McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying, it is WAY healthier to eat it at home if you make it yourself with out all the "extra" things they add to it that I won't have to add at home. Period.

What extra things does McDonald's add to a hamburger?

Excuse me but I will take a stab at answering tiger boys question.

I believe they use MSG in the seasoning in their burgers.
    The link is a PDF with all of mickey d's favorite recipes. How to make a mcdonald's hamburger is there when you scroll and it says ALL hamburgers use Accent, which has MSG.

This is some thing you won't get from a home cooked meal. Also I am sensitive to MSG so it fks with my nervous system and makes my head feel funny if I eat to much of it. Also MSG builds up the more you eat it... Its not good all the way around therefore I agree with whom ever said its "way" healthier to eat at home. Remember when they took all the MSG out of baby foods? Anyways I eat lean beef so that helps too.

No.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/ingredientslist.pdf

Their Angus burgers, which I believe are being phased out, contain some yeast extract, but the standard beef patty, and the beef patty used in the Quarter Pounder, contain literally nothing but beef with a little salt and pepper added at cook time.

Ya that's a newer pdf.. They are shady with telling you whats in the "Natural Flavor" which can contain msg.(condiments and such)

There is no "natural flavor" in their burgers.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm just saying, it is WAY healthier to eat it at home if you make it yourself with out all the "extra" things they add to it that I won't have to add at home. Period.

the gristle you've already admitted is included. 100% beef only means that it's all cow ingredients.

Huh? What Gristle?

Here are the ingredients of their beef patties for the hamburgers and quarter pounders:

100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
    Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper)

http://www.jancho.com/discoverfoodorgsamples/2011/04/mcdonalds-100-beef-patty.html
    As stated above, McDonald’s beef patties are all beef, with only salt and pepper added. (Note, by comparison, that the fast food chain’s 100% Angus beef patties are prepared with a seasoning that contains more than thirty ingredients and additives.)

McDonald’s uses the phrase “USDA inspected” to suggest that its beef patties are safer or higher in quality than the average beef product. In fact all beef sold in the U.S. must be "USDA inspected"; it is required by law.

Grading, on the other hand, is voluntary, with grade being a factor of the degree of fat marbling in the cut of beef; the higher the fat content, the higher the grade. "Lower grades (Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner) are mainly ground or used in processed meat products” [Source: USDA].

don't you think if McDonalds beef was highly graded, they would market it as such?

You can have it be 100% beef and still be the very lowest quality beef available.

You're moving the target. The question was about "gristle." As you said, 100% beef is 100% beef. That's what their burgers are made of.

you're right - i got your posts mixed up. we were talking about gristle in reference to pink slime - not the way the current burgers are produced.

but nonetheless, neither of us can prove the quality of the meat because that information isn't made available to the public. wonder why...

Because it's irrelevant. The USDA grades concern marbling of the beef. When you're taking pretty much all of it and grinding it up, it doesn't matter that much.

There are a lot of reasons to avoid or condemn McD's. Saying their beef is substandard, contains ingredients it doesn't, doesn't rot, etc., is false and unnecessary.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

The link is a PDF with all of mickey d's favorite recipes. How to make a mcdonald's hamburger is there when you scroll and it says ALL hamburgers use Accent, which has MSG.

This is some thing you won't get from a home cooked meal. Also I am sensitive to MSG so it fks with my nervous system and makes my head feel funny if I eat to much of it. Also MSG builds up the more you eat it... Its not good all the way around therefore I agree with whom ever said its "way" healthier to eat at home. Remember when they took all the MSG out of baby foods? Anyways I eat lean beef so that helps too.

No.

Their Angus burgers, which I believe are being phased out, contain some yeast extract, but the standard beef patty, and the beef patty used in the Quarter Pounder, contain literally nothing but beef with a little salt and pepper added at cook time.

Ya that's a newer pdf.. They are shady with telling you whats in the "Natural Flavor" which can contain msg.(condiments and such)

Gotcha as the other guy pointed out, but there is in the condiments which usually goes hand in hand.. But then again we don't know for sure.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

No.

re-check their angus burgers. those do include flavoring.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

the gristle you've already admitted is included. 100% beef only means that it's all cow ingredients.

Huh? What Gristle?

Here are the ingredients of their beef patties for the hamburgers and quarter pounders:

100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
    Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper)

http://www.jancho.com/discoverfoodorgsamples/2011/04/mcdonalds-100-beef-patty.html
    As stated above, McDonald’s beef patties are all beef, with only salt and pepper added. (Note, by comparison, that the fast food chain’s 100% Angus beef patties are prepared with a seasoning that contains more than thirty ingredients and additives.)

McDonald’s uses the phrase “USDA inspected” to suggest that its beef patties are safer or higher in quality than the average beef product. In fact all beef sold in the U.S. must be "USDA inspected"; it is required by law.

Grading, on the other hand, is voluntary, with grade being a factor of the degree of fat marbling in the cut of beef; the higher the fat content, the higher the grade. "Lower grades (Standard, Commercial, Utility, Cutter, and Canner) are mainly ground or used in processed meat products” [Source: USDA].

don't you think if McDonalds beef was highly graded, they would market it as such?

You can have it be 100% beef and still be the very lowest quality beef available.

You're moving the target. The question was about "gristle." As you said, 100% beef is 100% beef. That's what their burgers are made of.

you're right - i got your posts mixed up. we were talking about gristle in reference to pink slime - not the way the current burgers are produced.

but nonetheless, neither of us can prove the quality of the meat because that information isn't made available to the public. wonder why...

Because it's irrelevant. The USDA grades concern marbling of the beef. When you're taking pretty much all of it and grinding it up, it doesn't matter that much.

There are a lot of reasons to avoid or condemn McD's. Saying their beef is substandard, contains ingredients it doesn't, doesn't rot, etc., is false and unnecessary.

absolutely there are worse reasons to avoid McD's than their beef, but the beef comes on a bun - that's the part that's got the really wacky ingredients.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    "We encourage customers to check these statements
    regularly as ingredients in menu items may change"

I'm loving it.. :laugh:

How about they just put up a sign that says eat at your own risk. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    pfft some of you all are crazy! A 6 piece nugget or a mcdouble is NOT enough for me for a meal, I'm always left hungry after fastfood because a tiny portion is so many calories. To fill me up I need like an angus burger and a medium fry. McDonalds just depresses me because when I crave a big greasy burger, it's just never enough when you want to watch your calories :(
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    When you have kids its tough to avoid.
    I eat half a plain hamburger and give the rest to the dogs.
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i seriously want some mcdonalds now, y'all are killing me!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how about no...

go to the store ..buy some meat, patty it, and throw it on the grill...

or are americans too lazy to do this anymore?
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    is fake food .it is as I seen these days on internet a chemistry experiment made on people -there is anything but natural stuff in that food, u d rather eat a plastic bag with a topping of glue ( is more or less the same).
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    When you have kids its tough to avoid.
    I eat half a plain hamburger and give the rest to the dogs.

Man its one thing to give it to your kids...... But the dog?!¿.. C'MON Man... That's just no way to treat mans best friend. LOL:smile:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Why not? Eat it.
    Fit it into your calorie goal and make sure you hit you target protein and fat numbers.

I'm gonna make it my goal to have every single meal as fast food one day next week while still staying within my calorie limit and hitting my macros numbers. It's gonna be the bomb.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    McDonald's = vomit food

Have you seen Super Size Me - the documentary?

Or the experiment with the McD hamburger and fries that has been sitting on a plate for two years without rotting?

Fast food sometimes, go for it. But McD... gross!

That could hardly be called a documentary since he lied. He refused to share his so called well kept food journals with any media. Seems a little McFishy to me.

Watch fathead for some counterbalance. It's on Netflix. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    pfft some of you all are crazy! A 6 piece nugget or a mcdouble is NOT enough for me for a meal, I'm always left hungry after fastfood because a tiny portion is so many calories. To fill me up I need like an angus burger and a medium fry. McDonalds just depresses me because when I crave a big greasy burger, it's just never enough when you want to watch your calories :(

My favorite meal at McD's on the more calorie-restricted days is either:

Grilled Chicken Classic, no mayo, with a fruit and yogurt parfait (450 calories, 31g protein)
    Grilled Chicken Caesar salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a parfait (380 calories, 31g protein)

Definitely enough food to fill you up. If I want to splurge, I get a double cheeseburger and a McChicken ;)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    how about no...

I eat it mainly because I like it, but if you saw some of my days you'd know how laughable "lazy" is.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    how about no...

I like the way this guys thinks. Yummm grilled hamburger FTW! :drinker:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how about no...

I eat it mainly because I like it, but if you saw some of my days you'd know how laughable "lazy" is.

i prefer to cook my food, but that is just me..

Fast food is driving the obesity/laziness epidemic in this country...
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid fast food (and a lot sit down restaurants as well) because the sodium levels are insane and I am very sensitive to sodium. Both my parents have hypertension too, so I need to watch it. Domino's (which is advertising to me right now!) is the worst. I end up waking up in the middle of the night needing to chug about a half a gallon of water if I have just 1 or 2 slices. I also end up feeling like crap for a couple days. Sure, you can link a bunch of studies that show how fast food is fine, but it does a number on me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    how about no...

i prefer to cook my food, but that is just me..

Fast food is driving the obesity/laziness epidemic in this country...

Hard to cook when you're nowhere near a kitchen from the time you get up to the time you go to bed.

But, still, nothing wrong with McDonald's. It's not "lazy" not to cook every meal for yourself.