let's be real, here

Options

Replies

• justagrrl898
    Options
    I LOVE this!! I ate so well today I AM having ice cream!!! I didnt get overweight by NOT eating.....so if I ate all good foods and veggies in a day Im rewarding myself with Ice cream if I have the calories left over.
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You know, I was talking about this fairly recently with a work partner. The more mindful I become of my own nutritional needs, the more I realize how deeply problematic our eating habits really are.

I think that the main reason that people feel so full when they're eating a low-calorie diet of ~1200 calories is because they're being conscious of what they're putting into their bodies. Its easy to graze throughout the day and over-eat the wrong foods because you're not thinking about it, but much harder to concentrate and actively consume things that are healthy and nutritious.

For a lot of people, eating healthfully is a totally new and probably daunting task and reconfiguring your eating habits obviously isn't easy. The fact that 1200 calories is toted as being the a sustainable and healthy route is pretty messed up, too. I think the problem is less that folks feel like they're "too full" to eat 1200 calories per day, but that they have a mental block due to a lifetime of misinformation regarding what their bodies actually need to be at their best. I'm really liking the forums and blogs here because having access to so much educational material has totally changed the way that I look at eating.

OMG^^^ Yea! when i try to plan a meal for the day i can never really reach 1500 (on paper) .... but when i dont plan and just track what i eat, its so easy to hit likr 1700-2000 for the day! but when i make mind ful choices (without following a paper plan) i can always hit my 1500-1600. lol..... but i like the Wine idea,,,,:wink: im gonna try that tonight! :drinker:
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    your body doesn't run on 700 calories just becuase you decided it would.

keep it off the forums becuase it's obnoxious.

Really? I think there are a few billion people in third world countries that would disagree with you on that.

Yes and they are the pinnacle of good health?

Interesting those who are lean (not necessarily muscled, I AM NOT SAYING THAT) all say eat more and those that are holding more fat are trying to argue the point that it is better to eat less. Indeed those in the know ALL say eat more.

Carry on tho, I'm sure you are happy doing what you are doing and me the same, makes no bones to me.
    [/

Where have I said it is BETTER to eat less... Go back and read all my posts dude!!
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    Where have I said it is BETTER to eat less... Go back and read all my posts dude!!
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Honestly, there are some days where I eat the basic 1,200 calories and I am 100% satisfied. Sure, I didn't get here by doing that. In the past I have had a crappy diet and ate as many calories as I wanted. That is the habit that many people are trying to break.

I posted to my news feed just yesterday that I was having a hard time eating enough calories. My goal is set to 1,200 and I consumed 1,400. However, I burned 1,500 calories. Had I been hungry I would have gladly eaten the required amount to get the correct net calories. I just wasn't hungry. I don't drink, so no wine. I just busted my *kitten* at the gym and ice cream was the very last thing on my mind. In fact, I had already eaten two slices of pizza for dinner instead of grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies just to up my calories.

I am not trying to eat under or have a defecit. I am just not hungry. I make good choices throughout the day, drink lots of water, and stay full. I don't feel hungry. So yes, sometimes meeting the calorie goal is a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    Good point ;)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I didn't quote you.

FWIW I have a friend who was a very low eater for years and this is what she said to me about the years she ate too few calories and the result of doing so, based on help from her doctor:

"Bad for women wanting to have children in the near future xx i was a recovering anorexic and was on low calories for long time affected skin hair nails moods bowels periods everything started affecting heart , liver n kidneys and have still got problems with teeth and was told will have osteoporosi"
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    I have not managed to eat my cals so you are aiming that @ me..
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    i see so many threads about people who want to lose weight who "simply cannot eat all of the 1200 cal" allotment they they give themselves. they CANT! they are just SOOOO full!

sorry to sound mean, but i HIGHLY doubt that. those who gained weight (myself included) didnt gain weight from 1200 cals a day, or even 1500-1800 cals a day. we gained because we were far exceeding that range- and doing it often.

so many people just assume that to lose weight, we have to eat so little, so they try to program themselves to think they just cant eat more than that. The result? they end up eating in manner than will do more harm to their bodies than good. aside from internal bodily problems from eating so little, they are whittling away at their lean muscle mass, which in the end- doesnt look nearly as good as someone who is toned..

reading the forums- everyone swears between different calorie goals. im not saying you HAVE TO eat your TDEE, TDEE-20%, your BMR...etc. but stop kidding yourselves by saying you are just too full to get to the bare minimum of 1200ish. set your calories for something that is healthy and sustainable- and ACCURATELY TRACK your calories. the weight will come off- you dont have to starve yourself.

1. If you click on a link that someone posts saying they have trouble eating that many calories, and it bothers you then odds are you shouldn't have clicked on it.

