So Many Nerds! <3 Calling all Nerds

Options

Replies

• fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Same here, girl! I am all about some horror movies.

I have been working my way through Asian horror lately. Seen anything good I should know about?
  • animelose2012
    Options
    anime and manga nerd here. love to cosplay and play rpg video games. love reading manga and watching tv. going to cons. iam so nerdy my co workers game me the nickname doulbe ll after a harry potter character. Add me! I am on every day!
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Nerd -implies creative and critical thinker

Geek -implies some abnormal obsession

Dork -implies socially awkward

\ (^_^) /
  • xSassy71x
    xSassy71x Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nerd here. Love mmorpg's, Walking Dead, Morrowwind / Skyrim, Scifi anything, Fantasy books, you name it. My XBOX is my best friend!
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Urban Dictionary: geek
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geek
    A geek is a person who is socially excluded from a general population. Unlike nerds, geeks do not necessarily have to be smart.

Urban Dictionary: Nerd
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerd
    A person who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or complicated for most other people to be bothered with.

Urban Dictionary: dork
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dork
    Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.

according to these definitions, I'd say Nerd/Dork for me. Not geek.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I definitely have some nerdy tendencies.

I'm a gamer. I devour any Elder Scroll game and still play my N64 all the time. Currently playing Majora's Mask. :) I also like Pokemon and play DDR/Stepmania/ITG.

I'm definitely a movie nerd. I love anything from Studio Ghibli and Disney to horror to stupid comedy. Some of my favourites are Oldboy, Spirited Away, Paprika, Ratatouille, Drag Me to Hell and Cabin in the Woods.

And I love making stuff. I'm an artist, graphic designer and face painter. I also make my own cold-process soap, cross-stitch, make jewelry, and paint on any surface possible. And I love to cook.

I have a lot of hobbies. :/
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Same here, girl! I am all about some horror movies.

I have been working my way through Asian horror lately. Seen anything good I should know about?

Oldboy, Three Extremes and The Host are my favourites.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    quote]
    i don't like today's definition of nerd. it used to be somebody who studies really hard and gets good grades. not someone who watches star trek or collects stamps.
    [/quote]
    Why do you assume those that love Star Trek or collect stamps are not smart? A person can have hobbies and things they enjoy while still being intelligent. I love Star Trek and would watch it every night while going through school and yet I excelled.
    I was in AP, the marching band , I can speak two languages, play multiple instruments etc. I think you're judging a bit too quickly. I love learning on a continual basis but I also enjoy other things as well. People lists things they enjoy doing because it's almost a given that certain types of people like certain types of things and generally a place of common ground.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    reporting for duty.

Im a computer programmer, video game playing, ninja. Please feel free to add me
  • Nemilicious
    Options
    For all the StarCraft lovers out there ---> http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/starcraft-races-study/

"We poison our air and water to weed out the weak! We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere! We nailed our GOD to a stick! Do NOT F**K with the human race!" HELL YEAH!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    oh and may i say that i speak 5 languages fluently

ERMAHGERD I'm so jealous! My dream job is to be an interpreter. I speak English and Spanish fluently and can carry on in French (been self teaching myself after graduating college since the grammar is ridiculously similar to Spanish).
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    oh and may i say that i speak 5 languages fluently

ERMAHGERD I'm so jealous! My dream job is to be an interpreter. I speak English and Spanish fluently and can carry on in French (been self teaching myself after graduating college since the grammar is ridiculously similar to Spanish).

Everybody wants to be her right now... :)
  • justjean
    justjean Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    quote]
    i don't like today's definition of nerd. it used to be somebody who studies really hard and gets good grades. not someone who watches star trek or collects stamps.
    Why do you assume those that love Star Trek or collect stamps are not smart? A person can have hobbies and things they enjoy while still being intelligent. I love Star Trek and would watch it every night while going through school and yet I excelled.
    I was in AP, the marching band , I can speak two languages, play multiple instruments etc. I think you're judging a bit too quickly. I love learning on a continual basis but I also enjoy other things as well. People lists things they enjoy doing because it's almost a given that certain types of people like certain types of things and generally a place of common ground.
    [/quote]

Haha, I agree. I'm not the best nerd in terms of doing math..actually very bad at it. But I love art and theory and I read dry material all the time for school while trying to play Settlers of Catan online on the side. Being a nerd this day in age is so different.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    A geek is a person who is socially excluded from a general population. Unlike nerds, geeks do not necessarily have to be smart.

A person who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or complicated for most other people to be bothered with.

Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.

Sounds about right. Nerd/Dork for sure...
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Sounds about right. Nerd/Dork for sure...

I disagree. I think a GEEK is into odd interests. A dork is socially excluded. Hence the term "geeking out" and "sci fi geek" "drama geek", etc
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a Nerdfighter! We fight with our brains and bring the fracking pain! DFTBA
  • clrnt1
    clrnt1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Fellow nerd at your service! Big whovian.

Me too!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Walking Dead. Count me in. Add me Nerd girl. We all have a bit of Nerd in us!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a dork, maybe a geek. Does that still count?
  • totoro808
    Options
    Count me in. Read comics, go to anime conventions and am 35 years old. i knew one day nerds would rule the world.