let's be real, here

Options

Replies

• Better4Summer
    Options
    No thats listening to your mind.. Many of us do not listen to our body hence bein over weight.

The problem here is that hunger isn't an accurate determinate of whether one should or shouldn't stop eating. Too many factors influence hunger.

Also in regards to your earlier post about being supportive.

There are many different kinds of support. I give the kind that is honest, direct, mildly sarcastic and if anyone finds that a little too much for them they can feel free to ignore me.

I won't lose any sleep over it.

I too am being honest here.. I dnt understand why people are gettin so upset here as I aint for one minute advocating eatin low cals i'am however saying nobody can tell someone that they are not full... And force feeding?? (what ever tickles yah pickle)
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    I'm one of those people you're talking about. Some people don't need as many calories as other people. The real reason I got to be overweight isn't because I was always hungry, it was because I WASN'T always hungry I just ate because I wanted to. I ate because I knew it would taste good. I ate because I was bored. I ate because I was mad/sad/bad/.. But not because I was hungry. Eating all that crap with no nutritional value doesn't trigger your body to feel full. Now that I'm eating more protein and healthy carbs, I'm not hungry that much anymore. I can differentiate between being hungry and just craving something. Like others stated, I'm not going to force myself to eat cheese and crap when I'm not hungry; that's how I got to this point in the first place. I thought the whole point of eating healthier/exercising is to be more in tune with our bodies?

Well said hun :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    No need to be rude, when you obviously have never experienced not being able to eat enough.

When I first started this and was fat, I didn't eat a lot of food, NEVER ate more than 2 pieces of pizza and I ate calorie dense fattening food and did not exercise. Once I started eating healthier, lower calorie foods, the amount I put into my stomach increased.

I don't know the exact calorie count but think of it this way: 1 cup of Velvetta macaroni and cheese or 4 cups of carrots. Yeah, that is why some new 'dieters' cannot reach 1200.

Now, worry about your own diet and help people if YOU have experienced the same situation. Otherwise, please MYOB.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Man we're still trying to be savior from the 1200 calorie thing? Do whatever you want to do idgaf
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I too am being honest here.. I dnt understand why people are gettin so upset here as I aint for one minute advocating eatin low cals i'am however saying nobody can tell someone that they are not full... And force feeding?? (what ever tickles yah pickle)

This would be valid if those very low calorie people weren't so insistent that they were full and couldn't possibly eat more. When your calories drop to a certain level, you HAVE to eat. It's a basic body survival thing.

Not eating enough will kill you. People die of starvation. This is not an unproven phenomena.

You'll see in a few months time why we are so insistent that people who eat extremely low calorie diets need to eat, hungry or not. It will shock you. It shocked me.
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    Have a bloody mary. Veg, plus alcohol.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Have a bloody mary. Veg, plus alcohol.

After this thread I could use one.

Make it a double.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No thats listening to your mind.. Many of us do not listen to our body hence bein over weight.

I beg to differ. My stomach rumbling is very clearly my BODY saying "Feed Me!" Even though that was on a way too frequent basis. It may have started as a "listening to my mind" thing but as my mind told my body to eat when it didn't NEED to, it trained my body to "need" feeding more often. So past a certain point it became absolutely "listening to my body" that kept piling on the pounds.

You're right. For many, it does become very much a physical thing. Like being addicted to drugs, and experiencing physiological symptoms. Sure it's the mind. But the body follows suit.

Again read what you wrote.. Its the mind!!! Your mind tells you that your hungry not your body (unless you are) nobody got large by actually being hungry..

I know exactly what I wrote. I didn't say it wasn't the mind. I agree with you in that. But I also believe that the mind and body are closely connected. It starts in the mind, but once it gets to a certain point, the body will begin to have the physical signs of hunger, because it's grown accustomed to having that food.

Weight loss also starts in the mind. And the body follows. Ideally, the body and mind will be on the same track, but that takes lots of practice.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No need to be rude, when you obviously have never experienced not being able to eat enough.

