• michelleavent1979
    Options
    My favourite Coleslaw

4 grated granny smith apples (14 oz) = 234
    13 Oz grated carrots (Around 4 large) = 158 calories
    27 oz of cabbage ( that's the head that I had) = 191 calories

1/4 cup Mayo (light is FINE!)
    1/4 C apple cider vinegar = 0
    1/4 C sugar = 195 calories (I have used brown before and it gives it a difference flavour)

Mix the sugar, may and vinager, and then poor over the fruits/veggies - toss well.

Add salt if you like, but it will make the cabbage lose some of the liquid.

The whole thing is 1000 calories and makes a TON.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have to say this.

Damn you, OP. Every time this thread pops up in My Topics I get that dang song stuck in my head AGAIN.

What do I do with a head of cabbage
    Cause I don't want to waste money

*shakes fist* :angry:
  • mercurymads
    mercurymads Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    how about a slaw for dinner side with veggie burgers, chicken or lettuce wraps?

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Creamy-Lime-Slaw-MyRecipes-245425?columns=4&position=7/36

or use as base of salad. i do that to switch things up. can of tuna, mix of veggies on top.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like to carmelize onions add in cut cabbage, toss in the evoo and onions until al dente! SO GOOD!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I shred mine. Then I take a big heavy pan and throw in two chopped onions in a little coconut oil and saute 5 mins. Then I add 1/3 cabbage, add a pinch of salt, and cook till cabbage starts getting slightly caramelized. Add more cabbage and continue, then do again till cabbage is cooked and onions are yummy. Add a pinch of tarragon, and salt if needed, and a little pepper. Yum!!!
  • Cathy0509
    Cathy0509 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to do with cabbage is to brown ground turkey, then add a bag of frozen onions and peppers. Add your thinly sliced cabbage along with a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, salt and pepper and garlic and let that simmer until cabbage is tender. Very filling and not high in calories.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Saving for later, thank-you
  • Lavon_G
    Lavon_G Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas!
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    coleslaw
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    cabbage rolls are yummy, I made some this week with turkey and brown rice.

also 'boiled dinner'
    which is just throwing all the ingredients into a pot and boiling them until cooked, serving it like soup
    cabbage
    potatoes
    carrots
    turkey sausage
    salt and pepper
    (could use mushrooms too)
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cabbage with Bacon:

http://www.thekitchn.com/easy-winter-recipe-roasted-cab-105338

I made this without bacon and it came out great.

Had olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and and cloves of garlic (unpeeled).
    The slightly charred edges are delicious, a really nice way of making cabbage. It will become a regular in our home.
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Sorry if someone already said this: didn't have time to look through all the pages! Cook a few strips of bacon until well crispy in the bottom of a large pot. Remove the bacon and crumble it, then boil the cabbage in water in the same pot, scraping the bacon drippings off the bottom. When the cabbage is soft remove it from the pot while keping the liquid. Boil several potatoes in the same pot until soft enough to mash. Prepare the mashed potatoes as you normally would per your favorite additions (like milk, seasoning, a bit of butter, etc). Mix all of it (cabbage, bacon bits, and mashed potatoes) together.

Yum!
  • farmwife_ne
    farmwife_ne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    colcannon- mixture of cabbage, potatoes and bacon
    fried cabbage - fry bacon, add chopped cabbage, steam
    runzas - cabbage/kraut, hamburger/ground turkey, onions, salt & pepper rolled up in bread dough and baked
    kraut- good with most meats and on pizza
    cabbage soup
    coleslaw
    runza casserole - corned beef, cabbage, swiss cheese, noodles, cream soup, top with bread crumbs
    :happy:
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Love cabbage. Bump! (I want to try pan frying with a bit of oil, bacon and onions.)
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Make cabbage soup. YUMMY
  • NewCyn
    NewCyn Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I make several meals out of one head of cabbage. I add it to soups, filler in stir fry, saute it in a little butter with seasoned salt as a side dish and shred it to go on fish tacos instead of lettuce. You can also make cabbage rolls..yummy! If you keep it wrapped air tight it will last well over one week in fridge.
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I sautee it. As a side dish, chopped into narrow strips and combine with onions and carrots, sautee for a few minutes to wilt id, then add a little soy sauce, sriratcha or red pepper flakes, sherry wine and then a drizzle of sesame oil at the end.
    To do a main dish sautee some pork loin strips first and then add the veggies.