Can I log this as water?

Options

Replies

• _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Many of you are confusing physical change with chemical change. Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a PHYSICAL change, adding Crystal Light to water is a CHEMICAL change. They are both two very different things, if you disagree that is fine, but you are WRONG. Should have paid attention to physical science class while you had the opportunity. Have a nice day.

Kay, normally I don't get involved in this debate, but this time I just gotta put in my two cents' worth. The capital letters that follow are simply a continuation of this poster's writing style......

No, YOU are wrong. Seriously, a CHEMICAL change? A chemical change alters the initial molecule. Period. That is the definition.
    Dictionary.com:
    "chemical change - noun
    Chemistry . a usually irreversible chemical reaction involving the rearrangement of the atoms of one or more substances and a change in their chemical properties or composition, resulting in the formation of at least one new substance: The formation of rust on iron is a chemical change. "

To help distinguish chemical and physical changes is to see whether or not the starting material in the change may be recovered using only physical processes. If you boil the water off of a salt solution, you'll obtain salt. The two molecules have not altered each other's bonds. Period.

Whether there is crystal light, phosphoric acid and caramel color, aspartame, or minerals in the water, it is still water. Yes, as the OP pointed out, the bond angles can change depending on the solutes, but this is due to hydrogen bonding - which is not true bonding, and is simply an attraction between the dipoles of the ends of various molecules. Hydrogen bonding is responsible for the surface tension of water; it is still water, not a water polymer. It remains water, two hydrogens and one oxygen. Perhaps chemistry degrees these days aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Or the bandwidth used for the 20-minute physical science course tht apparently I slept through.

The human body is an amazing thing, hence the reason we all haven't perished. It has the ability to pull water out of anything. Anything that goes into your mouth gets taken apart, molecule-by-molecule and atom-by-atom for the atoms to be used rebuilt into what the body needs. Yes, I stayed awake during all of my chemistry classes, and lo and behold, my nutrition classes as well.

For the record:
    20 years food chemist
    10 of that is chemical research into the analysis of trace comtaminants in food
    Husband has been a water chemist for 20 years as well
    chemistry degree with minor in nutrition
    Yes I stayed awake
    Perhaps you should review your text books

^^^ BAM! We just got scienced!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and whatever else you like. As long as you aren't dying of thirst, you should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Many of you are confusing physical change with chemical change. Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a PHYSICAL change, adding Crystal Light to water is a CHEMICAL change. They are both two very different things, if you disagree that is fine, but you are WRONG. Should have paid attention to physical science class while you had the opportunity. Have a nice day.

Kay, normally I don't get involved in this debate, but this time I just gotta put in my two cents' worth. The capital letters that follow are simply a continuation of this poster's writing style......

No, YOU are wrong. Seriously, a CHEMICAL change? A chemical change alters the initial molecule. Period. That is the definition.
    Dictionary.com:
    "chemical change - noun
    Chemistry . a usually irreversible chemical reaction involving the rearrangement of the atoms of one or more substances and a change in their chemical properties or composition, resulting in the formation of at least one new substance: The formation of rust on iron is a chemical change. "

To help distinguish chemical and physical changes is to see whether or not the starting material in the change may be recovered using only physical processes. If you boil the water off of a salt solution, you'll obtain salt. The two molecules have not altered each other's bonds. Period.

Whether there is crystal light, phosphoric acid and caramel color, aspartame, or minerals in the water, it is still water. Yes, as the OP pointed out, the bond angles can change depending on the solutes, but this is due to hydrogen bonding - which is not true bonding, and is simply an attraction between the dipoles of the ends of various molecules. Hydrogen bonding is responsible for the surface tension of water; it is still water, not a water polymer. It remains water, two hydrogens and one oxygen. Perhaps chemistry degrees these days aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Or the bandwidth used for the 20-minute physical science course tht apparently I slept through.

The human body is an amazing thing, hence the reason we all haven't perished. It has the ability to pull water out of anything. Anything that goes into your mouth gets taken apart, molecule-by-molecule and atom-by-atom for the atoms to be used rebuilt into what the body needs. Yes, I stayed awake during all of my chemistry classes, and lo and behold, my nutrition classes as well.

For the record:
    20 years food chemist
    Yes I stayed awake

I love when I get scienced. I hate that I agree with both sides of this seemingly inconsequential debate though. Basically, I'm just happy when I pee clear.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Dictionary.com:
    "chemical change - noun

For the record:
    20 years food chemist
    Yes I stayed awake

Nicely put! This was my, albeit less articulate, point. Not to insult the OP but I've only taken 12 hrs of University Chemistry and I know all this. I'm a physics major and I'm taking extra chemistry classes for fun so this seems like something a water chemist should know, right?
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    When you add something to water, it stops being water and starts being a water based solution. Water is the solvent, and whatever you put in it is the solute.

Not sure if srs...
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think building a snowman using my pink Crystal Light water would be super pretty.