When I first started this and was fat, I didn't eat a lot of food, NEVER ate more than 2 pieces of pizza and I ate calorie dense fattening food and did not exercise. Once I started eating healthier, lower calorie foods, the amount I put into my stomach increased.

I don't know the exact calorie count but think of it this way: 1 cup of Velvetta macaroni and cheese or 4 cups of carrots. Yeah, that is why some new 'dieters' cannot reach 1200.

Now, worry about your own diet and help people if YOU have experienced the same situation. Otherwise, please MYOB.

Actually I have had experience with under eating and struggling to meet my calorie requirements.

Thanks for your assumptions though.

Very helpful.
  • Better4Summer
    Options

This would be valid if those very low calorie people weren't so insistent that they were full and couldn't possibly eat more. When your calories drop to a certain level, you HAVE to eat. It's a basic body survival thing.

Not eating enough will kill you. People die of starvation. This is not an unproven phenomena.

You'll see in a few months time why we are so insistent that people who eat extremely low calorie diets need to eat, hungry or not. It will shock you. It shocked me.

My point is valid... Dnt drag me into a convo I was not having.. I merely said you can not tell someone they aint full!!!! Now go back.. Read my posts again and then come back with a decent comment.
  • firenice24
    Options
    Agreed!! You folks aren't taking into account those of us who are at or near our goal weight. Your body doesn't necessarily need more than 1200 calories if that is all they need to sustain their weight. The larger you are, (i.e., example the 380 pound woman that says she needs 3200 calories and an hour walk per myfitnesspal's recommendation), vs. me at 150 wanting to lost 10 more pounds (myfitnesspal recommends about 1,250 calories a day).

In addition, not everyone on these sites has lost weight through exercise and diet changes alone. Some have had bariatric surgeries, others have health issues such as gastritis, have had colostomy, chrons, etc... Some people don't have the same stretched out stomachs that most American's have from the traditional eating habits. I have a hard time getting in my calories in a HEALTHY way because I have nearly no stomach after 4 surgeries and 12 scopes due to health problems.

Have some compassion people! Unless you've walked a mile in someone's shoes, perhaps you should ask a polite question instead of accusing people of being unhealthy, whining, or wanting attention. If you don't have the problem, then stay off that board and don't criticize. Deal with your own issues.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hell yes to this! Some days I just to have an extra 2 slices of bacon or another beer ba ha ha!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    i see so many threads about people who want to lose weight who "simply cannot eat all of the 1200 cal" allotment they they give themselves. they CANT! they are just SOOOO full!

sorry to sound mean, but i HIGHLY doubt that. those who gained weight (myself included) didnt gain weight from 1200 cals a day, or even 1500-1800 cals a day. we gained because we were far exceeding that range- and doing it often.

so many people just assume that to lose weight, we have to eat so little, so they try to program themselves to think they just cant eat more than that. The result? they end up eating in manner than will do more harm to their bodies than good. aside from internal bodily problems from eating so little, they are whittling away at their lean muscle mass, which in the end- doesnt look nearly as good as someone who is toned..

reading the forums- everyone swears between different calorie goals. im not saying you HAVE TO eat your TDEE, TDEE-20%, your BMR...etc. but stop kidding yourselves by saying you are just too full to get to the bare minimum of 1200ish. set your calories for something that is healthy and sustainable- and ACCURATELY TRACK your calories. the weight will come off- you dont have to starve yourself.

OMG. Shocked. Is this a piss take? :noway:

A genuinely sensible post about eating properly and using commmon sense. :bigsmile:

Whatever next! :drinker:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

Actually I have had experience with under eating and struggling to meet my calorie requirements.

Thanks for your assumptions though.

