Leftover Birthday Cake dilemma...

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cut a small piece for today and trash the rest. We had a lot of leftover from my kids birthday last week and I managed to resist the temptation 4 of the 5 days it was here. I only got a small slice the first day (well within my calories) without frosting.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You can throw it away. The person who made it for you did it as an expression of affection. You have received that expression of affection. The cake has served its purpose. Eating it won't make you understand the point of the cake more than throwing it away. The message of love is received. The cake is like an empty envelope, right now.

Do you see what I mean?

I love to bake. I bake all the time. I don't even eat sugar or flour any more but I still love to bake for my friends who do eat it. If I ever sent anybody home with a cake who felt the way you do, I would want them to toss it.

I really like the way you said this!! It is awesome!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely want in on some of that cake, lol! I'd work servings into my daily intake for a day or two; cut/portion it all out first and get it in your diary and work around it. Maybe freeze a few portions for "emergency cake days", and then bring the rest to work :) I'd need to get the bulk of it out of sight (freezer) pretty quickly though, because cake is basically kryptonite.
  • twinbee
    twinbee Posts: 12
    Options
    invite some friends over drink tea and eat cake :)
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    pour ketchup on it and throw it in the trash. or take it to your neighbor (this is what i usually do..... i have wicked awesome neighbors, we give eachother treats all the time........). ----And then when you see your friend next time, tell her how AMAZING that cake was and how much you enjoyed it. The end!!!! :bigsmile:
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    give it a way immediately or trash it..i had a friend who kept on insisting on dropping off her famous high calorie dessert every so often, even though i declined nicely many times...so instead of hurting feelings, i just thanked her very much, told her it was wonderful, and as soon as she left threw it away. i don't need those temptations in my freezer lol
  • Avasmama2000
    Avasmama2000 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Throw it away in your sink disposal if possible. That way it is gone for good and out of sight (not lingering in your trash can). You will feel better knowing it's no longer lurking around tempting you and your friend does not have to know what happened to the leftovers.
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think cake is gross once it's been frozen and thawed...I would have a small piece today and either toss the rest or stick it in the fridge and take it to work on Tuesday. In my experience, coworkers generally don't care if it's slightly stale, they're just happy about a free treat.
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    I throw stuff like that out into the yard and let the birds/mice/raccoons enjoy it! :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Cut it into portions and freeze it.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'd either eat it over the next few days, or cut it up and freeze it. No use in wasting perfectly good cake, especially one that someone made as a nice gesture.
  • Dr229
    Dr229 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    FREEZE IT
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would trash it. I'm a lover of cake, but still...

Your friend wouldn't have to know that's what you did. But your body would know if you ate it. You lost last week. Wouldn't you like to lose this week too? It's not a sentimental present that you can hang on to forever. It turns into waste (stored or not) in your body. Why not allow it to be waste without the worries?

I have had two children with birthdays so far this year and would have loved to eat some cake! They would have enjoyed me participating in eating it with them. However, I have to look out for me. I might eat a piece, if you are confident in doing so without backsliding--- but is it worth it if you wind up regretting what can't be undone, especially if you are thinking of eating the entire half?

This is just the conversation I would have with myself in this particular scenario...
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It would of never made it home. Would of trashed it at the first dumpster I came to.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Eat it and burn it off.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Trash it.

I figure it's better off in the trash than on my *kitten*!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    we always have this issue. my MIL makes homemade cakes for everyones birthday, and whoever's birthday it is, has all the left over cake. They are always fantastic cakes, but we usually end up taking them to work with us and let my co-workers have at it.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    throw it out, its not worth it
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Throw it or give it away!!! You don't need to "hang on" to that comfort food just in case.... let it go :heart:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    spray Windex on it.