PLS POST SUCCESS WITH BARIATRIC SURGERY

Options

Replies

• a_claire
    a_claire Posts: 61
    Options
    I've never understood how people that have to lose 10% of their weight before surgery still go through with it. If you're a 250 pound person, and manage to lose 25 pounds by yourself, why do the surgery? Sure, losing it the old fashioned way is harder...but nothing good comes easy.

Just my opinion...
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had VSG on 11/5/12 it was the best thing I ever did and it saved my life!! Friend me if you like!
  • Juliew518
    Juliew518 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've never heard of a doctor who'd do an RNY on someone who only wants to lose 25 lbs.
    I've never understood how people that have to lose 10% of their weight before surgery still go through with it. If you're a 250 pound person, and manage to lose 25 pounds by yourself, why do the surgery? Sure, losing it the old fashioned way is harder...but nothing good comes easy.

Just my opinion...
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a doctor who'd do an RNY on someone who only wants to lose 25 lbs.

Just my opinion...

I may be wrong, but I think they meant if you can buckle down and lose 25 - 50 some pounds on your own before the surgery, why not just continue; not that they only had 25 to 50 lose.
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    Again, in response to your lack of research. Insurance won't cover weight loss surgery unless there are underlying medical conditions that it will help, i.e., diabetes, hypertension, etc. It's not glamorous. And you just don't wake up and say, "oh, I'm fat. I'm going to have surgery." After you personally make the decision you go through MONTHS of preparation for it -- you have to take classes in nutrition, you undergo psychiatric evaluation, and you have to, yes, go on a diet and maintain so the doctors know you can. Research before you judge. Please.
    Unfortunately your reasoning, while sound on many levels, is not entirely correct. Bypass surgery does change your body metabolically which is why the weight loss is so fast. Your doctor bypasses a portion of your intestines that digests food and absorbs calories which in turn causes your metabolism to rise. Basically, after a bypass, the 100 calories that a normal person eats registers at maybe 60 or 75 due to the actual bypass of the intestines. In addition, your body reacts as if it has been injured and your metabolism rises even more. This is why people lose so quickly with a bypass. Plus the fact that they can't eat but maybe 1/2 to 1/4 of what they ate before. However, eventually, your body adjusts to this. Also, there is a substance called ghrelin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin). After your surgery, your body no longer produces this, and studies have shown that this is a big factor in the curing of diabetes. Check out the research of D. Elahi and others before you talk about bariatric surgery being a cop out -- it saves lives. Because of RNY's success at treating diabetes (instanteously before weight is lost) have made researchers think about doing this surgery on normal weight people with out of control diabetes. And don't spout off that it cures diabetes immediately because people can't eat, blah, blah, blah. Check out the research. As any diabetic will tell you, after something traumatic such as surgery, your sugars almost always skyrocket and then level out. When people have this surgery, their diabetes is cured almost immediately with no evening out, and often, even if they gain weight again -- the diabetes does not return. This surgery is not a cop out. The fact that you keep saying that you wouldn't necessarily call it a cop out indicates you do think that. However, you are basing your "opinon" on an assumption without knowing all the facts. Yes, of course, people can lose weight strictly through diet and exercise, and most people can. But the fact is that there are also many people who due to diabetes and other metabolic disorders brought on through years of not eating right, genetics, or whatever can't lose the weight without the surgery. It is very very difficult for diabetes to "diet" because they have to maintain their blood sugars at even levels. I am not saying it can't be done, but in many instances having the surgery brings them to a safer point so that they can eat healthier and exercise -- which they may not have been able to do before. It's a very complex issue.

Don't insult the people who truly need the surgery due to your own prejudices.