Very helpful.
    My comment was for the OP. :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have problems staying under 2500 cals... lol... I'd really like to meet someone who consistently stay under 1200.... Probably because I love food so much....
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    exactly! there isnt a sane person in the world who is too full for some wine or chocolate if they just simply cant reach the bar minimum calories :) or bacon...mmmmmm bacon

Wine, Chocolate and bacon...sounds like the perfect meal to me.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think you're missing something here. My main problem with eating was too many snacks between meals, and the wrong sorts of snacks like potato crisps, chocolate biscuits (cookies), etc, not to mention a healthy helping of fries with my meals. I could eat my daily allowance in snacks alone. Cut out the snacks and what are you left with? Apart from proof I didn't need them in the first place. Add in taking the unhealthy foods out of your diet and I find I can eat up to 300 cals below my MFP calculated allowance of 1580/day eating more or less what I ate before I started on the program so I often get to the end of the day (or calculate my evening meal in advance) and have to have a piece of chocolate, some nuts or even a beer so I am not too low. Feels wrong to eat more than you want, but I accept that's necessary. The longer I do it, the better I get at it admittedly but I fully understand people unable to make their calories.

i totally understand what you are saying. I guess our (i think i can speak for most people here) end goal is to be able to eat the healthy food along with treats that we love in moderation- so we dont have to completely eliminate those little things that we love and then possibly find it hard to reach a healthy calorie range. "moderation"- its a learning curve for us all.

i ate 1200-1400 a day for a year felt great the whole time...logged EVERYTHING so no i wasnt actaully eating 2000 and thought i was eating less...then when i got closer to my goal weight i incorperated different snacks or treats i wanted but for the first 6 months or so i did not cheat 1 time.....been at current weight for over a year and still toning and getting more defined eating 1800-2000 ......i cant stand when people say if you eat 1200 cals a day you will have negative side effects and even if you do lose weight you will gain it all back...its nonsense....ohh yeah i also didnt lift a single weight the first 6 months and did nothing but cardio..........look at my pics and tell me if my body ate all my muscles
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    Sorry but I disagree here...

Who are any of us to judge if someone else is full?

We are here to support not judge surely!

This is my first post on this subject.. Thats all I said.. Enough said!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    changing to a healthy diet is about realising what food is and how it affects your body, everyone has a starting point, at first youll find people eating salad and chicken like it's going out of fashion, others will hit diet pills and all the rest of it, ultimately what every person needs to realise is it's not a quick fix, if you eat 400 calories a day you'll lose weight and probably die, if you eat your required calories to lose weight and maintain it when you have lost the weight you'll get to your goal, excersize is important in how you appear and to get the BF% down to the 20's or even teens but finding out what works food wise for yourself is part of the process, if all you've eaten is pizza and mcdonalds for 20 years it's not likely you'll know what you can eat that is healthy and you enjoy eating whilst hitting a sensible calorie total everyday at the same time

i don't think a thread is needed for moaning about the matter, it's no different to someone asking about what types of excersize to do or recipe ideas for a favourite meat or whatever

the idea of a forum is to share ideas, if someone is struggling to get to grips with eating less but still enough with nice food they enjoy, or they're not hitting a macro in a given amount of calories, they're probably going to ask for some tips

lighten up.... it's a forum about weight loss and nutrition expect questions in these areas... or just ignore those posts?
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am a small person under all my fat. I am barely 5"1' and small boned. I really don't need more than 1200 calories. (I rarely if ever announce to people how much or how little I eat or that I am full...why would I ?) And I do feel full at the end of the day. Full feels different than when I ate crap all day long. I would rather say I feel satisfied at the end of the day. It is truly amazing how much I can eat in a day of healthy fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains and meat. My family thinks I am eating constantly. And I am because I am choosing the right foods. At the end of the day when I don't have enough calories, I eat my dark chocolate! mmmmm! Everyone's body is different. After a while, 1200 calories can feel like alot. Your stomach really shrinks after doing this for a long period of time. I am not sure if I were a bigger person this would be true. But it's true for me. No starving here, and under and doctors care. Find what's right for you. Be active, eat nuritiously and have fun. Good luck all!:flowerforyou: