McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    There are basically NO regulations on those factories.

Go read The Jungle and then say that. I doubt if workers are disappearing into the grinding vats and large portions of the population are getting sick and dying by eating tainted McDonald's beef.

I didn't say there were NONE. But some of these places have injured workers sign releases so they are not held responsible.

I'm just saying, it is WAY healthier to eat it at home if you make it yourself with out all the "extra" things they add to it that I won't have to add at home. Period.

there is a segment of MFP-ers who don't care about being healthy so much as staying in their macro and calorie limits. you won't convince them.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Big Macs are the least tasty thing at McDonald's. Just get a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

To each his own. I LOVE Big Macs. It's my favorite McDs item.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I just want the definition of elite, how you are using it. I really don't care what you eat or what you don't eat. I would just like to learn ONE thing from this silly thread. Elite???
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There are basically NO regulations on those factories.

Go read The Jungle and then say that. I doubt if workers are disappearing into the grinding vats and large portions of the population are getting sick and dying by eating tainted McDonald's beef.

I didn't say there were NONE. But some of these places have injured workers sign releases so they are not held responsible.

I'm just saying, it is WAY healthier to eat it at home if you make it yourself with out all the "extra" things they add to it that I won't have to add at home. Period.

there is a segment of MFP-ers who don't care about being healthy so much as staying in their macro and calorie limits. you won't convince them.
    I will admit, there are many days I don't stay in mine. But, I am trying to eat better.

FWIW I read a quick synopsis of The Jungle, in Fast Food Nation, they dedicate ALOT of time to the fact that these factories employ the low level of society many times. Meaning, immigrants and young people. The very people who are least likely to say anything.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I just want the definition of elite, how you are using it. I really don't care what you eat or what you don't eat. I would just like to learn ONE thing from this silly thread. Elite???

I didn't use that word in this thread. :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    arch-fat-people.jpg

kbaec9.jpg

supersize.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What extra things does McDonald's add to a hamburger?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

I didn't use that word in this thread. :)

I'm sorry, you are correct. It was jof. :embarassed:
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    I get Egg McMuffins on the Saturdays I have to drive to debate tournaments. One of those and a Greek yogurt makes for a delicious and protein filled meal. There's plenty of things on the menu that make for a good treat without too much damage.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

the gristle you've already admitted is included. 100% beef only means that it's all cow ingredients.
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    thanks,....now i want mcdonalds!! lol yum mcchicken and some fries with sweet and sour sauce,,,,,,oh how i miss you!
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Excuse me but I will take a stab at answering tiger boys question.

I believe they use MSG in the seasoning in their burgers.
    The link is a PDF with all of mickey d's favorite recipes. How to make a mcdonald's hamburger is there when you scroll and it says ALL hamburgers use Accent, which has MSG.

This is some thing you won't get from a home cooked meal. Also I am sensitive to MSG so it fks with my nervous system and makes my head feel funny if I eat to much of it. Also MSG builds up the more you eat it... Its not good all the way around therefore I agree with whom ever said its "way" healthier to eat at home. Remember when they took all the MSG out of baby foods? Anyways I eat lean beef so that helps too.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The link is a PDF with all of mickey d's favorite recipes. How to make a mcdonald's hamburger is there when you scroll and it says ALL hamburgers use Accent, which has MSG.

This is some thing you won't get from a home cooked meal. Also I am sensitive to MSG so it fks with my nervous system and makes my head feel funny if I eat to much of it. Also MSG builds up the more you eat it... Its not good all the way around therefore I agree with whom ever said its "way" healthier to eat at home. Remember when they took all the MSG out of baby foods? Anyways I eat lean beef so that helps too.

No.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Their Angus burgers, which I believe are being phased out, contain some yeast extract, but the standard beef patty, and the beef patty used in the Quarter Pounder, contain literally nothing but beef with a little salt and pepper added at cook time.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/alt.religion.scientology/yycNlsI562c[1-25-false]
  • jonnythan
    Options

the gristle you've already admitted is included. 100% beef only means that it's all cow ingredients.

Huh? What Gristle?

Here are the ingredients of their beef patties for the hamburgers and quarter pounders:

100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
    Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Huh? What Gristle?

Here are the ingredients of their beef patties for the hamburgers and quarter pounders:

http://www.jancho.com/discoverfoodorgsamples/2011/04/mcdonalds-100-beef-patty.html
    As stated above, McDonald’s beef patties are all beef, with only salt and pepper added. (Note, by comparison, that the fast food chain’s 100% Angus beef patties are prepared with a seasoning that contains more than thirty ingredients and additives.)

McDonald’s uses the phrase “USDA inspected” to suggest that its beef patties are safer or higher in quality than the average beef product. In fact all beef sold in the U.S. must be "USDA inspected"; it is required by law.

Grading, on the other hand, is voluntary, with grade being a factor of the degree of fat marbling in the cut of beef; the higher the fat content, the higher the grade. "Lower grades (Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner) are mainly ground or used in processed meat products” [Source: USDA].

don't you think if McDonalds beef was highly graded, they would market it as such?

You can have it be 100% beef and still be the very lowest quality beef available.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Huh? What Gristle?

http://www.jancho.com/discoverfoodorgsamples/2011/04/mcdonalds-100-beef-patty.html
    As stated above, McDonald’s beef patties are all beef, with only salt and pepper added. (Note, by comparison, that the fast food chain’s 100% Angus beef patties are prepared with a seasoning that contains more than thirty ingredients and additives.)

McDonald’s uses the phrase “USDA inspected” to suggest that its beef patties are safer or higher in quality than the average beef product. In fact all beef sold in the U.S. must be "USDA inspected"; it is required by law.

Grading, on the other hand, is voluntary, with grade being a factor of the degree of fat marbling in the cut of beef; the higher the fat content, the higher the grade. "Lower grades (Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner) are mainly ground or used in processed meat products” [Source: USDA].

don't you think if McDonalds beef was highly graded, they would market it as such?

You can have it be 100% beef and still be the very lowest quality beef available.

You're moving the target. The question was about "gristle." As you said, 100% beef is 100% beef. That's what their burgers are made of.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

No.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Their Angus burgers, which I believe are being phased out, contain some yeast extract, but the standard beef patty, and the beef patty used in the Quarter Pounder, contain literally nothing but beef with a little salt and pepper added at cook time.

Ya that's a newer pdf.. They are shady with telling you whats in the "Natural Flavor" which can contain msg.(condiments and such)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Huh? What Gristle?

You're moving the target. The question was about "gristle." As you said, 100% beef is 100% beef. That's what their burgers are made of.

you're right - i got your posts mixed up. we were talking about gristle in reference to pink slime - not the way the current burgers are produced.

but nonetheless, neither of us can prove the quality of the meat because that information isn't made available to the public. wonder why...
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... nice post... I guess I consider myself 'lucky' that my OCD is so bad that I havent eaten take out of any kind in the last 7 yrs (cant stomach the thought of 'strangers' preparing my food)

Enjoy in moderation :)