is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    dont forget to take pictures from all of your excess skin...

Not sure what this comment was about? I have excess skin, but it's from losing my weight over 19 months...... I guess if you have only a little to lose, and you do it gradually, you shouldn't have excess skin?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I did take them before and lose weight. I walked everyday and ate much less than I am eating now. After I lost the weight I didnt walk anymore and my eating gradually went back up to overeating. My plan now is after I lose the weight to keep walking and eating less.

I really don't understand. You took it before was more restrictive than you are now (which you say somewhere else is 1,200) but you want to know if it's ok to only eat 500 calories...which I assume if what you did before and had NO success with. I just... seriously, what is going on in your head?
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You REALLY need to speak to your Dr---no way that could be healthy.:frown: I would be positively miserable...
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Not sure what this comment was about? I have excess skin, but it's from losing my weight over 19 months...... I guess if you have only a little to lose, and you do it gradually, you shouldn't have excess skin?

i understand that after losing so much (congrats btw you trualy are an inspiration) but toward the OP that was ment- losing 40 lbs you can prevent that, but losing 40lbs cause of eating only 500/day....you get the point?
  • sassysoccer
    Options
    Its not a good idea to to only eat 500 cal a day. You'll end up crashing in the end and probably regain all the weight you lost. By not eating, you'll just slow down your metabolize. I would just eat a very clean, healthy diet...lots of fruits and veggies. You'll feel better and notice a difference for sure. You may not lose the weight as fast as you would like,but the changes will be permanent instead of short term.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Not unless your goal is death.
  • nicawaters
    Options
    IMO you will not lose weight on that - your body will go into deep conservation mode. You need food to live! And why is it so important to lose weight that fast? Losing it that fast will not lead to keeping it off . . .
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Most of the medicines are related to some type of side effects or another and Adipex, called "Phen Phen" in 1995, isn't any different. The severe side effects that are linked to the medication are - trouble in respiration, bloating lips, final throats, distended encounter or language, hives, abnormal pulse, upsurge in blood pressure, hallucination, irregular conduct or distress. Apart from these, less severe Adipex side effects are - tremor, anxiety, headaches, sleeplessness, and transform in libido an such like. Phentermine may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for.
    The warning is posted on their own websites warning of the side effects! The must do this because of massive law suites they lost. I am shocked it is still being prescribed.

I remember in 1995 this drug was called Phen Phen which is what this is by another name for Phentermine . The drug Comany was sued by many people by a class action suite taken against the Company and won. I had a Friend I knew and she won a massive sum of money. Why? Because before she started taking phentermine she had tests done prior and there was no evidence of high blood pressure or heart trouble. The Woman was not even 100 lbs overwieght but got the pills from a Dr. in Hawaii where she lived. In a matter of months she had a heart attack! I remember she was bragging to me how much energy the pills gave her, and she never got hungry. My Friend offered to get me some of the pills and I almost said Yes until she called and told me she was in the Hospital and had a Heart Attack!

The Woman was in only in her 30's she is dead now.My Friend was a beautiful Woman but after taking these pills her health detoriated she aged quickly before everyone's eyes. She had told me anxiety,confusion, depression, and heart racing was her first sign. The warning below is now associated with the side effects on websites selling this but they never mention the law suit instead People are warned not to take it if they have the issues below.

Warning of history of heart disease (coronary artery disease, heart rhythm problems, congestive heart failure, pulmonary hypertension) severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure,overactive thyroid,glaucoma,if you are in an agitated state,if you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse

You are playing russian roulette with your health, your heart, all your organs need calories to function, your immune system needs calories, your brain needs calories. This is not intermedient fasting this is called starvation! Hitler forced the Jews in concentration camps to starve on 500 calories . One picture of the Natzi Concentration Camp is worth a thousand words! No amount of money can buy your health after it is in Crisis mode.

Phen Phen is also addicting, do you plan to eat 500 calories the rest of your life? You are not learning how to eat in portion control except by the use of a diet pill! Make no mistake these pills are habit forming because the weight will return when the pills are stopped. I may be losing weight slowly because of many health issues I struggle with but I am learning how to eat healthy with portion control.

I have heart issues now, was it because of the diet pills I once experimented with ? Did I do this to myself? I also use to starve myself and now I am in my 40's and my health is in Crisis mode. Is my heart problems due to the Dr. prescribed "Black Beauty " diet pills I use to take until they were banned by FDA? I will never know. I found out I was Pregnant with twins while on Dr. Prescribed Diet pills. Did this cause my high risk pregnancy and my identical twin Sons to be born premature in the 7th month and incubator Babies for 1 month? Please take the warnings given to you seriously by People are warning you because they care and realize you are abusing your body and eventually the body will get revenge.
  • majikmiker
    Options

i understand that after losing so much (congrats btw you trualy are an inspiration) but toward the OP that was ment- losing 40 lbs you can prevent that, but losing 40lbs cause of eating only 500/day....you get the point?

MMmm.. ok. I see. Oh ya, and thanks.

I think this thread is a joke anyways. There is so much discussion on here about this kind of thing. Like every second day someone says "I'm only have a piece of melba toast and half a teaspoon of peanut butter a day, is that bad?" and then sits back and is shocked by the cries of "idiot" and "that's stupid" and "you're killing yourself".

