Unrelated ?'s on racks and tight pants...

Options
First of all, this is my first topic in the message board. Hooray for me!

I am a very patient person in the gym, I often help the senior citizens at the gym when butt-wipes don't return forty-five pound plates. However, I drive ten miles out of my way to a YMCA that is new and deserted because the squat rack is never in use, and I squat to begin every lift day. Yesterday there was a "trainer" with her client in the squat rack doing what were supposed to be Romanian dead-lifts (empty bar) and some variation of barbell rows (empty bar) with horrendous form. I asked very politely if I could get some squats in and was greeted with a snarky response and an eye roll from the trainer. She then had her client do some inverted rows in the rack, even though a smith machine sits adjacent them, out of spite (my opinion). Thirty minutes later, after walking on a treadmill and playing on facebook, they finished up the "workout".

As there are two bench presses, another incline and decline bench set-ups with their own bars, I often complete my deads and rows with that equipment (on the rare occurrences when someone else is in the weights area) so that the squat rack is open for anyone else who may require its use.

So, I ask the MFP world: What is the accepted squat rack etiquette? Deads in or out? Overhead Press? Rows?

Secondly, to the ladies: What's the deal with undies under yoga pants/spandex/etc? Perpetual wedgie is not a good look....

Replies

• dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    i hate YMCAs for that exact reason. If i need to squat and ur doing bbcurls and the squat rack your gonna get told to move. you can do other exercise pretty much anywere in gym, u cant squat anywere but the power rack, so make them move
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Secondly, to the ladies: What's the deal with undies under yoga pants/spandex/etc? Perpetual wedgie is not a good look....

Judgemental much?

As for your other question, I don't know the ettiquette, I workout at home. Other than having a rack to load my bench and squats, I don't use a rack for any other exercise. I can't remember, but I think my husband might deadlift in the rack (we're talking 400 lounds plus), it's been awhile since I've worked out at the gym with him. I know people using the racks for things like bb curls ticks him off, though.
  • greenihlonde
    Options
    Underwear should NEVER under ANY circumstance be wore under spandex or tight pants in general. I don't get this practice at all. Ew.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Judgemental much?

Just trying to make sense of the senseless...
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Can't see any reason to use a rack for anything BUT a squat unless you're doing max weight benches or the like.

As far as underwear goes, you'll be pleased to know I never wear underwear at the gym. :laugh: I've actually noticed a lot of yoga pants are kind of see-through. So unless you want everyone to see your pink and purple polka dotted panties through your black yoga pants....just don't wear any.

I think , for the most part, people who are curling or doing some other such dumbness in a rack are lifting more weight than they SHOULD be and using it to allow them to do so. Someone might come in and say something about maximum fatigue but I call BS.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options

Judgemental much?

Haha i hear you on that tho, all the girls must not realize its all on display
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I work out at home mostly, so I don't much care, I guess! ;) I also wear good undies, so no wedgies for me, although I'm sure I have the ever offense VPL.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Squats in the squat rack.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I use it for squats and deadlifts.

I JUST switched to a trap bar for deadlifts and I think Im going to stay with that.

Right now Im still with a curl barbell for OHP, but once I switch to the full barbell, I'll be in the squat rack, while Im getting used to it. It's where my Yoda taught me, It has the highest notch for me to get under the bar (advantage tall people).

but I also get there at 5:30 in the morning so Im not in anyone's way, and I never mind if someone wants to work in with me.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use it for squats and deadlifts.

I JUST switched to a trap bar for deadlifts and I think Im going to stay with that.

Right now Im still with a curl barbell for OHP, but once I switch to the full barbell, I'll be in the squat rack, while Im getting used to it. It's where my Yoda taught me, It has the highest notch for me to get under the bar (advantage tall people).

but I also get there at 5:30 in the morning so Im not in anyone's way, and I never mind if someone wants to work in with me.

