McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    they quit using the pink slime in their burgers just a year ago.

high quality indeed

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/

And today...?

today they use 100% beef - which means all of it comes from a cow... in some way shape or form.

I'm just saying that if a year ago they were willing to use pink slime... that doesn't really scream "company trying their hardest to buy the 'cleanest' beef on the market"

It screams "company trying to use all the beef from their cows without significantly affecting taste."

Small amounts of pink slime were, until 2011, mixed in with the ground beef. There's many times more beef than trimmings on a cow. No one complained about the taste, or even noticed a difference in taste.
  • lauren_3243
    lauren_3243 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Damn I want a burger now...lol
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to taste things when you are dead...just sayin.

I love me some Mickey D's cookies and smoothies!

You only live once, so I recommend you do it! support the cattle business!

ugh - the cattle business is one of the biggest contributors to global warming and environmental destruction, and the things they do to the cows is just gut-wrenchingly disgusting.

free range? go for it. factory farming cattle industry? just awful.

Environmental destruction? If environmental sustainability is a concern, start with companies that deplete the planet's resources and pollute air and water in order to produce products that decorate people's bodies rather than feed them? Jewelry? 20 tons of waste generated in producing a single golden ring?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    they quit using the pink slime in their burgers just a year ago.

high quality indeed

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/

And today...?

today they use 100% beef - which means all of it comes from a cow... in some way shape or form.

I'm just saying that if a year ago they were willing to use pink slime... that doesn't really scream "company trying their hardest to buy the 'cleanest' beef on the market"

It screams "company trying to use all the beef from their cows without significantly affecting taste."

Small amounts of pink slime were, until 2011, mixed in with the ground beef. There's many times more beef than trimmings on a cow. No one complained about the taste, or even noticed a difference in taste.

but even if you're right - by default that means it's not the cleanest beef on the market - as the poster who I was originally responding to claimed.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just copying my reply from last month. and the month before. and before...

someone said this -
    As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now.

Actually the golden age was during the 50s and 60s, by the 70s the golden age of the burger had begun to wane under numerous pressures. Food police demonized it. McDonald's is the largest buyer of beef and has power over the cattle industry, even Schlosser says " the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the cleanest ground beef."

Penn State's studies show that youngsters fed large lunches and then offered "junk" food ate a great deal of of that food, while others ate none. What predicted how much they consumed? Whether their parents forbid high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. Those studies find that when children are told that a food is bad, they assume it must taste good and develop an appetite for it.

A few years back, I volunteered to cook supper at church once a week for a group of about 50 adults involved in a ministry.. I told my pastor that I wasn't going to do 'fast food'.. I did full meals with an entree that included a meat, a starch, a vegetable, salad, my own home made rolls, and a dessert.. While not low calorie by any stretch, it was not overtly unhealthy... I bought fresh ingredients as opposed to 'heat and eat' from a can..

A few months after I started, the children's activities were moved to the same night, and I just increased the amount of food that I cooked.. Then I began to get requests for 'kid friendly' food.. i.e. hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza... and I refused... I was cooking good 'family style' meals.. and the parents were asking me to give their children junk food.. Go figure...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

someone said this -
    As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now.

Actually the golden age was during the 50s and 60s, by the 70s the golden age of the burger had begun to wane under numerous pressures. Food police demonized it. McDonald's is the largest buyer of beef and has power over the cattle industry, even Schlosser says " the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the cleanest ground beef."

Penn State's studies show that youngsters fed large lunches and then offered "junk" food ate a great deal of of that food, while others ate none. What predicted how much they consumed? Whether their parents forbid high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. Those studies find that when children are told that a food is bad, they assume it must taste good and develop an appetite for it.

A few years back, I volunteered to cook supper at church once a week for a group of about 50 adults involved in a ministry.. I told my pastor that I wasn't going to do 'fast food'.. I did full meals with an entree that included a meat, a starch, a vegetable, salad, my own home made rolls, and a dessert.. While not low calorie by any stretch, it was not overtly unhealthy... I bought fresh ingredients as opposed to 'heat and eat' from a can..

