Wow just wow.

Options

Replies

• SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been on horse forums for years. I thought there was nothing more snarky than a bunch of horse people competing with one another online. HA!
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Left for a few months & it seems like a lot of RUDE people have joined since then. If you have nothing nice to say, why even reply? If a recipe I post doesn't appeal to you, then don't make it. You don't have to be freaking rude & shoot it down before even trying it. Do other people experience this on here too? Makes you no even wanna contribute ideas & makes you just wanna keep to yourself or not come on here at all.

totally agree with this. I joined MFP when a friend told me they had the best forums, and great people/support. Looks like a lot of people (not everyone. there are some really great, helpful people here too) only post to insult people and belittle them. So what if someone asks if a diet pill works? If you haven't tried it, don't answer, or just tell them you doubt it. No reason to belittle them for asking a question.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I always have a knee-jerk reaction to people posting recipes with titles of "Healthy Brownies" or whatnot
    and then proceed to post a recipe for normal brownies with something silly added (like 2 tbsp of spinach to a batch of brownies)
    or any recipe with Nutella. It's just a reflex.

Speaking of brownies though...has anyone had brownies with bacon in them? ...Hmm...
  • DMV_Spicegirl
    Options
    Please dont let internet bullies sway you, I have a habit of battling bullies online but I stopped. The problem is not mine to solve these idiots need a hug or something. So carryon and step over the trash.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    xkcdwrongoninternet.jpg

:laugh:
  • simplywriting
    Options
    Please dont let internet bullies sway you, I have a habit of battling bullies online but I stopped. The problem is not mine to solve these idiots need a hug or something. So carryon and step over the trash.

^^Perfect advice.

And to clear up some confusion, I realize that what the OP is talking about is comments on a recipe, but in addition to that (Oh yes I've seen it) I have seen people on here come and ask a question that is NOT unhealthy or NOT some controversial thing and still get verbally beaten up in answers. It's just crazy. Seriously, if you're tired of answering the same questions over and over again, just don't answer. Move on. There is absolutely no reason to be rude. At all.

I love a good snarky person, but there is a difference between snark and many of the replies I've read on here.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the purpose of a post like this. What are you trying to accomplish? If you think people are rude on a particular thread, you can call them out on it there, report to the mods, ignore them, or counteract their rudeness with your kindness.

All you're doing now (IMHO) is complaining and that's just adding noise to the site.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree. If someone has a strong opinion about something, they can still say it in a NICE way, not like they are rude, know it alls. I think they are craving attention and it's usually the same cowardly crowd that does it. Grow up people, this is a site for support, not bullying. Yeah, its the internet and people in 'real life' are rude too, but why add to it? They are their own special kind of snowflake indeed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    This type of thread is considered Attacking/insulting other members. It does nothing to solve the perceived rudeness you are talking about. All it does is cause strife and arguments in the forums. To me, this is far worse than any disagreement in a thread.

If you see actual rudeness (like name-calling) click the Report button. Otherwise, keep this stuff off the forums. This is super divisive.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i think some people on here are mean for the sake of being mean but i have also noticed a lot of stupid posts which after awhile gets on your nerves. things that are common sense or have been answered a million times before.
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the purpose of a post like this. What are you trying to accomplish? If you think people are rude on a particular thread, you can call them out on it there, report to the mods, ignore them, or counteract their rudeness with your kindness.

All you're doing now (IMHO) is complaining and that's just adding noise to the site.

my guess is that the purpose is to see if there are still a lot of decent people posting that agree about all the snarkiness, rudeness, etc. Just my guess. Seems to me that calling the rude people out on a particular thread, just causes a never ending arguing thread. I know i have stopped reading several, because after getting a few pages into it, it just turns into nothing but arguing. I agree about ignoring, and killing them with kindness though. that's usually a good idea. :-)
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and good fitness are hard to achieve. Many people on here post about fad diets, unhealthy calorie goals, looking for quick fixes etc because what we are trying to achieve takes a lot a work and time. People who have made the journey will post things to the OP telling them when something is incorrect, unsafe, or non-sustainable but they don't want to hear it and say that they feel attacked. It's then that I'd usually go for the tough love. That's where you get the "mean people" coming out. People who want to help, but the others don't want to hear it. It's frustrating so I usually walk out at that point. Then it becomes a woe is me thread with no purpose that sometimes turns into a back and forth attacking of petty people. But I assure you, anyone worth listening to has backed out by that point.

With that said, this is the internet and these people are strangers..who cares if their mean?
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's a shame but there are a lot of keyboard heroes out there that are fine with being rude to people. I often wonder if the manners might return if they had to talk to the person face to face.

I have seen plenty of threads that annoy me but I just don't bother posting in it.

If you don't like the thread, post or recipe, leave it!
  • wildehare
    wildehare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to ignore rude people's posts. They are just looking for attention. Or, do what my old boss use to do. Everyone in the connversation just reply to the rude post with "Have a nice day". They will get tired of that being the only response and move on to try and rile someone else.....
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if the manners might return if they had to talk to the person face to face.

This goes both ways. I often wonder how many people would start shouting in the middle of a crowded store about how rude people are.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    I know this statement is going to probably heat up some of you- however, I had had a few rude comments from a lot of uppity fit people. Nothing wrong with being fit.. but I cannot STAND the arrogant ones that talk to you like you're inferior. Mind you, I do lose weight the healthy way, eating less, moving more. But, I make one little comment they don't agree with (something about my gym, sleeping patterns, etc.), YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT egotistical rebuttals, etc.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are no rude people on this site... its the way people perceive them. I have been here since 2010 (different account) and I have never seen anything extremely rude on here. Sometimes you just need to pull up the big girl panties and deal with it. Its the internet and just like in real life "rude" people are everywhere.

Telling people to put on big girl panties is actually taught in etiquette classes as a sure sign of politeness. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I know this statement is going to probably heat up some of you- however, I had had a few rude comments from a lot of uppity fit people. Nothing wrong with being fit.. but I cannot STAND the arrogant ones that talk to you like you're inferior. Mind you, I do lose weight the healthy way, eating less, moving more. But, I make one little comment they don't agree with (something about my gym, sleeping patterns, etc.), YOU'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT egotistical rebuttals, etc.

Oh. Yeah. Why listen to those FIT people about how to get fit.? Who would do that?

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This type of thread is considered Attacking/insulting other members. It does nothing to solve the perceived rudeness you are talking about. All it does is cause strife and arguments in the forums. To me, this is far worse than any disagreement in a thread.

If you see actual rudeness (like name-calling) click the Report button. Otherwise, keep this stuff off the forums. This is super divisive.

^^^THIS ALL DAY LONG ^^^^

This whole topic has been written to be rude about certain other members of the MFP community. wth is the difference????? in your opinion.

I also have never seen anybody being rude directly to any other member. Only seen open and free comments of opinions on the subject not the poster. So someone doesn't agree with you and maybe communicates in a different way to that which you do........get over it and buy some big girl panties.

:flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if the manners might return if they had to talk to the person face to face.

This goes both ways. I often wonder how many people would start shouting in the middle of a crowded store about how rude people are.

I've been so tempted. Though that's why I like to go to the grocery store late at night.