soup diet??

Options
so iv been doin research and it says to eat nothing but soup for 7-10 days.... has anyone actually tried this??? also does anyone have some good simple soup recipies for a slow cooker??? (crockpot) as i dont want to eat just canned stuff lol

Replies

• ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Soup is all I have for lunch most days. It works wonders. It fills you up but you can fit as many or as few calories as you need in it.

Here's a good recipe my partner makes (it has a ridiculously low caloric value):
    http://www.billandalex.us/recipe.php?name=Vegetable Soup (Low Calorie)
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Are you talking the hokey 80's cabbage soup diet or a real soup with actual protein, maybe some whole grains tossed in and vegetables?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eating soup is fine but why would you want to eat it for two weeks straight when you can eat all sorts of foods, keep within your calories, and still lose weight? Gimmicky diets tend not to work, as after you are done with your soup diet, you still have to figure out how to eat like a normal person.

However, I do love homemade soup and eat it for lunch at work all of the time!
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Eating just soups for 7-8 days will give you remarkable weight loss, but you will gain half of the pounds back , the pounds mostly you lose will be water and muscle,when you return to normal food.I have done that, but could not keep doing it for long, also became very weak...I don't know much but others might be able to help.This doesn't seem to be a healthy approach..
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Are you talking cabbage soup? Or healthy soup?

My mom did the cabbage soup diet in the late 90's, of course she had great results because she had nothing but the runs for 2 weeks.

But I love a good chicken noodle soup with whole grain pasta noodles and fresh veggies, simmered in the crock pot for a few hours. I also love a good venison stew with fresh veggies and tomato paste. Delicious and nutritious!
  • kara1990
    kara1990 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    actual soups with veg n meat in , lol not the cabbage one , dont think i could have that much cabbage lol xx
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love soup! It helps fill you up!
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    Options
    Dat ain't sustainable yo... You be gainin' all dat weight back once you stop eatin' dat soup
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I feel like all this would accomplish is making me hate soup.
  • kara1990
    kara1990 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have no trouble keeping the weight off once its off , i struggle with the loosing of it , and i plan to incorprate exercise too , and then return to healthy eating after the 7-10 days xx
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the "poop soup" diet from the 80's. You may lose a few lbs, but you gain it all back, once you go back to your regular eating habits.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    i have no trouble keeping the weight off once its off , i struggle with the loosing of it , and i plan to incorprate exercise too , and then return to healthy eating after the 7-10 days xx

If you plan on returning to eating healthy in a week and a half, you'd do better to just start that today. Doing otherwise will only prolong the development of healthy food choices.
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    diets do NOT WORK!!!! eating right and healthy DOES!!! ohh and exercising too...eating one thing for 7-10 days is only gonna mess you up IMO....you go from eating nothing to eating normally and its gonna screw with your system big time....do not fall into these "fad diets" they do not work....and if they do its only short term....think of long term....
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love soup. Search for a good butternut squash recipe... Nummy. I also like my lentil soup. 1 can rinsed washed lentils, 1 can tomato soup and 2 tins of water. 1 can Aylmers tomatoes with celery, onion and green pepper. 1 beef bouillon cube. Then go to town adding other veg (I use 1 large onion, bunch of celery, carrots, red pepper, cabbage, and whatever else is in the fridge). And then some pepper to taste, some minced garlic, a couple bay leaves, and parsley. The great thing about soup is you can experiment with flavourful pairings... It helped me learn how I liked to cook... Including things other than soup too.

Other soups I like... Split pea, taco soup, meatball soup, chicken rice, mushroom barley, cream of broccoli, and last week's tortellini soup I made for Lenten service at church. Mmmmm Mmmmm mmmmmm good.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I make low calorie chili, taco soup, chicken and noodles, tomato spinach brown rice soup, and chicken in rice soup in crockpot. We eat soup at least once a week in my household. I have a cookbook that is nothing but crockpot recipes. I review the recipe and then make a few changes to make the macros better.

Chili - Can of tomato juice(low sodium), a small can of tomato sauce, one can of dark red kidney beans, 1/2 lb of ground turkey cooked with spicy chili seasoning (you can make your own or buy a packet), and all goes into the crock to cook. This pretty basic because my hubby likes peanut butter sandwiches with his chili BUT you can change it up.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

If you plan on returning to eating healthy in a week and a half, you'd do better to just start that today. Doing otherwise will only prolong the development of healthy food choices.
    exactly this.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The only way this will make you lose weight is due to calorie lowering. Why would you want to do this? You can't live off soup for a week or more.

Don't look for quick fixes. The only reason to consume only soup is if you are sick or can't eat regular foods.

When you stop eating soup after those 7-10 days you will gain some if not all of the weight back. You will not be losing much fat during those days you only consume soup. Eat healthy now.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This!

But you'd like to incorporate some soup into your healthy lifestyle, skinnytaste.com has a lot of soups & many that are crockpot recipes (or have suggestions how to make it in a crockpot)
  • llaskoske
    llaskoske Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers was promoting the soup idea in the 90s. It was a cabbage based soup and you put in any kind of non-starchy vegetable you like (green beans, beets, carrots, etc.). You'd eat that for one or two meals a day. For variation, you could add potatoes or chicken and still have a relatively low calorie soup. I loved it and would vary the vegetables in it (peppers one week, spinach another, etc) to keep it interesting. I'd make a stock pot of it and freeze portions for the rest of the week. The downside, was that even using a small cabbage, it made so much that my freezer was full of frozen soup all the time.

You could eat this soup cold, hot or warm and it was still good, I'd recommend it as a kickstarter when you hit a plateau in dieting. You can even strain off the broth and use that as part of your liquids for the day in place of a fruit or vegetable juice.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh ya... Don't just do a soup diet... It's a fad diet. I just like soup as a way to get my veg in me and it can be part of a nutritious healthy well rounded meal plan. Just eat healthy under your needed calories and the weight will come off slowly but for the long term.