Replacing peanut butter with????

Options
12346»

Replies

• wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    buy peanut butter that is all natural and doesnt use hydrogenated oil

I'm just quoting you because I'm glad someone else has Vegeta in their ticker!!!

Also yes the natural and no added sugar or salt peanut butter is good too!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of Paleo's in this thread. I didn't know Paleo's had Internet :rolleyes

hahaha - I actually did lol
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Nutterbutter is more of healthy choice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just heard peanuts are bad for you. What kind of nuts/seeds should I replace my peanut butter with? Thats 16 grams of fat!

WHAT?!?!? Lies!!! :noway:

Peanut butter is uber good for you, though some may have added ingredients that are not. Just get an all natural peanut butter without much added.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Get rid of peanut butter all together...it is not even considered a nut and its not good for you regardless. I love almond butter and it mixes well in my protein shakes and spreads well! It comes in chunky organic which is awesome too!

Regardless of your personal preferences for a protein shake, the first sentence in your post is untrue. While technically peanuts are a legume, they are generally considered a nut. And they are a nutrient dense food and a good addition to most healthy diets.

Peanuts are a good source of fiber, protein, vitamin E and healthy fat. They contain resveratrol, plant sterols and other phytochemicals, which research is indicating have cardio-protective and cancer inhibiting properties, as well as B-vitamins, and folate and minerals such as zinc, magnesium, copper and selenium. And they have a low GI.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Get rid of peanut butter all together...it is not even considered a nut and its not good for you regardless. I love almond butter and it mixes well in my protein shakes and spreads well! It comes in chunky organic which is awesome too!

Regardless of your personal preferences for a protein shake, the first sentence in your post is untrue. While technically peanuts are a legume, they are generally considered a nut. And they are a nutrient dense food and a good addition to most healthy diets.

Peanuts are a good source of fiber, protein, vitamin E and healthy fat. They contain resveratrol, plant sterols and other phytochemicals, which research is indicating have cardio-protective and cancer inhibiting properties, as well as B-vitamins, and folate and minerals such as zinc, magnesium, copper and selenium. And they have a low GI.

Yep. You build a pretty good case for peanuts, but I just wish I could buy organic peanuts (which are extremely difficult to find--especially sourced from the U.S.). Then I could make my own organic peanut butter. Interestingly, my husband can eat organic peanut butter but regular peanut butter makes him sick. I love snacking on peanuts, but I refuse to eat regular ones, because of all the pesticide residue in them. Peanut farmers say that they would have a very poor crop without pesticides. :frown: Those who grow them organically just accept the loss of a large portion of their crop, and charge accordingly...$$$.
  • caroljlee12
    Options
    PB2 is a GREAT low cal substitution
  • jfazio22
    jfazio22 Posts: 15
    Options
    Not sure about making butter out of them but pecans are high in fat while being fairly moderate in carbs and protein. The ones I eat are 20g fat, 4g carb and 3g protein for 1 ounce. We do make almond butter with our blender and eat other nuts too. We are more primal then paleo and are new with the diet but I haven't seen a hindrance in our fitness goals by eating any of those nuts.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Replace peanut butter?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

^^THIS!!!! I just use natural PB now to eliminate the oils.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yep. You build a pretty good case for peanuts, but I just wish I could buy organic peanuts (which are extremely difficult to find--especially sourced from the U.S.). Then I could make my own organic peanut butter. Interestingly, my husband can eat organic peanut butter but regular peanut butter makes him sick. I love snacking on peanuts, but I refuse to eat regular ones, because of all the pesticide residue in them. Peanut farmers say that they would have a very poor crop without pesticides. :frown: Those who grow them organically just accept the loss of a large portion of their crop, and charge accordingly...$$$.

Amazon sells both organic peanuts and peanut butter. I didn't check them all out but at least one of the peanut butters is a US product.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a monocle so I ate some peanut butter instead.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Amazon sells both organic peanuts and peanut butter. I didn't check them all out but at least one of the peanut butters is a US product.

Great, thanks. Yeah, you have to watch peanuts because China is a very big exporter of peanuts and they irrigate their crops with surface water which is HEAVILY polluted. Full of heavy metals, PCBs---you name it. China has very rapidly become an industrial wasteland. 90% of their rivers are VERY very polluted. The Chinese government has recently admitted that they have whole cities that they call "cancer cities" because of the pollution. The anti-abortion protesters in China say that, in these cities, there are a LOT of deformed children born, who are then immediately killed at birth. :frown:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

who is this guy the planter nut guy on MFP????
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    air is bad for you too
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    While peanut butter isn't bad for you if you eat it in moderation, a good substitute is natural almond butter. You can also be sure to select natural peanut butter to avoid any added ingredients that may not be so great, like sugar.

I think that a lot of the bad rap peanut butter gets stems for the classification of peanuts as legumes rather than nuts in many Paleo diet books and low-carb diets...as long as you're eating a balanced diet, this is nothing to worry about.
  • bcattoes
    Options

who is this guy the planter nut guy on MFP????

Not a guy, just a peanut butter lover and defender.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    who did you hear that from? they must be nuts!