Sweetie, Honey, Sugarplum, SNOOKUMS???

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It is typically Bermudian to use endearments with complete strangers.

At work I'm frequently called darling, babe, doll, angel, sweetheart, sugar, honey and toots, to name a few. Most of the people using them, and it's women as well as men, don't even realise they're using the term.

Evidenced by an American coworker who offended more than one customer by correcting them, rather rudely, when they called her by whatever they'd used.

About the only thing I really dislike being called is 'wifey' which my husband doesn't use. He prefers things like dragon.

I long ago figured that it doesn't matter what someone calls you, what matters is the intent behind it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    The hubby calls me Sweetie. I like it except for when I am actively trying to be sexy. Something about sweetie just doesn't seem sexy. If I send naughty pics to his cell phone the last thing I want is a "those are nice pics, sweetie".
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Like everything, it depends on the context and tone. I'm a horrible b!tch sometimes and will use 'dear', 'honey' or 'sweetie' with nasty condescension dripping off every syllable, BUT I will also use those endearments with genuine affection. My ex (who was a girl) and I would sometimes get into the sappy 'honeybee', 'pumpkin', 'sweetling', etc, but with my boyfriend we stick to babe/baby, love(r), hon, things like that. I've called close friends 'honey' or 'sweetie' before, especially when my Mother Hen-ing starts.

My best friend's fiancee calls him "lovecake", which I snort at every time I hear it.

I think the key to enjoying pet names is realizing they're all very much tongue-in-cheek, and not derogatory unless used with intense sarcasm.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I love to say 'babe' or 'baby', but my luck that every single woman I dated absolutely hated either one of these. The consider it demeaning somehow and Im like, but I am calling you baby out of love.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    If I am eating out, and a waitress calls me Honey, Sweetie, or any other such name, she has just discounted her tip by half! I cannot stand when servers do that. As for at home, the occasional use of it is okay, but not as a replacement for someones name!

this makes perfect sense. i mean even if a waitress tends to my every need, makes sure i have everything, checks in with me and my wife, gets us refills regularly, and even provides witty banter - the mere utterance of a "honey" (it is one of the most hostile acts one can have towards another person) will cause me to give her no tip, and probably find her car and slash her tires.

it's the very least she deserves.

amirite?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It's become such a normal thing that I had to actually think if my husband and I had pet names for each other, we call each other love and darling without even thinking about it, I don't even class it as a pet name really, just how we talk to each other
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me 'Ole Lady' he thinks he funny because he's older than I am....what a goof lol :ohwell:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the guys...

What is the number 1 reason to choose to call your woman "baby?"
  • fervc6064
    fervc6064 Posts: 77
    Options
    I hate being called studmuffin.
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a true southern woman and I do say 'Sweetie and Honey'. I was raised that way.

I don't say it as a put down, but as an endearment.

:flowerforyou:

This is typical southern speak, so I do this too!! It's not meant as anything in particular. I also use sugar dumpling and sweetie pie!:flowerforyou:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If I am eating out, and a waitress calls me Honey, Sweetie, or any other such name, she has just discounted her tip by half! I cannot stand when servers do that. As for at home, the occasional use of it is okay, but not as a replacement for someones name!

this makes perfect sense. i mean even if a waitress tends to my every need, makes sure i have everything, checks in with me and my wife, gets us refills regularly, and even provides witty banter - the mere utterance of a "honey" (it is one of the most hostile acts one can have towards another person) will cause me to give her no tip, and probably find her car and slash her tires.

it's the very least she deserves.

amirite?

Exactly!

I live in the south and waitresses call me honey, sweetie and darlin' all the time. I can't even understand being offended by that.

My husband calls me baby, baby doll or lover. I call him babe, sweetie or honey. To be honest, we went through a real rocky period a year or so ago and that's one of the things I had noticed, we had stopped using pet names for each other. Once we worked through that tough time, we were back to using them.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have always been called honey, sweetie, hun, pumpkin, etc by family or friends, even as a kid. I never really thought anything of it. Every guy I have dated, and now my husband, always called me baby, babe, love, and so on. I thought this was completely normal and have always liked it and never taken offence.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people take such offense to it....maybe just the world of political correctness
    Names like babe, hun, darlin, & doll carry little weight when I'm saying them b/c I say them to everyone - male & female.

I have family that still call me doll baby b/c that was my late grandmother's nickname for me - all her grandkids had a different nickname.

While waitressing once I let a 'hun' slip and the customer did go out of their way to correct me. I apologized for offending him and said I didn't even realize I had said it b/c I say it to everyone. I had apparently called his wife hun too.
    He did leave a sh!tty tip even though I had done a great job otherwise and his wife snuck back to the table and left more ha ha she also apologized for the stick up her husband's *kitten* ;)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's ok from my boyfriend, in moderation. From a stranger no and 9 out of 10 times I will correct them. I'm mean I guess.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    From a stranger HATE it! Especially when it's when I'm getting my car fixed.

From a partner," Your highness" will suffice.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Do you like terms of endearment or do they annnoy you? I admit, I tend to use terms of endearment with my friends and loved ones. They just roll off my tongue. Or maybe the sugar coating is a sign of toxicity?? :huh:

I don't particularly care, if anyone chooses to or not (British & British Commonwealth of Nations exposed), for its almost a cultural norm.

I'd particularly liked how my parents would use terms of endearment as a measure of how okay or how angry one was with the other. If all was well - "My Love," "My Heart." If either of the 2 was severely angry about something - "(Name of parent - the first name only)" I still remember how my mother bawled her eyes out, when Dad did just that - for the very first time. I was 7 :laugh:
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :huh: Am I the only one here who hates it when pretty much *any* pet names are used for me? I know some of you have mentioned being southern -- so am I, but I never use honey, darlin, etc. Although, I know plenty of people around here who use those terms for pretty much everyone.

I mean, I don't go out of my way to correct people or leave waitresses bad tips because of it or anything...but I do find pet names very annoying :ohwell:

"Babe" and "baby" are especially annoying. "Love" is really the only one that doesn't get under my skin too badly.
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    I always get suspicious with the use of terms of endearment... maybe that person doesn't want to accidently call me by another's name. I call my wife by her first name, 'Mrs Braden' or 'my lovely bride'.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love pet names. I'm corny like that.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My husband and I call each other babe instead of our names 99% of the time. We were friends for years before becoming a couple and the first time he said it I thought "What the what??" but I love it now. Sometimes he calls me baby when he's being extra sweet and a wide variety of weird ones (sweetiecakes, snookums, etc.) to be silly.