This is my philosophy as well. It's fine if you feel more comfortable doing different lifts in the rack, but my mommy taught me to share. And I always help load/unload the bar in these instances.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I wear underwear under workout pants for comfort, not for how it looks. I've heard horror stories of women not realizing there was a hole in their pants and, IMO, that's really putting it on display.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Let me answer the underwear question.

First of all, I tend to wear thongs to the gym under my spandex except on days that go to spinning. Those days, I wear more underwear than I do at any other point in my daily life because I'm sitting on a bike that others have ridden. I want to protect myself from gym cooties as much as possible, so it's full cotton panties under the spandex on spin days.

Secondly, I can justify those horrendous panty lines on spin days because I'm there to work out. I don't care how YOU look when you go the gym - panty lines, no panty lines (just wipe down your bike and equipment if you go commando, please!), makeup, nomakeup, done hair, slop knot... I just couldn't care any less. I'm sure the person wearing panties under spandex that you saw feels very similarly.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Judgemental much?

Would you rather camel toe?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    First of all, this is my first topic in the message board. Hooray for me!

I am a very patient person in the gym, I often help the senior citizens at the gym when butt-wipes don't return forty-five pound plates. However, I drive ten miles out of my way to a YMCA that is new and deserted because the squat rack is never in use, and I squat to begin every lift day. Yesterday there was a "trainer" with her client in the squat rack doing what were supposed to be Romanian dead-lifts (empty bar) and some variation of barbell rows (empty bar) with horrendous form. I asked very politely if I could get some squats in and was greeted with a snarky response and an eye roll from the trainer. She then had her client do some inverted rows in the rack, even though a smith machine sits adjacent them, out of spite (my opinion). Thirty minutes later, after walking on a treadmill and playing on facebook, they finished up the "workout".

As there are two bench presses, another incline and decline bench set-ups with their own bars, I often complete my deads and rows with that equipment (on the rare occurrences when someone else is in the weights area) so that the squat rack is open for anyone else who may require its use.

So, I ask the MFP world: What is the accepted squat rack etiquette? Deads in or out? Overhead Press? Rows?

it's called a SQUAT rack. I think you can deduce it's intended purpose.

Um. Certain times of the month, certain things are different than other times of the month. I'm talking about normal healthy vaginal secretions. Sometimes I'd rather it go on my undies than soak my work out clothes.

Did you *really* have to ask?

http://www.pamf.org/teen/health/femalehealth/discharge.html
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Underwear should NEVER under ANY circumstance be wore under spandex or tight pants in general. I don't get this practice at all. Ew.

It's a good thing I don't care what other people think :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Judgemental much?

How is this judgmental? Saying something looks bad is just pointing out a fact. Calling that woman a sl*t and a wh*re because of it, now THAT would be judgmental. Get your definitions straight before crawling up someone's butt, mmmkay?
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

This is why I DO NOT wear underwear at the gym.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    I do my entire stronglifts routine in the pwer rack (except benching). takes me at most 40 minutes, but at my gym we have 3 power racks, 2 smith machines and 1 regular squat rack. also have at least 2 benches of each variety. I also allow anyone to work in with me as long as they take 1 side for weight addition and removal.

What really pisses me off is the guys who use the dip attachments in the rack or do pull ups/chin ups. My gym has 2 assited dip/pull up machines and like 5 or 6 other places besides the 3 power racks to do pull ups

edit: I also dont wear under wear at the gym...or pants
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You had me at racks and tight pants :flowerforyou:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I do agree with this. Panty lines are never in style. But I also think it's totally nasto to be going commando when you're sweating in certain places...I've seen "crotch dew" on ladies' tight pants, and it's just wrong. Ain't nobody wants to see that. Underwear helps with this, creating an extra buffer btwn flesh and the rest of the gym's view. I make sure the underwear I wear leaves no lines. (believe me, I check and double-check!) Usually a gently form-fitting lace thong does the trick. Sorry if tmi...you DID ask! :tongue: