i'm over 40. is it impossible?

Options

Replies

• luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    HI, I am now 61, I have lost 28 kgs, (61 lbs) started in Jan 2012 - I was amazed at how much weight I lost using MFP - and I could still eat. I wish I had done this years ago. I posted my photos and success story in the forum. (if you search the forum Aussie 60 it should come up)

I am still losing but very slowly now, I think I need to do weights, that seems to be a great help to people.

Just start today and do it, every day that you do better than you did is a plus :smile:

And you have done very well my friend ... Congratulations ! And thank you for all your support.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I started my diet last November and have lost 22 pounds. i am 62. Well I will be 63 tomorrow. I figure I am pretty much on track at losing 1 pound a week. Yep, it takes a long time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I started my diet last November and have lost 22 pounds. i am 62. Well I will be 63 tomorrow. I figure I am pretty much on track at losing 1 pound a week. Yep, it takes a long time.

happy birthday. have a great day. your doing fab
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    My mom is 54 year's old, she has lost 80 lbs this past year... She is 12 lbs to her goal. You can do it :)

34fia9t.jpg
  • staciasuperstar
    staciasuperstar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Diamond that was a great reply
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm 37.... close to 40 it's not funny. It's not hard, just means working harder. :)
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am here because I am 38 and my 40th is looming. I want to be fit and forty! So yes I think its achievable and some of the fittest women in my classes at the gym are 40+.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am in my forties and know EXACTLY what you mean. EXACLY! And it happened at exactly 40 years old on the nose. It is sooo frustrating. It seems no matter what you do, even if you do it right that it no longer works. There is however a motivational website that I found once and can't find it now, but would love to share it with you. It is something like, "fit women over forty" and it shows nearly a 100 pics of women over forty and all the way up to their 80s who have AMAZING, in shape, strong, sexy bodies. I LOVE IT, because it gave me such hope that I don't have to age and look saggy and old. If I find it, I'll share it with you. If you want to be friends on here, add me. I am looking for like-minded friends. :)
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm 37.... close to 40 it's not funny. It's not hard, just means working harder. :)
    Trust me, it is VERY hard. I was in the best shape of my life at 37. When you hit forty, things change and nothing seems to work. I have been in the fitness industry my entire adult life so it isn't like I don't know what i am doing. Just remember this topic in a few years. You haven't been there yet so you can't say, "it isn't hard". When you get to 40, I would love to hear your take on it. 37 isn't 40. It's close, but it isn't the same thing.

The lady who created this post is asking if anyone else, "finds it a challenge and if they have tips". That said, she believes it is possible or she wouldn't be asking, but she is saying she, "can't believe how hard it suddenly became. She dead on about that.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and have lost 44 lbs since July last year. Believe me at 40 you are still young and able to do this. Weight loss is never easy whatever age you are but when you do lose it, it is well worth it. Good luck.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how hard weight loss has become since I hit my 40s. I remember people telling me when I was younger "wait till you're 40" They were right. I feel like in order to lose weight nowadays, I can't eat ANYTHING and I have to work out like a maniac. It's so depressing. I don't want to live like that for the rest of my life but I sure don't want to be a fatty either!

Anyone else out there experiencing this sucky realization? Any advice?

I am restricted to low impact exercise due to knee issues and pending operations (yes plural) on them, yet I manage 3 sessions of low impact at the gym, and mess about with a Wii on my rest days. I do it because I got to 11st 6lb and decided enough was enough - I used to be a damn athlete! So I made a point of making exercise part of a routine again.

I eat white rice, I use white flour, I cook in olive oil, I eat normal pasta, I love potatoes - yet I am losing weight. Everything in moderation, portion control, and understanding that the odd treat or perhaps maintenance on a weekend is alright.

You are absolutely right - it DOES take a little effort to get the scales to come down and the inches to come off.