I understand that maybe people really DON'T know, but if you're serious enough about losing weight, so much that you go to your doctor to get a prescription for an appetite suppressant, then why not do research into how much you SHOULD be eating?? Talk to your doctor, or a dietician, or a trainer at a gym, or do the math and figure out those acronyms that I never remember (TDEE, BMI etc). Do something other than come on here and ask a question that you should know will get people riled up and cause them to lose their minds.

To the OP, you've been on the site since August 2012, so you should have read about 15,000 other posts similar to yours by now. Please talk to a professional, or follow the advice of the previous 6 pages of posters and eat your minimum that MFP suggests.

:huh: :cry: :indifferent:
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to be so rude! I never once said I was doing this, i said it was an idea. I understand that I cannot take the adipex forever. I could also go all day without eating, but I'm not doing that. I am eating around 1200 calories a day and walking a mile on my treadmill. I figure the adipex will help with my hunger while I learn to eat less and exercise more. My plan is to do it the right way, diet and exercise and use the adipex to help me.
    What a shame I couldnt get 6 pages of responces when I joined the group and was looking for support.

You were asking if it was okay to eat 500 calories a day, so clearly the intention was there. I don't think it makes a difference if you were doing it or intended to do it. All it takes is a little common sense to realize it is a bad idea. I'm not familiar with the diet pill you are on but it seems like it is prescribed by a doctor, maybe you should talk to your doctor and see what he suggests calorie wise. Also I don't think anybody was being rude, 500 calories a day can do serious damage to your body.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options

MMmm.. ok. I see. Oh ya, and thanks.

I think this thread is a joke anyways. There is so much discussion on here about this kind of thing. Like every second day someone says "I'm only have a piece of melba toast and half a teaspoon of peanut butter a day, is that bad?" and then sits back and is shocked by the cries of "idiot" and "that's stupid" and "you're killing yourself".

I understand that maybe people really DON'T know, but if you're serious enough about losing weight, so much that you go to your doctor to get a prescription for an appetite suppressant, then why not do research into how much you SHOULD be eating?? Talk to your doctor, or a dietician, or a trainer at a gym, or do the math and figure out those acronyms that I never remember (TDEE, BMI etc). Do something other than come on here and ask a question that you should know will get people riled up and cause them to lose their minds.

To the OP, you've been on the site since August 2012, so you should have read about 15,000 other posts similar to yours by now. Please talk to a professional, or follow the advice of the previous 6 pages of posters and eat your minimum that MFP suggests.

:huh: :cry: :indifferent:

totally agree.

but oh boy i must confess.... sometimes'' idiots'' are welcome.... cause they entertain me a tiny bit haha
  • caroljford1
    Options
    I recently joined a Weight Wise workshop and the nurse and dietician running it advice 1500-1700 calories a day is good practice. Never anything less 1200 calories.
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight. The faster the better. I am on adipex and could go all day without eating. I am still eating because I know its bad for you to not eat at all. what about eating around 500 calories a day? according to the calculator on my page I could lose the weight alot quicker that way.
    like today for example: breakfast 160 cal, lunch 350 cal and dinner have a salad 150 cal.
    I know thats more than 500 but I just had the idea after I ate lunch.
    like if you eat lettuce and stuff with little or no calories and still eat but only consume 500
    what do you all think?
    Is it bad I cried reading this??? Absolutely NO to the 500 calories. Everyone's answers above should be valid enough to not ever eat that less of calories.
  • majikmiker
    Options

but oh boy i must confess.... sometimes'' idiots'' are welcome.... cause they entertain me a tiny bit haha

Tis true, just please not on a MONDAY! lol. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ok, well I've done a 500 calorie a day diet and I did it for 4 months so I know that if you're very overweight you can do it without ending up in hospital.

HOWEVER....

If you're going to do VLCD you'd need to get a doctor's sign off on it and make sure that you are still on-boarding the correct vitamins and minerals. Generally people go with one of the big diet companies like Cambridge Diet or Lighter Life.

So; I did Lighter Life and I lost approx 60lbs in the 4 months however it was hell on earth and when I came off it I had blood tests and was dangerously low in Magnesium and B12 - to the point that I had to have weekly jabs in my butt for a month.

Even worse than feeling like crap, as soon as I started eating a fairly normal healthy diet (I actually went to Slimming World), the weight started piling back on and within 6 months I was back where I started.

So...as someone who's been there, done that and bought the t-shirt don't do it!!!!
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    NO freaking NO! I've tried Adipex and know that you can struggle to eat 800+ calories. But you have to. You have to eat 1200-1400, depending on your beginning size. Never less than 1200. You might lose, but you will gain it back in the long run. Don't do it. SMH.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My Pekingese eats about 500 calories a day. You need much more calories than a slow moving toy breed dog.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Unless a physician puts you on 500 calories a day for very specific reasons, then I would say "no". I'm not an expert. But if you eat too low like that, you are looking at crossing the threshhold of eating disorders. Not only that but you aren't learning to fuel your body as it was intended to be for the long haul---so you won't be able to sustain it. I see nothing good from striving to live on 500 calories a day.
This discussion has been closed.