Can I log this as water?

Options

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't fall from the sky?

I wish! I would like down on the ground with my mouth open!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Even if you put pure H2O into your mouth, it won't stay that way for long. Like you said, it is a universal solvent.

Your body can get the necessary water out of solution.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Bah Dam Bah

For real, though, I'm with ChristinaL...unless you have a separate digestive tract for liquid than for food, or you never drink within hours of eating, this whole discussion seems pretty pointless.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Even if you put pure H2O into your mouth, it won't stay that way for long. Like you said, it is a universal solvent.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Bah Dam Bah

For real, though, I'm with ChristinaL...unless you have a separate digestive tract for liquid than for food, or you never drink within hours of eating, this whole discussion seems pretty pointless.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Why did I log onto the forums today.........

Because you love us. You really, really love us. Even if we have to make you.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with your perspective.
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This. Or, what if I pour a packet of crystal light in my mouth and then chug 20 ounces of water. Is it still water? If so then why does it matter if it mixes in the bottle/cup, in my mouth, or in my GI system?
    [/quote]

^^^ BAAHHAHHAAAA good point made my h2o almost come out my nose haha
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    So....adding something to water makes it not water?

If I sprinkle seasoning on my chicken breast....is it still chicken breast? If no, what is it?

I was never very good in science class. Please answer me post haste.

Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.

What is this? A basic chemistry lesson?

Anytime you drink even pure H2O (which does exist, by the way) it will mix with something. Whether that something is food sitting in your stomach or intestines or a packet of crystal light, it doesn't matter.

Chemistry lesson? No. I am, however a water chemist. I do this for a living. Pure water must me be mechanically filtered through a deminerlizer and has a conductivity of 11 µS/cm or less. So while it does exist, it is not naturally occurring.

Water will dissolve anything in it path. You can dump a bunch of cyanide in water too. Would you still drink it and call it water? The entire point is one of nomenclature. You can call Crystal Light water if you want, but it is still aspartame, food coloring and preservatives that you wouldn't even pour on a plant. Do you really want that in your body?
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So let me ask it this way. If I took my multi-vitamin crushed it up, dissolved it in a glass of water and drank it could I count that glass as water? Now say I took my multi-vitamin ate it and washed it down with a glass of water, could I count that glass as water? The first one definitly breaks the rules mentioned above, but how are they different? I could say the same for a package of crystal light, if I took a package of crystal light and ate it without adding it to any water, then followed this up with a glass of water would that water count.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think building a snowman using my pink Crystal Light water would be super pretty.

Ha ha! I so want to try that now :)
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    So....adding something to water makes it not water?

If I sprinkle seasoning on my chicken breast....is it still chicken breast? If no, what is it?

I was never very good in science class. Please answer me post haste.

Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.

What is this? A basic chemistry lesson?

Anytime you drink even pure H2O (which does exist, by the way) it will mix with something. Whether that something is food sitting in your stomach or intestines or a packet of crystal light, it doesn't matter.

Chemistry lesson? No. I am, however a water chemist. I do this for a living. Pure water must me be mechanically filtered through a deminerlizer and has a conductivity of 11 µS/cm or less. So while it does exist, it is not naturally occurring.

Water will dissolve anything in it path. You can dump a bunch of cyanide in water too. Would you still drink it and call it water? The entire point is one of nomenclature. You can call Crystal Light water if you want, but it is still aspartame, food coloring and preservatives that you wouldn't even pour on a plant. Do you really want that in your body?

I've seen people in offices 'water' plants with everything from mixed cocktails to milkshakes and, interestingly enough, the plants thrived.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Many people have asked if they can log something like tea or coffee as water. The answers always sparked debate. I have devised this quick and dirty guide to help. Answer these questions, and you will never have to ask this question again.

1. Would you use it to water a plant or your lawn?
    2. Would you put it in your dog's bowl or hamster's bottle?
    3. Would you use it to fill a fish tank?
    4. Does it fall from the sky when it's raining?
    5. Can find large bodies of it to surf, fish, or swim in it?
    6. Would you use it in a recipe instead of water?
    7. Would you rinse your car or dishes with it?
    8. Would you bathe, wash your face, or shampoo your hair in it?
    9. Would you use it to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth?
    10. Can you build a snowman out of it or ski on it when it is in a frozen, crystallized form?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, the liquid is probably not water. Don't log it as water. If you have added something to the water like Crystal Light or Mio, go back and ask yourself these questions about the "water" in its current, altered state. Again, if you answer any of these questions as "no" then it's not water.
    So I guess sea water is okay to drink and log as water. Yes to those.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sea water falls from the sky? SWEET!

Please turn your hamster in to the ASPCA. And your poor dead plants :((
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I don't quite see it as black/white as you do. For example, no I wouldn't fill up my fish tank with herbal tea (no caffeine), but I certainly would count it as water. But I wouldn't count Crystal Light or Mio or any of those things as water because they're filled with chemicals!

So many chemicals!
    water-molecules-after.png
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Water will dissolve anything in it path.

No! Only water soluble substances!
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    Many people have asked if they can log something like tea or coffee as water. The answers always sparked debate. I have devised this quick and dirty guide to help. Answer these questions, and you will never have to ask this question again.

1. Would you use it to water a plant or your lawn?
    2. Would you put it in your dog's bowl or hamster's bottle?
    3. Would you use it to fill a fish tank?
    4. Does it fall from the sky when it's raining?
    5. Can find large bodies of it to surf, fish, or swim in it?
    6. Would you use it in a recipe instead of water?
    7. Would you rinse your car or dishes with it?
    8. Would you bathe, wash your face, or shampoo your hair in it?
    9. Would you use it to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth?
    10. Can you build a snowman out of it or ski on it when it is in a frozen, crystallized form?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, the liquid is probably not water. Don't log it as water. If you have added something to the water like Crystal Light or Mio, go back and ask yourself these questions about the "water" in its current, altered state. Again, if you answer any of these questions as "no" then it's not water.
    So I guess sea water is okay to drink and log as water. Yes to those.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sea water falls from the sky? SWEET!

Please turn your hamster in to the ASPCA. And your poor dead plants :((

Gale force winds. Enough said.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Let's simplify this : If it contains more than H2O - It doesn't go! (H2O+ anything is no longer water!

I tell people in my weight loss challenges "If it is not CLEAR it doesn't go Here" (pointing to the water section on the log sheet.) Which you hear "I can get flavored water that is clear" and I say "If it is flavored and fruity it wont help your BOOTY".
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Good thread. According to this logic I haven't had a drink of water in years. How am I still alive?!?!?
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    Water will dissolve anything in it path.

No! Only water soluble substances!

You are correct. I mistyped that.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m87t0nP0EZ1qlbv3u.gif
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.

I am writing my reply while drinking pure crystal clear, filtered spring water and eating a pack of gummy bears...isn't that the same as a soda when it's in my tum tum?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hey alcohol is also a pure solvent! Mwhahahah vodka hear I come.