Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No, well not on purpose anyway. I want to lose weight too badly to put on a show for people on the internet, if I eat it, I log it (unless it's gum, I figure I burn those calories walking the wrapper to the trash can) but I have forgotten to log something before, I usually go back the day after and add it though.
  • meidie1980
    meidie1980 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No, i would then only lie to myself so there is no point to lie.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm honest enough with myself to say "yeah.. you ate that, and THAT much of it." As long as you stick to YOUR goal, no big deal.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would never lie. What's the point? I am doing this for me and what good does it do to lie about what I really did? That won't change the end result....
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a big person eating a steady 800 calories a day because I had weight loss surgery - these people may have had the same and are not sharing that aspect of their weight loss so I wouldnt be so fast to say that they are lying.

You are right. I have a friend who had the surgery and he eats very little before he is stuffed and really has to watch what he eats/drinks because he can't overeat. I was amazed the first time I sat down to a meal with him after his surgery and thought he was starving himself - I've learned. It's just amazing to watch a 6'7" man eat a starter salad and stuggle to finish it, or drink a glass of water too soon before a meal and then have no room for food.

You do what you need to do and don't worry about everyone else's opinions. Just stay healthy.:flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    When I track, it's accurate. Even down to the third glass of wine.

Sometimes I get lazy though and don't track. For example, when I'm in class from 7:30am - 7pm every other weekend I'm too crazed to sit down and log calories. I would guess those are the days I tend to go over, but I try to be pretty careful about what I eat.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I know mine was real low yesterday,but I just wasn't hungry.Supper wasn't cooked until late and I didn't want to go to bed after eating that late..So I know I didn't get my calorie intake in yesterday..I am honest on my diary , I log everything that goes in my mouth down to a small piece of hard candy...oops I lied..I haven't logged my gum I chew during my workouts..But thats it..Some may lie, but if they do..they are only hurting themselves..
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    And chances are, even if you 'lie' subconciously I think you are making better choices than before since youve made the step to log things....
  • MichelleF115
    MichelleF115 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm new - could you please explain what 'Insanity' is?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people would want to lie on their food diary. You are only cheating yourself.

^^This
    I think it was about the second day I was here, probably about 3/13/12, that I had my epiphany that really woke me up to what I had to do to succeed. Log everything. If I didn't, I would only be "cheating" myself, who else would ultimately, really care. This and another epiphany at the same moment, "you are 60 years old, if you don't do it now, just when are you going to do it. Almost a year later, and these two things are still keeping me focused on my ultimate goal, except I am a year older.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I lost 15-20 lbs using My Fitness Pal. It helped me then, and it's helping me now, only because I log in my calories. Knowing that i have to write it down is what keeps me from over eating. But, I'll admit that on days when I over eat, I don't log-in.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It happens.

I didn't finish a beer last night, but I logged the whole 12 ounces. This happens a lot with me because carbonated beverages make me feel full. Or I am just too tired to drink the beer that was opened for me.

But I am sure there are small things here and there that don't get counted or that I underestimated (like ice cream, which can vary greatly with just a few spoonfuls, and the single goldfish cracker my 2-year old makes me eat or she'll cry).

It all evens out in the wash for me.

Yes, there are lots of people who lie to themselves. All you can do is worry about you and not lie to yourself. Too much worry about the masses will only make you depressed.

(edited for typos because I'm not fully awake today.)
  • fitnessjoes
    Options
    Honestly I forget to log stuf sometimes but sometimes I will log a walk that I did just to eat something else...
  • fitnessjoes
    Options
    Honestly I forget to log stuff sometimes but sometimes I will log a walk that I did just to eat something else...
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    your progress is awesome...
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even my "spike" days. I like to see trends. I think it's really more important to look at the week's averages on the bar graph than picking apart each individual day calorie-wise (but making the best choices you can for each day).

To leave room for celebrations or break days, I try not to overeat on days when I am not hungry, and let myself eat more on days when I feel ravenous. Irregardless, to make healthy-ish choices (controlled portions).

I do not think a large person will last long on those calories. You certainly can't exercise and build lean body mass that will support great metabolism based on so few calories. I wonder if this is their net calories or their total calories.
  • Calviar2
    Calviar2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am one that posts daily and my calories are right at 900 consistantly, but I'm post VSG as many other MFP are, so this limits your consumption. If you're seeing low cal logging daily chances they are also post bariatric surgery.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Purposely lie? No. Guesstimate occasionally or forget something? It's happened. When I first started, I was incredibly ocd about tracking every single spice, mint, etc....I drove myself crazy. I don't have a food scale, so darn near everything I eat is an approximation. I don't have a heart rate monitor, so my exercise is also just an estimate. So long as I still make positive progress, I'm not going to worry about it.
  • wantingmeback
    Options
    What's the point, who would you be lying to? I do know when I first started here I was averaging 900 calories a day thinking I was doing a good thing, maybe the people who log 1000 don't realize the harm they are doing :flowerforyou:

THIS!!
    I find it so dang hard to hit the right amount of calories...... and I try really hard but I can not and wont force myself to eat when I am not hungry. I drink a lot of water all day and just don't get hungry....... what do i need to do?? I am loosing weight but I don't want to hurt myself in the long run. I have always been a picky eater and don't really like the taste or texture of meat.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I sometimes didn't log zero calorie things at first- if I had more than one diet soda in a day I'd log one but sometimes not the second one. Although that has recently changed since I've been thinking of looking for input on my diet and I figure I need to be honest if I'm going to get helpful advice.