What it really comes down to, though (and this is true for ANYONE) is DO YOU WANT THIS? If you really do, then go get your goal.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and haven't really done any serious exercise or healthy eating in over a decade and i have turned the tables and started on the right paty but age just slows down the avg doesn't mean you are the same as someone else

My father is 65 and he has type 2 diabetes and is not far off ideal weight, the issue for him is he had to take blood pressure medicine because of a quadruple heart bypass (rare malfunction) but that reduces his heart rate which in turn means he has to work harder to get the same ideal burn rate as someone not on medication. anyway it's certainly doable you just have to want to and do what it takes even if that means more shorter stints instead of some longer more intense ones, it all adds up.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and have pcos(which makes weight loss even harder). Let me tell you, it IS possible. I am down 112lbs from my highest weight. Don't lose hope!!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    AGE is absolutely no barrier to getting fit and healthy. Physical abilities that come as we age are. BUT AGE IS NOT :noway:

I am 56 yrs old I was starting to allow myself to think 'Oh that's it, I'm getting older, won't ever look good again' and I stopped moving and eat unhealthily and the weight piled on.

One day, last October my daughter said to me 'You know Mum, you seem to be thinking you're old lately - hell you've got 28 years on your Mother and she walks everywhere and is as fit as a fiddle at 82 - get your head right.'

I did just that. Joined MFP and started eating less and healthier. I then began to move more and in January I started heavy lifting, doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. I am already at my target clothes size despite being 12lbs from my goal scale number. My body has totally changed much for the better. My aching knees and hips are no longer. I am far more agile, strong and more able to do daily chores etc.

ANYBODY who wants this bad enough can just take it. Its hard work and commitment for everyone.

DO NOT LET AGE BE A BARRIER :drinker:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how hard weight loss has become since I hit my 40s. I remember people telling me when I was younger "wait till you're 40" They were right. I feel like in order to lose weight nowadays, I can't eat ANYTHING and I have to work out like a maniac. It's so depressing. I don't want to live like that for the rest of my life but I sure don't want to be a fatty either!

Anyone else out there experiencing this sucky realization? Any advice?

Barring a medical condition, it is perfectly possible to lose weight once you hit 40.

You might have to work harder for the loss than you did in your 20s, but it is definitely achieveable.
  • skidoo1122
    Options
    You have done a fabulous job!! 40 does stink but somehow I hit 40 and said no way will I look like this at 41 so I have been on MFP for 5 weeks and down 22 pounds. I stay within my calorie goal, exercise almost daily and I have never ate back exercise calories. I have till November to get more weight off. I think you are doing great!!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started this journey(and stuck with it) a few months before my 40th birthday. My goal was 40 lbs. off in 4 months. I reached it and had about 45-50 lbs. off by then! I kept going and after 2 years and almost 42 years old, I can say it has been a wonderful journey! I have 84 lbs. off and went from a size 22W to a size10/12. I feel better now and have more energy than I did in my 20's, or 30's. The 40's are where it's at!! :) It just take dedication.
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I was away from the computer last night and just read all the wonderful, kind, supportive and informative responses this morning! THANK YOU so much for writing! I feel renewed and ready to conquer the world!

Love you guys!!!:flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Is 44, eats 1950+ calories a day, and does not workout like a maniac. :bigsmile:

I saw the Road Map link posted on the first page, and will chime in with support for that - best move I've made, and the best success I've had with weight/fat loss and getting closer to the body I was hoping for has been since reading the Road Map thread (over and over and over, until it sank in! :tongue: ) and eating according to the calorie an macro guidelines there.

Yes, it is a little harder as we get older, but not as hard as we make it, or as what we're so often told - that to lose the fat we have to eat very little and workout for hours and hours every day. :noway: Not true!

Just in case anyone missed the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options

There's a huge different metabolically, hormonally, etc. between 37 and 40, trust those of us who've been there. That said, there's plenty of proof here that weight loss can be achieved.