McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about the quantity of the calories, but being healthy is all about the quality of them. I don't think an occasional McDonald's treat is necessarily a bad thing, but when you start turning too many of your nutritious meals into the empty calories offered at fast-food restaurants, your body will not thank you (even if you don't gain weight).
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Even when I ate meat, McDonalds wasn't a favourite. I preferred Burger King. You know what I do like about McDonalds though? Grimace. I love that guy!

this post!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about the quantity of the calories, but being healthy is all about the quality of them. I don't think an occasional McDonald's treat is necessarily a bad thing, but when you start turning too many of your nutritious meals into the empty calories offered at fast-food restaurants, your body will not thank you (even if you don't gain weight).

I wish more people understood this, but since they can't SEE the food affecting them they assume it isn't doing any harm. It's insidious that way.

But its bed time. Gnight yall.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Get a quarter pounder w/ cheese and an order of nuggets. You're welcome.

Reasonable advice.

Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about it lately. The funny thing is, in the last five years I've only been there once, and that was in Japan. And that was before I gave a flying rats behind about calories. I just did not like it, did not like that fast food smell and could not bring myself to eat it.

Now, after a month of clean living, I want it.
    I mean a cosi salad is 600 calories and I can get a crispy fried chicken for that.
    Egg McMuffin is only 300? My breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit is over that (really, take a look).
    Small fries are only 230??? That's crazy.

I'd certainly feel a lot more full eating there. But is it crazy?
    If I were you, I'd make my own version of McDonald's at home. You can buy lean, anti-biotic, grass fed beef, use a whole wheat bun or Ezekiel bun, make your own sauce out of sugar free ketchup, mustardm mayo and relish or buy low cal thousand island dressing and you've got a Big Mac. Make fries with real oil and sea salt. Yummo! Just one example, but anything you get at McDonald's you can make at home. Make your own nuggets. Coat them with clean coatings, etc.
    A "version" of McDonald's ISN'T McDonald's. It like when people say "turkey bacon" in place of real bacon. Turkey bacon ain't bacon.
    If someone wanted a hamburger, then can make one at home. If they want a McDonald's burger, they go to McDonald's. Doesn't kill one to have it occasionally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Ditto. Nuff said! Those nuggets cannot- I repeat, cannot- be duplicated!

....Plus, they got monopoly, man! It doesn't get any funner! I get sucked in every time, so I plan for that two weeks in October to be indulgence week. Mmmm.....
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Micro-nutrition I guess isn't important to some.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough fat? or enough calories? lack of either of those will have you craving high fat foods. The fact you only crave something when you're counting calories, suggests you're not getting enough of something in your diet.

Low fat diets are not healthy. For healthy fat, eat avocados, nuts, cold pressed olive oil, oily fish... etc

If it's too few calories, see the "in place of a road map" thread... this thread's gone 13 pages already so I'm sure someone has already posted it.
  • Imaginary1
    Options
    I get an Iced Hazelnut Coffee at McD's about three times a week. Yes, I am kinda addicted. :) Its 190 cals though which sucks seeing it's only a drink but whatever I manage to fit it in.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Do some people have no concept of macros?

The amount of time I read on the forums things like "Oh I could have a peice of fruit but it's like 100 calories so i'm just going to eat that chocolate bar"

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT CALORIES!!!!!

It's about eating nutrient dense foods. Your Egg Mc Muffin will in no way have the same macros as your regular breakfast.

Why not make your own salad at home? At least it won;t be full of ingredients in the chicken you cannot pronounce.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    If you do get McDonald's, just plan your calories before and after, accordingly. Also, plan what you will get well ahead of time (for calorie purposes).

Get their Chicken sandwich and small fry.

Overall, you can eat there, if you choose the right things (containing good amounts of protein and fiber) and keep within your overall calorie count for the day.

Good luck!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own salad at home? At least it won;t be full of ingredients in the chicken you cannot pronounce.

Technically, unless you raised your chicken and vegges yourself they are going to be chalk full of things that you cannot pronounce.

There is a lot of paranoia, fear mongering and just flat out ignorance when it comes to those scary chemical names and phosphates and all that.

Your chicken has been processed with cleaning fluids and has been touched by at least one chemical bath in the prep process. Not to mention all the chicken went through, ate, breathed in and lived in chemically and all that scary scientific stuff.

Your vegetables even if organic have most likely touched a chemical, salt, metal or some SCARY DEXLYTRYCLINE PHOSPHATE name of some sort.

I love it when people list chemicals from their foods and are like I AM NOT GOING TO TOUCH THAT ! Then throw some Sodium Chloride on it to make their potato taste better... Or some Glucose Fructose or monosaccharide / CH2OH2 in your coffee.. Maybe a little phenylethers,monoterpenes hydrocarbons sesquiterpenes for your corn to add some spice...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've read many times where people have advised, "if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it"...

...so I did something about it:

I practiced my pronunciation until I could pronounce them.

Problem solved.

:drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I've read many times where people have advised, "if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it"...

...so I did something about it:

I practiced my pronunciation until I could pronounce them.

Problem solved.

:drinker:
    But what if you have an accent?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Update -- I did it!

I had a chicken sandwich yesterday. I think I made the wrong choice. It had weird texture for chicken and not so great oily aftertaste. I have no desire to order it again. I guess I was just craving fat and this was the association in my mind.

BTW, I thought McDonalds in Japan was better. It had smaller portions, no signature fast food smell, looked super clean, and it had a small SINK right in the middle of it, so that you can was your hands before and after your meal without going to the bathroom. That is really convenient.

And it had a little special place to pour out your unfinished drink before you throw a cup in a trash. I mean how difficult is it to make those radical innovations here?
  • ExNihil0
    ExNihil0 Posts: 60
    Options
    I can't get past the giant *kitten* pretzel and 60 oz beer your holding in pp. Mcdonalds shouldnt be a problem.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Aww, you don't have to deprive yourself of what you like completely. I'd be so miserable. My husband and I wanted Rita's custard so we drove to go get it, and you know what? I felt so much better afterwards. I tried to eat mostly healthy yesterday, and I fit the custard within my calorie allotment. Deprivation often leads to binging so have small treats and fit them within your calorie allotment. :wink:
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's addictive - i haven't had a big mac in probably 10 years but... (insert drool)....

Wanna be cured?

Watch Supersize Me.

MV5BMTYyOTk4MjIxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk1NTUyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have McDonalds tonight.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the giant *kitten* pretzel and 60 oz beer your holding in pp. Mcdonalds shouldnt be a problem.

The beer only came in one size people! The picture was taken during Octoberfest in Munich. And you know what, after that 1 month long European vacation I did not gain a pound. And I drank beer at every meal except breakfast, never had one salad and stuffed myself with pastries in France. Go figure.