always looking for a better way to do things. Although champions are always striving for more, they also realize that success is a journey, so they enjoy each moment and savor every step along the way.

(12) Champions are hard workers; they are willing to go the extra mile

Positive thinking, goal setting, visualization, desire, persistence, and enthusiasm are vital, but without action and hard work, these traits are all worthless. Edison said, "Success is 98% perspiration and 2% inspiration." Champions are hard workers. Champions take consistent action and they are willing to do the things that the losers are not. Champions make themselves go to the gym when they don’t feel like going. Champions stay on the bike another 15 minutes, even when they are exhausted. Champions do 5 extra reps after the losers have stopped. Champions are steadfast with their diets when the failures break down and cheat. Champions have the willingness to train through the pain barrier while the failures quit when it starts to hurt. In short, champions go the extra mile.

Tom Venuto is a lifetime natural bodybuilder, personal trainer, gym owner, freelance writer and author of Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle: Fat Burning Secrets of the World's Best Bodybuilders and Fitness Models. Tom has written over 140 articles and has been featured in IRONMAN magazine, Natural Bodybuilding, Muscular Development, Muscle-Zine, Exercise for Men and Men's Exercise. Tom is the Fat Loss Expert for Global-Fitness.com and the nutrition editor for Femalemuscle.com and his articles are featured regularly on literally dozens of other websites.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Lori- You are simply amazing..Thanks so much for this..

My goals are to look at myself each day and say something postivie about myself, and also for as many calories as I burn a day I need to learn to eat a little more but the numbers game gets in my head!!!
  • 72lori
    Options
    I gave homework and they scattered like roaches when the light goes on..... :laugh:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    tag
  • Marla64
    Options
    I gave homework and they scattered like roaches when the light goes on..... :laugh:

:laugh:

I'm working-- I'm working!

I read through the first one a bit-- more thoughts tomorrow--
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,930 Member
    Options
    Sigh....I screwed up my long post. I'll do it again....:sad:
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,930 Member
    Options
    Goals:
    FOOD
    *Log more faithfully.
    *I will make a more conscience effort to make healthy, wise choices over unhealthy ones
    * I will create weekly meals, thus making it easier to log my food..
    * I will introduce one new food each week. Fruit, veggie, fish, etc.
    * I will drink at least 64oz of water each day
    EXERCISE
    * Make exercise a priority
    * I'm going to run at least 2X a week before I get ready for work in the a.m. This is a biggie for me. My intentions hardly ever overcome my desire to hit snooze again and again and again.
    * I’m going to get the whole family involved in exercise.
    * I will get use out of the new weight bench and weights that DH just brought home for FREE
    * I will do at least one pull up by December 31, 2010.
    FAMILY
    *I will think before I speak to and treat my family. They are the ones whom I love the most and I tend to take out my hormones, bad days, stress, etc. on them. They don’t deserve that.

Lori, thanks for posting the articles. I read through them and had to check out the photo in article 2. NICE!
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,059 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later - have a tonne of work to do as well as look after the little ones today - going away overnight with hubby tonight :smile: , so will try to get this read either later or tomorrow. xx