A few months after I started, the children's activities were moved to the same night, and I just increased the amount of food that I cooked.. Then I began to get requests for 'kid friendly' food.. i.e. hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza... and I refused... I was cooking good 'family style' meals.. and the parents were asking me to give their children junk food.. Go figure...

Curious as to what h happend when you refused
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Pink slime? lol

Funny food hypocrisy
    By: J. Justin Wilson
    Newspaper: The Washington Times

Who could be in favor of eating “pink slime” or “bug juice”? Those are the clever hooks adopted by activist food snobs who raised ill-conceived firestorms about lean beef trimmings and cochineal red food dye.

Now that America has had a moment to recover from the sensationalism, it’s time to take a more sober look at the facts behind these slime campaigns. Contrary to the overhyped reports, lean beef trimmings make meals healthier, safer, cost-efficient and less animal-intensive. Cochineal food dyes, while derived from bugs, are actually all-natural replacements for artificial colors.

Right off the bat, the emphasis was on beef trimmings’ “yuck factor,” spurred along by a chorus of food snobs like cookbook author and columnist Mark Bittman, who urged the government on Twitter to outlaw lean beef trimmings on school lunch trays. Other activists who want meat off your plate, cream out of your coffee and leather off of your feet hyped up a campaign to get the all-natural dye out of Starbucks coffee drinks. Playing on fashionable prejudices against “processed food,” these people hoped to turn the “yuck factor” into an irrational boycott.

Because trimmings gross out gourmands and bug-derived dyes offend vegans, they feel themselves entitled to take the products away from consumers and even shutter the businesses that provide them.

But in slamming modern methods of food processing, these pundits can ironically contradict their philosophy’s own principles: making food safer, healthier and less animal-intensive.

Beef trimmings are just that: the trimmings left on the bone after primary cuts of beef are butchered. As any butcher will tell you, people have used and eaten trimmings in sausages and hamburger for centuries. Thanks to contemporary innovations, processors now have ways to remove the fat. That’s right: Some of the same food activists who paint Americans as fatty food addicts have turned around and decried a process that makes the oft-maligned hamburger leaner.

What about the safe, germ-killing treatment with ammonium hydroxide that also has come under criticism? The anti-germ process is actually widely used, in foods ranging from cheese to baked goods to chocolate candies.

Where’s the outrage? Nowhere – because ammonium hydroxide is used as an anti-bacterial agent that actually makes our food supply safer.

When it comes to lean beef trimmings, foodies are schizophrenic. On one hand, they generally lament that American farmers raise too many animals for food. Yet the same industries they tar are constantly researching and developing new ways to get more food out of the animals we eat.

By efficiently using more meat from each cow, lean beef trimmings sustainably reduce our environmental impact and our slaughter rates. Ridding trimmings from school lunches alone means food pundits are signing a death warrant for 10,000 cows, the number needed to replace the meat that otherwise might be thrown out. Eliminate trimmings on a nationwide basis, and one estimate says we’ll need to slaughter an additional 1.5 million cows a year.

Food snobs who make a living complaining about modern food processing are thrilled by the speed at which the attack on beef trimmings has gone viral on the Internet. Unfortunately, propaganda that passes for information moves so fast today that experts are handicapped getting the truth out. Meanwhile, rash decisions already have been made. Major supermarket chains, fearing a swift and ignorant reprisal, have announced that they will stop using lean beef trimmings.

It’s often said that a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. The distance traveled by bad information goes much farther and faster today.

J. Justin Wilson is senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom.
  • ECatherineS
    Options
    I've never eaten a big mac in my life, but now after just reading the title and finishing a spin class... I want one... reallllly bad.

x-all-the-y-meme-generator-eat-all-the-food-1c0eba.jpg
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love McDonald's...I get Happy Meals because they have a very reasonable calorie amount.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It is very hard to taste things when you are dead...just sayin.

I love me some Mickey D's cookies and smoothies!

You only live once, so I recommend you do it! support the cattle business!

ugh - the cattle business is one of the biggest contributors to global warming and environmental destruction, and the things they do to the cows is just gut-wrenchingly disgusting.

free range? go for it. factory farming cattle industry? just awful.

Environmental destruction? If environmental sustainability is a concern, start with companies that deplete the planet's resources and pollute air and water in order to produce products that decorate people's bodies rather than feed them? Jewelry? 20 tons of waste generated in producing a single golden ring?

http://maxandruffys.com/environmental-impacts-of-the-meat-industry/
    Interesting Facts to consider:

Nearly 800 million people could be fed by all the grain currently fed to US livestock(1)
    70% of United States grain goes to feeding farm animals(2)
    It takes almost 7 pounds of corn and soy to produce just one pound of pork(3)
    More than half of the water used for all purposes in the United States goes to livestock production(4)
    441 gallons of water is needed to produce one pound of meat(5)
    14 gallons of water is needed to produce one pound of wheat(5)
    Every pound of beef that is avoided can save 3,000 to 5,000 gallons of water(6)
    This industry is responsible for the contribution of:

37% percent of methane gases, a gas that has 23 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide;
    65% of nitrous oxide produced from manure, a gas that has 296 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide;
    and two-thirds or 64% of ammonia emissions, which contributes to acid rain and destruction of eco-systems(7).

sources are listed on the site.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    but even if you're right - by default that means it's not the cleanest beef on the market - as the poster who I was originally responding to claimed.

What does that even mean? Is it not "clean"?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I've never eaten a big mac in my life, but now after just reading the title and finishing a spin class... I want one... reallllly bad.

x-all-the-y-meme-generator-eat-all-the-food-1c0eba.jpg

Big Macs are the least tasty thing at McDonald's. Just get a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

someone said this -

Curious as to what h happend when you refused

After a time, the pastor decided to opt for pizza every week, and I quit cooking.. I suspect more than one someones complained to him... It's sad when parents abdicate to their children..
  • CoachReddy
    Options

What does that even mean? Is it not "clean"?

clean in food generally means higher quality, yes? why are you arguing with me instead of the poster who said it in the first place?

the argument was "McDonalds has the most buying power, therefore they can buy the best product"

I countered with "McDonalds has the most buying power, they can make sure the industry produces as cheap a product as possible that won't meet with media and consumer scrutiny"
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I haven't eaten McDonalds in 21 years, when I did it was just nuggets and fries. They're burgers are disgusting to me.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would never support that awful enterprise. Even if I liked their food!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I read the book Fast Food Nation and let me tell you, as long as we can swing it, I won't eat fast food again. There are basically NO regulations on those factories. And if there are, they are doing it all internally, just the paper work gets looked at, an outside company (USDA) does not go their own testing on the factories.

And, as soon as all the meat in my freezer is done, we are going to start buying all our meats from a local butcher shop that gets meat locally. I just may do the same with the eggs we consume.

Now, all that said, we are in week 3 of NO fast food, does that mean we will NEVER eat it.....nope, I just will do my best NOT to eat it. But every now and then.....you just gotta. :)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am SO freakin going to Burger king when I get out of work!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    There are basically NO regulations on those factories.

Go read The Jungle and then say that. I doubt if workers are disappearing into the grinding vats and large portions of the population are getting sick and dying by eating tainted McDonald's beef.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There are basically NO regulations on those factories.

Go read The Jungle and then say that. I doubt if workers are disappearing into the grinding vats and large portions of the population are getting sick and dying by eating tainted McDonald's beef.

I didn't say there were NONE. But some of these places have injured workers sign releases so they are not held responsible.

I'm just saying, it is WAY healthier to eat it at home if you make it yourself with out all the "extra" things they add to it that I won't have to add at home. Period.