What do you eat when you're starving but short on calories?

Options

Replies

• SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm drinking Dr. Pepper right now... so... dammit. ><
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Great ideas in this thread... thank you!

Tea makes me even more hungry though so that's out. I ended up having some fresh salsa (just with a spoon!) and had dinner earlier (chicken breasts and cauliflower and a cheese stick) and ended up 28 calories over goal without counting exercise. So not bad.

Unfortunately when it happens I can't just go out and walk/run/workout most of the time because I have to take care of my kids!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat and go over my calories.

^^^^

Seriously. If you're hungry, you're hungry. Try to make good, healthy choices, but there's no need to sit there and tip toe around your calories. Going over some won't kill you.
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to keep raw veggies cubed up in the fridge for low-cal snacking. Zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, broccoli...any of those will let you munch as long as you want to without adding a big chunk of calories.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.visualnews.com/2013/02/22/visualizing-200-calories-same-food-portion-same-plate/

Check this out. Saw where someone else posted it a while back but it could help you here.
  • jlbary00
    jlbary00 Posts: 8
    Options
    Proteins are what make you feel full...so something high in protein like a shake, PB, eggs, etc.
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    sliced cucumbers with a little vinger, salt and pepper to taste ( you can eat the whole cumcumber for about 35 calories...or sargento light string cheese its good and keeps you satisfied until the next meal its only 50 calories
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My new fav snack is cucumbers the small ones like four in a pack and ranch dressing. Yummo.
  • karivarner
    Options
    I throw a cup of V8 in the microwave with a couple dashes of hot sauce in it.
    If I am on the run, it is a spoon of peanut butter & an apple.
    If your really hungry, boost you protien for those days, it really helps.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hot tea with a bit of almond milk fills me for a bit. I also eat carrot sticks dipped in mustard. Or egg whites (I'm lazy and buy them in a carton) with hot sauce, onions, spinach, and mushrooms.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    It's really really easy.

Just listen to your body.

There are all these suggestions on here of how to get around the fact that you're hungry and to trick your body into thinking it's full. In what world does that make sense? Your body doesnt lie to you. If it says it's hungry to the point where you're "starving" then that means it's looking for nutrients! What do you think knows your calorie needs better: your body or a website?

If you're hungry, dont avoid it by eating cucumbers, drinking water, or any of the other tricks - give it the nutrients it's looking for and eat.

You'll feel better, and it won't affect your weight loss. :)
  • BLF91
    BLF91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Strawberrys with a sprinkle are my saviour. I don't chop the strawberry up, keep them whole and it makes you think your eating more. You can also eat quite a lot for very few calories, your upping your fruit intake whilst also satisfying any sugar cravings :)
  • BLF91
    BLF91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    *** sprinkle of sugar ***
  • bennslora
    bennslora Posts: 11
    Options
    To stay full, I really enjoy Fage yogurt, or any kind of greek yogurt. I eat the plain and add a splenda and a flavor such as vanilla, or raspberry. This yogurt is full of protein and helps fill me up.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    String cheese stick. Short on calories, good protein source.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For when I'm not exactly hungry, just need something in my mouth I go for sugarfree sweets or chewing gum, or brush my teeth.

If I'm hungry - diet jelly, sugarfree chocolate, radish or cucumber. Low fat cottage cheese with some chopped fruit is really yummy.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    FYI, you can safely eat an extra 359 - 500 calories during TOM. Our metabolism increases by that much. Relax, give into your cravings.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters. Don't really like them but they work and are very low in calories. Sometimes I eat them before I go out so I don't over eat.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad first and then if I am still hungry I will get something.