is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• kristajeanb
    Options
    The faster the better? That's not a good mindset to have for losing weight. And eating 500 calories a day is just dumb and dangerous, don't do it!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    That's a horrible idea. Eat at a minimum 1200 and that's even hard for me to say. I'm not trying to be a message board meannie, I promise, but I hope enough ppl's comments can convince you to eat more than 500 cals.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    You will lose weight but it will be muscle. You will also ruin your metabolism. Aim for at least 1200 calories per day. Eat every 2-4 hours. Be sure to consume healthy calories. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Surefire way to failure.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Only if you just had bariatric surgery.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It is likely you won't be able to sustain this for very long so any weight you lose will likely return when your body's desperation for food leads to binges.

Also your body will be turning to your muscles to break down for energy. Bear in mind your vital organs are also muscles. This is potentially dangerous. Are you aiming for a weakened heart and decrease in brain size?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    500 cals a day... i did it for a couple months at one point. exercised excessively. Dropped weight like CRAZY. then i started to eat a little more, and a little more, and a little more, and then boom! that 30 lbs i had lost came back with a vengence and brought some friends with. part of me thinks that the OP is a troll. diet pills and 500 cal diet in the same post? seems a little sketchy.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I was going to be a smart$ss. Then I saw the pic of your little one.

500 calories a day isn't healthy, not even short term. You need to be around for your little one. NOTHING is as important as that, even losing weight.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see everyone jump on this. That is such as bad idea! You have to accept up front that there is no miracle cure and the loss has to be steady and planned. Otherwise you are just setting your self up to put it all back on later; and cause major health concerns in the process. A lifestyle change is required. I would highly recommend you figure out what your actual calorie need is and just take a little away from that. If you need assistance figuring out what your actual calorie need is; let me know.

Best Wishes,
    Jim
  • ulmernd
    ulmernd Posts: 4
    Options
    You NEED AT LEAST 1200 Calories a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    NO!!!

g60051413g6.gif

Just squash that idea...it's horrible and extremely dangerous. Why not focus on being healthy for your little one there and less on instant gratification weight loss that is going to leave you with a potential laundry list of health problems.
  • Schnidj
    Schnidj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really unsafe to eat only 500 calories a day. You're starving yourself. You should follow the guidelines on here and eat what the program suggests. If you don't see changes, after a couple of weeks, tweak it a bit.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No :angry:
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    :noway: This HAS to be a wind up.......
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Faster doesn't mean better.

Losing weight takes time, just like it took time to gain it. And limiting your calories below what your body needs to function is only going to do more damage in the end. Take your time losing weight and don't worry so much about how soon, it's about doing it healthy and without starving yourself :)
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I survived on 500 a day and I had a life threatening eating disorder.
    I'm not even going to go into all the health risks, I think the fact I nearly killed myself eating so little speaks loud enough.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nope. You may lose weight, but you are killing your metabolism. You'll find your energy levels are lower, and you'll make it harder to keep the weight off once you lose it. Plenty of tools around to help you find out where you should be aiming for and what to eat to make goal when you're not hungry.
This discussion has been closed.