I would like to amend my previous statement. I wouldn't necessarily call it a cop out but I will say that it is never necessary when the reasoning behind the surgery is solely done as a mode of weight loss. It is not the surgery that causes you to lose weight, it is the fact that it forces you to eat in a caloric deficit. Nobody is a special snowflake. If you have the motivation to lose weight it is possible for everyone by simply choosing to eat less and move more. The surgery can force you to eat less or you can get a healthy relationship with food and simply decide enough is enough, you've had it and achieve the exact same thing by eating at a deficit of your own accord. People may say they have tried everything but the fact is they haven't. Why not buy a cheap food scale and actually measure what you are eating and make sure that is less than your TDEE. Then try incorporating more exercise into your day. I can say with 100% surety that if you eat below your TDEE you will lose weight. It may not be as fast as you hoped but it will happen. The upside to this is you are then forced to gain a healthy relationship with food, learn moderation, and gain some restraint when it comes to food. Thus you get to the root cause of why you eat more than you body needs. To those of you who say the surgery saved your life, I am so glad that you were indeed saved, but the surgery didn't do it, the calorie deficit did. Best of luck.
    You should have read the first line when i said that it is done solely as weight loss. That in fact means no medical reasoning. And I was not insulting anyone. I actually congratulated them. Reading is fundamental.
    Again I wasn't Judging. Just giving them an alternative look. But go ahead and tell me what I meant by what I said. You obviously know better that me what is running around in my head. Best of luck to you OP in whatever you choose to do. I'll be there to root you on and congratuate you no matter how you achieve weight loss.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't even know why I am bothering to reply to this, since I see all of the "easy button" and "anecdotal evidence of failure" people have already visited, but I am a lap band patient (14 months out), and I am a success story. I have lost nearly 70 pounds since my surgery (almost twice what was projected for me to lose) and over 100 pounds altogether so far. I work my *kitten* off. Literally. It is not a solution. It is a tool that you MUST LEARN how to use, or yes, there is a possibility of failure. The work must still come from within you.

The way I look at it is this: some people need training wheels. Others do not. If you do not, awesome for you. I do, and I am not ashamed of that. And I will use my training wheels as they are meant to be used, as a learning tool, not as a crutch, to get me to where I want to be.

Good luck to you, OP, I will be keeping you in my thoughts, you are a very brave and wonderful person, and you deserve the very best! :flowerforyou:
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone I will be getting the sleeve done in two weeks and was wondering if you could post your success with weight loss surgery. Thanks!

there is a sleevers group here on MFP.there are lots of members with great stories and advice....i had mine done in Nov 2 of 2012...I am down 95 lbs since the middle of September...but alot of ppl think that getting the surgery is the answer but its just a tool to aide in the weight loss journey...you still have to eat right and exercise or the results wont be what is recommended...
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    have u tired loosing weight naturally i fit all the requirements for getting gastric band on the nhs when i started but in my eyes surgery is harder .. i have a person friend who regrets it and wishes she had of tried loosing weight naturally first .. good luck with whatever you decide thou x
  • StaceyH1968
    Options
    I had the sleeve done 06/27/2011 and have lost 126 lbs. I excersize 3 -4 days a week and make a conscious effort to eat healthy. The surgery will help you to lose the weight in the beginning because you eat such a small amount, but it is up to you to continue to make the right choices of eating healthy and excersizing.

You may want to go to obesityhelp.com to chat with others who have had or are looking at surgery options for weight loss.
  • lisa77marie
    lisa77marie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm just adding too, for those of you who think this is the "easy" way out, it's NOT. You have to be extra diligent with your food consumption and exercise. In addition, for those of you who don't "understand why if you'd already lost 10% of your body weight, you wouldn't finish on your own without surgery" it's easier said than done. I've lost 10% of my weight approximately 10 times for the last 20 years, I just gain it back. Being obese should be described as an illness. Until you've struggle with your weight and felt as hopeless as those of us who decided on surgery, as a last resort, I say, keep your negativity to yourself. If you don't like weight loss surgery, please don't reply to this post. Nobody reading this wants to hear "your opinion."
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's ALL hard, even if you just take a pill to lose weight. Ther's still side effects. Good luck with the surgery, and healing. I hope it goes very well for you.

I injured my heal last week working out, and now just as it is healing, I hurt my back somehow. They will both heal. and I will continue on my journey. Good luck, and prayers be with you.
  • TracyMcCarroll
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass RNY January 26, 2012 and have lost 110 lbs. The day of my surgery I weight 268 and today I'm at 158 and have never been happier. Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out, and it's still a lot of work, but you will have a tool to help you be successful. I have 2 friends who had the sleeve and they both have lost in excess of 100 each.

Good luck! I wish you much success and happiness with your new body! :happy:
  • slim4life9112013
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs in 35 weeks with Slim4life program now Slimgenics; while co-worker had gastric bypass; she lost very little weight and gained all back & then some. It's like many others like Al Roper news broadcaster etc. If you don't change what caused the weight gain it will come back!

We had gone to class & we changed our mind because of all the risks, I know if being 57 yrs. of age with underactive thyroid; sleep apnea over 40 and multiple meds that caused weight gain that there is NO excuse not to however I have to change the reason; after losing weight went back to skipping multiple meals; ate once a day; starvation mode where everything you eat turns into fat. So this time I'm fixing & losing from with in; and doing so with out smoking...

Wishing you the best of luck in your choice and remember you can change your mind if you choose to.
  • tleight817
    tleight817 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 10 years ago. I considered it a success and lost 175 pounds. I believe it saved my life at the time. Unfortunately (after 2 pregnancies and a bout with depression the last 2 years) I have gained back 70 of those pounds as the mechanisms stopped working (the esophagus was stretched which actually allows me to eat more than I would pre-surgery). I did have some post-op complications with Pancreatitis a few months after surgery and I do struggle with vitamin deficiencies (Iron, B-12, and Vitamin D) and have to stay on top of En-fusions and shots, etc...but I still would not change anything. i consider these issues minor in what I would have dealt with if I had not had the surgery. Best of luck to you and I do not feel it is a cop out. Some of us were born Obese and will struggle with it forever. It's still a diet and commitment and it won't work forever. It's just a tool to regain some normalcy after being morbidly obese for so long and struggling with being close to 400 pounds. It will greatly improve the quality of your life and you can very well go on to lead a healthy life with minimal complications. I have lost weight (and regained) weight since I was 8 years old and most recently lost 60 pounds after committing to exercising daily for at least 2 hours per day and eating right and once I went back to work full time and struggled with time management and couldn't keep up with that amount of exercise, I gained it back. I will re-lose it the same way, I have no doubt, it just won't be as easy or fast as when I had the surgery and that's okay. Food addiction is mental and until you fight your demons with yourself and food, you will not be successful with any diet or surgery
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking into that group. Good luck with your surgery!

I havent had it done but I had been approved for RNY. Did all the classes and counseling. Got the date set an everything. Highest weight was 272. Did the pre-surgery diet and lost 20 pounds. I told myself if I could do that there is no reason I couldnt keep doing that. I didnt.... I cancelled the surgery because I knew I could do it on my own. I was young, 30, and no co-morbidities. I was worried about the life long changes I was doing to my body when I just proved I could. A few years later I buckled down and lost 90 pounds. I just ate 1400 calories a day and go my butt up and moving. I quit focusing on weight because of stress (divorce, remarriage) and gained back 70. I've lost most of it again and this time I wont gain it back. I gained it back not from emotional eating, just eating like my husband. I knew better!!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery. Ignore the negative people. I have no personal experience with weight loss surgery, but I am sure you have educated yourself on the topic before making such a big decision. I also don't think it's the "easy" way. It's a major surgery with risks and side effects. I hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly. :flowerforyou:
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    I'm just adding too, for those of you who think this is the "easy" way out, it's NOT. You have to be extra diligent with your food consumption and exercise. In addition, for those of you who don't "understand why if you'd already lost 10% of your body weight, you wouldn't finish on your own without surgery" it's easier said than done. I've lost 10% of my weight approximately 10 times for the last 20 years, I just gain it back. Being obese should be described as an illness. Until you've struggle with your weight and felt as hopeless as those of us who decided on surgery, as a last resort, I say, keep your negativity to yourself. If you don't like weight loss surgery, please don't reply to this post. Nobody reading this wants to hear "your opinion."
    Is it not your "opinion" that nobody wants to hear the ones talking about alternatives? We have the same right as you. I on the other hand absolutely respect your opinion. It in one valid argument, but not the only one. I see illness as something that we as humans have no control over. Like the flu. You can take all the necessary precautions and still get the flu. But the fact that we are in a society that has meals at restraunts exceeding 2000 calories just shows why obesity is so rampid. We as a human race are doing it to ourselves. We have the choice to eat more than we need or not to. So I say nay to it being an illness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!