Ha hahahahahahahaha!!! take a pic of that please!
  • Jewles1285
    Jewles1285 Posts: 119
    Options

Dictionary.com:
    "chemical change - noun

For the record:
    20 years food chemist
    Yes I stayed awake

Your quirkiness makes me laugh everyday! haha
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    beat me to it ....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sprinkling seasoning on a chicken breast is a physical change. Much like chopping it or shredding it. When dissolve something in water, that is a chemical change. Have you ever noticed that when you add laundry detergent to water that it feels slicker, wetter? That's because the detergent has cause the bond angle of the H2O to change from its naturally occurring 105 degrees.

Unless the water stops being H2O and the thing you added to it becomes a different chemical, it's not a chemical change.

There's no chemical reaction going on when you add salt/sugar/aspartame/whatever to water. Dissolving is not a chemical change.

edit: Ignore this post I missed the fact that the thread went beyond 1 page!
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    both my weight loss surgeon and nutritionist expound on the necessity to log everything, and My Fitness Plan is the one they both recommend. On that note, I saw them today and YES, they said that using the crystal lite and/or wyler packets in water does count as "water", especially for those of us that have a hard time getting in all fluids that we are supposed to drink, also herbal teas are considered as part of the water calculation
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up on this !
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mouthwash is water?
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    @Kristonite - Me Too! I love science! I want to go back to school and become a middle school science teacher. Even if the kids at that age are buttheads I still want to do it!

@Jewels - Thanks! I'm so glad when people enjoy and appreciate my odd sense of humor! ^_^
  • Penny1328
    Penny1328 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is the most ridiculous post I've read here so far. C'mon people. Spend time on something more beneficial to your weight loss! SMH!!!!
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Much as this made me smile, and as scientifically, literally, true as it may be, there must be a consideration in regards to the PURPOSE of logging water, which is to monitor hydration.

After all, some things, by this strict definition, are not water, but actually hydrate even BETTER than water (ie things with electrolytes).

So I think the real question is whether or not it hydrates. Things like herbal tea (caffeine-free) and juice still hydrate. Personally, I wouldn't count juice as water because it has sugars and other things that I'd want to log as a "food" rather than pure hydration. But then again, I only drink juice every once in a great while, so it's not a huge issue for me. But I do drink herbal tea and Vitalyte and Emergen-C, and I count those as "water", because they HYDRATE, and *don't DEhydrate*.
  • TheBeardedGentleman
    Options
    This is the most ridiculous post I've read here so far. C'mon people. Spend time on something more beneficial to your weight loss! SMH!!!!

I was just about to say that. She was just giving her expertise and opinion. If you are losing weight and getting healthier then why should it really matter.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Me thinks this is another thread with no point designed to spark an argument that will go on for 20 pages until the moderators lock it before it can roll over into another thread......

Whew.....I need some pure, undiluted H2O that I can log into my food diary which no one really cares if I log it or not, with or without CL, Mio, vodka and cranberry juice or anything else that makes it go down that much better. :)

It's gotta be a Monday........:huh: :yawn: :ohwell:
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    SMH! When will this debate end? For 30 years I never drank any straight H2O unless a dribble happened to go down my throat when I brushed my teeth. Somehow, miraculously, I have survived and am quite healthy actually.

You need to stay hydrated. Your body doesn't give a rat's *kitten* whether you drink purified spring water, lap it out of apuddle, make tea, drink milk, eat fruit or veggies to get it.

If your urine is lightly yellow then you get enough liquids. The whole 8 glasses thing is a complete myth and obsessing about what is water and what isn't is ridiculous.

Not quite. Your body needs water to filtrate the by products/toxins from your body. If you never drink water your body can not do this efficiently. Yes you will get some water from fruit/vege etc but this is not sufficient on its own.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Nicely put! This was my, albeit less articulate, point. Not to insult the OP but I've only taken 12 hrs of University Chemistry and I know all this. I'm a physics major and I'm taking extra chemistry classes for fun so this seems like something a water chemist should know, right?

So funny that we agree about a lot of things! I did applied math...which is basically physics with extra computer science.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    SMH! When will this debate end? For 30 years I never drank any straight H2O unless a dribble happened to go down my throat when I brushed my teeth. Somehow, miraculously, I have survived and am quite healthy actually.

You need to stay hydrated. Your body doesn't give a rat's *kitten* whether you drink purified spring water, lap it out of apuddle, make tea, drink milk, eat fruit or veggies to get it.

If your urine is lightly yellow then you get enough liquids. The whole 8 glasses thing is a complete myth and obsessing about what is water and what isn't is ridiculous.

Not quite. Your body needs water to filtrate the by products/toxins from your body. If you never drink water your body can not do this efficiently. Yes you will get some water from fruit/vege etc but this is not sufficient on its own.

You know that soda, milk, and coffee contain water yes?