is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Every day another thread like this starts..... :sad: :cry:

:flowerforyou: To the OP. No, eat more. :flowerforyou:
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    500 calories isn't even enough to keep your body going if you were in a coma. if you eat that few of calories yor will have more binging and even worse, your body will give out from all the fatigue. you have to eat. plain and simple. i think even 1200 is too few. i was losing weight at 1200 cals a day but plateaued because my body was in starvation mode. i upped my cal intake by 480 calories..so now i eat 1680 cals a day - in two days, the weight started falling off again. don't starve yourself. if you are really eating that few of calories i would recommend a psychologist -
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Once in a while...sure
    All the time...no
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's probably a dumb idea.

If your only goal is to lose as fast as possible, enjoy gaining it all back.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Absoultely! As long as you add an addition 700-1000 calories to that. Your welcome.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltvyi9DXGo1qjokxe.gif
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I survived on 500 a day and I had a life threatening eating disorder.
    I'm not even going to go into all the health risks, I think the fact I nearly killed myself eating so little speaks loud enough.

So very much this ^^^ Good of you to speak about your own experience with the same thing!

I ended up in the hospital twice when I was 19 because of doing this same thing, terrifying.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight. The faster the better. I am on adipex and could go all day without eating. I am still eating because I know its bad for you to not eat at all. what about eating around 500 calories a day? according to the calculator on my page I could lose the weight alot quicker that way.
    like today for example: breakfast 160 cal, lunch 350 cal and dinner have a salad 150 cal.
    I know thats more than 500 but I just had the idea after I ate lunch.
    like if you eat lettuce and stuff with little or no calories and still eat but only consume 500
    what do you all think?

I can tell that you are NOT eating enough calories or fat. Your brain is not functioning properly. Perhaps the medication is compounding the problem. I am eating nutrient dense food (lots of calories, low volume) and I am healthy and losing weight.

Why is it a race? What will you do when you reach the finish line? Go back to eating the way you did before?
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    :frown: no no no, not healthy at all! please eat more to be healthy and stick around for your little one:cry:

ETA: your little "ONES"...I didnt' realize you had 3 children.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Please please reconsider.....500 is way too low. The lowest possible is 1200 and even that is too low especially if you exercise!!!
    You need to make a healthy change...not some klind of fad diet!!

Good Luck with healthy choices!!
  • JayHesker
    JayHesker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This instant-gratification mindset when it comes to fitness and weight loss makes me laugh. It took you years to get where you are. You think you can just stop eating and it all goes away? That ridiculous. Get out. Easy come, easy go. Even if you did lose a bunch of weight by some stupid unhealthy means, you'd gain it all back when you ended your diet and went right back to old eating habits because you not only have not increased your basal metabolic rate, but actually decreased it by losing muscle mass in the unhealthy weight-loss phase.

I'm with SKeywood. This has to be a wind-up. No one is this stupid.....Are they?.....
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Absoultely! As long as you add an addition 700-1000 calories to that. Your welcome.

This is beautiful!!!! :heart:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yeah. For breakfast.

a) only do it under a doctor's supervision
    b) don't do it
    c) find out what your resting metabolic rate (RMR or BMR) is & eat that as a minimum (general guideline - not perfect for all people, but it doesn't sound like you're looking for serious advice anyway)
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    500, with 3 kids? i'd probably be doing enough running about to eat 5000 rather than 500!
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Yes, you'll lose it quickly, but it will be all muscle you're losing. Then once you start to eat normally again you'll just gain it all back. Sustainable weight loss means losing slowly. You MUST have at least 1200 or you will surely make yourself sick.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Asking this question is like asking if it is OK to blowdry your hair in the shower.....
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    ohpleasesif.gif
  • lateeda49
    lateeda49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    NO it is NOT ok to eat only 500 calories. You are starving your body. It will be harder to lose weight because your body thinks it is starving and will not release the fat you have! The minimum caloric intake should never be less than 1200 calories a day! You can send your body into ketosis which is dangerous!
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO !
This discussion has been closed.