and they say eating healthy costs more??

Options

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Eating healthy costs MORE than cheap fast food. Our chicken on sale is $1.90/lb, lettuce that is not wilted is about $1.00/serving size. Add more veggies, fruit, healthy yogurt, and anything else and the cost/day is about $15.00. I could eat 3 super sized value meals with drinks for $10.00 so.... you tell me what is cheaper. I can get cheap frozen foods that are full of fillers and fat cheaper than that.

I just wish eating healthy was cheaper. Since my weight loss efforts, I don't drink so that is a savings but... fruits, veggies, fish lean meats all add up to more than cheaper high calorie foods. A cheesy lasagne is $4.00 and lasts for days. A box of lettuce is $5.00 and lasts for a side dish for a few meals!!!
  • silverainn
    Options
    If more people would learn to grow food the price would no longer be a point. I can spend .98cents-$2.75 for a pack of seeds and grow an entire Summers worth of food and STILL have enough to can and preserve for over the Winter.

Still depends on where you live :) Unless I want to live off potatoes and turnips and rhubarb (which we do grow, but they're also the cheapest veggies to buy), it's not an option. We also pick/dry wild mushrooms, pick/freeze berries in autumn, and catch our own fish. Even with that, we spend over $1000 USD/month on food. We try to grow a few vegetables indoors, but even with grow lights we don't get any produce besides herbs/salad leaves except in the summer months. My poor plants have been fruiting tiny peppers and such that haven't grown in size since October.. they just dry up and fall off. The 2 months of no sun combined with the 8-9 months cold put a damper on gardening. If I lived somewhere nice and warm, I'd have a huge garden.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know where those prices apply - but where I live, the pound of chicken alone would be close to the $6 mark. I agree that you can eat healthy for less than eating junk, though you have to have enough money to do a little advance shopping - if you have only $5 to your name, you're not getting much at my local grocery store.

Yes, the chicken breasts caught my eye too! Those prices look like they are from the 50's.
    That said, I think I eat very healthily and don't spend a lot. Avoiding restaurants and take-out is great way to spend less and eat better food.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If more people would learn to grow food the price would no longer be a point. I can spend .98cents-$2.75 for a pack of seeds and grow an entire Summers worth of food and STILL have enough to can and preserve for over the Winter.

Think of all the weight you could lose while waiting for your seeds grow into something edible!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    All food has a season. I would never buy grapes, for example, out of season. In season they are .99 a pound. Meat has a season too. Right now here pork is very cheap. .79 a pound. I never even thought about healthful things not being available. I have always lived in more populated regions of the US. My suggestion is, shop sales, stop eating because "you want it". When dried beans go on sale buy one get one, I load up the pantry. It is doable and just as cost efficient if you want it. Does it take time and attention? Yes.. Is it with it? Extra yes.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I live in an apartment. Outside space is a major factor. Indoor as well, as it's a 500 sq. foot studio.
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I buy a whole chicken for about $5. I can make about five meals with it. First meal is baked, veggies and brown rice. I use the left overs for pot pies, salads, tacos. I boil the bone and make soup. I think eating healthy take more time.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I live in an apartment. Outside space is a major factor. Indoor as well, as it's a 500 sq. foot studio.
    i grew tomatoes and peppers in these upside down planters that I hung from the railings of my condo porch. I got a nice yield last summer. This year I started my seedlings inside. I should have a harvest by late may.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Where I live, there is no such thing as a pound of chicken breast for $0.98, or bananas for $0.48! Actually none of those prices would be right except the bread, and I don't eat bread.

Where I shop, the bread's not right either. A loaf of Brownberry is at least $3.50, sometimes in the $4s. That grocery store is a bit pricey, but I don't think I could get it for under $3.00 at the popular warehouse-type grocery store here. Maybe Costco.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think those prices are either 1) outdated 2) definitely not in my location, BUT I'm still spending the same amount on groceries a week with healthy stuff now. I avoid the aisles as much as possible AND I find we actually save more money because we get take out a whole lot less now. I usually make enough for leftovers, stock up when chicken or ground turkey is on sale, buy marked down meat for freezer so in the end I don't think I am spending anymore, maybe even less than I was buying junk. Also no little side trips to the corner store for soda, chips or sweets.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    In the UK at shops such as 'Iceland' you can buy very cheap unhealthy processed c**p. Thankfully I've never bought that stuff so am really none the wiser.

I try to buy as much fresh as possible and make my own pasta sauces etc because of the amount of sugar and preservatives put in to jars of sauce from the supermarket. Even looking at Passata (sieves tomatoes) yesterday teh amount of sugar in them varied considerably.

The frozen chicken we bought yesterday was about GBP6.00 per kilo so that is about GBP2.72 or USD4.08 per lb. There is the slight guilt of the ethics and freshness of the chicken. I'm sure it is probably injected with salt water solution and the chickens probably aren't the happiest sort. If we were to buy fresh free range I can only imagine it would be nearly double the price.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    544083_508346685873622_2018718844_n.jpg
    don't know where this is, but that exact package of chicken where I live costs minimum $4 alone, the bread isn't that cheap either just the veggies maybe, but that's only one meal for my family of 5
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Where do you go you buy 1 lb. of chicken for 98 cents?
    that's what I want to know
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    I wish whole foods were that cheap in the Washington DC area.

Watch the sales at Giant and Safeway for meat. Also, if you're closer to a Trader Joes the food there is way cheaper than at Whole Foods and I tend to find that the produce is usually better (as well as the customer service).
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Couple of points based on the comments:

1. Not everyone has enough land or the right climate to grow their own foods. I do some pots on my porches, and it's fun, but not enough to result in any substantial savings.

2. Not everyone has enough freezer or pantry space to buy in bulk. Those of us that live in small places in the city are lucky to fit our regular shopping.

3. I agree that I rarely find coupons for healthy food - most of the coupons I've seen are for unhealthy or heavily processed foods.

4. Just my personal preference, but I'd rather pay more than shop at Walmart, ever.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is cheaper but we bake our own bread and it seems to be cost neutral (by baking at home we can avoid sesame allergies in my son)

Sometimes it can be cost neutral to do it yourself and you can have activities that you do as a family. That said the convenience of ready bread from a supermarket is nice too!
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    There are options for growing food when you have a small space and no land. Most cities have community gardens. Lots of people who garden in these gardens will barter with you as well. Another option would be supporting your local farmers. Go to the farms or farmers markets. As a small farm owner....I can tell you...I am not just out for $$ I will also barter for just about anything I need. I grow my own organic chickens from chick to freezer. I pay nobody to do any part of the work for me to keep my costs low. One farm in my town chrages upwards of 4 or 5 bucks a pound!!!!! I can grow mine for a fraction of that price. I do the same with pork. Also, I see people saying they dont ever find coupons for healthy items. I use coupons. If there is a couple of weeks where there are no good deals on healthy items using my coupons, I will use my coupons to purchase items I donate to the pantry that will give me an overage at the register. I use the overage from these donation items to pay for our fresh fruits and other items I want that are healthy. It is a win-win. I get healthy items, the store gets reimbursed for the coupons and the local food pantry gets items donated that they really need to help local families. Just a couple of thoughts on eating well and saving $$.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    uh no. Boneless chicken breasts are 5 dollars per lb in our store. The bread is over $3. Thats stuff would cost closer to $20 in our stores here in the MIDWEST where everythign is supposed to be cheap. as if!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    72631_508637315844559_1151545860_n.jpg

Food is not even that cheap at Aldis. The cheapest i have seen bananas is .25 each.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    lol no.