If it doesn't effect you personally, then don't be bothered by it so much and just keep on walking.

2. Obviously people changed their eating habits after they got fat because decided they wanted to get fit.

3. When you cut out added sugar, carbs that come from starchy veg, pastas, breads etc... and eat a high fat/moderate protein diet it's very easy to eat under 1200 calories because fat and protein are so satiating. Now pay attention here - I'm not saying no carbs, I'm saying a low amount of carbs that come exclusively from leafy green veggies.

4. For someone on a Keto or Atkins type of diet it's not as simple as filling up said calories and it can be hard when: 1. you're not hungry, and 2. eating a bowl of ice cream or drinking a glass of wine is not a healthy option, nor is it conducive to said life style.

People sometimes need advice.

5. You assume that people don't track their stuff right, but tons of people (myself included) weigh out things with a digi and are very meticulous and particular about their diaries. Just because you can't seem to fathom how people can stay full on 1200 calories a day, doesn't mean it isn't possible, and it doesn't mean that people who eat at or slightly below 1200 calories are feeling like they're starving or there is something mentally wrong with them.

6. Why do some people eat this way? Well, they could be diabetic, sensitive to carbs, have epilepsy or a host of other reasons. I'm not going to sit here and argue about whether to diet is healthy or not, but if you're eating less junk food and more veggies / meats I really don't see how it couldn't be healthier than loading up on pastries, ice cream and pizza.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not advocating eating below 1200 calories, but if someone is eating 1200 calories a day, it's not the end of the world.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    I have been 6 stone and now i'm the other end of the spectrum so I know what it is like now i'm trying to find a balance.. My goal is 1350 but i'am full on less then 1000 today.. Pretty sure this will level out over the week but all i'm trying to say is it is easily done.. End off.. I dnt intend to do it daily but if it happens it happens!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Don't click on those posts then.
  • tabstar81
    tabstar81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I am a big girl and my nutricianist put me at 1900 cal/day. If i chose to eat badly I can easily excedd that amount, but choosing not too at times I find myself with calories to spare and thats a good thing! Keep it up guy & to those who want to fake the funk, its their loss in the end.
  • Better4Summer
    Options
    i see so many threads about people who want to lose weight who "simply cannot eat all of the 1200 cal" allotment they they give themselves. they CANT! they are just SOOOO full!

sorry to sound mean, but i HIGHLY doubt that. those who gained weight (myself included) didnt gain weight from 1200 cals a day, or even 1500-1800 cals a day. we gained because we were far exceeding that range- and doing it often.

so many people just assume that to lose weight, we have to eat so little, so they try to program themselves to think they just cant eat more than that. The result? they end up eating in manner than will do more harm to their bodies than good. aside from internal bodily problems from eating so little, they are whittling away at their lean muscle mass, which in the end- doesnt look nearly as good as someone who is toned..

reading the forums- everyone swears between different calorie goals. im not saying you HAVE TO eat your TDEE, TDEE-20%, your BMR...etc. but stop kidding yourselves by saying you are just too full to get to the bare minimum of 1200ish. set your calories for something that is healthy and sustainable- and ACCURATELY TRACK your calories. the weight will come off- you dont have to starve yourself.

1. If you click on a link that someone posts saying they have trouble eating that many calories, and it bothers you then odds are you shouldn't have clicked on it.

If it doesn't effect you personally, then don't be bothered by it so much and just keep on walking.

2. Obviously people changed their eating habits after they got fat because decided they wanted to get fit.

3. When you cut out added sugar, carbs that come from starchy veg, pastas, breads etc... and eat a high fat/moderate protein diet it's very easy to eat under 1200 calories because fat and protein are so satiating. Now pay attention here - I'm not saying no carbs, I'm saying a low amount of carbs that come exclusively from leafy green veggies.

4. For someone on a Keto or Atkins type of diet it's not as simple as filling up said calories and it can be hard when: 1. you're not hungry, and 2. eating a bowl of ice cream or drinking a glass of wine is not a healthy option, nor is it conducive to said life style.

5. You assume that people don't track their stuff right, but tons of people (myself included) weigh out things with a digi and are very meticulous and particular about their diaries. Just because you can't seem to fathom how people can stay full on 1200 calories a day, doesn't mean it isn't possible, and it doesn't mean that people who eat at or slightly below 1200 calories are feeling like they're starving or there is something mentally wrong with them.

6. Why do some people eat this way? Well, they could be diabetic, sensitive to carbs, have epilepsy or a host of other reasons. I'm not going to sit here and argue about whether to diet is healthy or not, but if you're eating less junk food and more veggies / meats I really don't see how it couldn't be healthier than loading up on pastries, ice cream and pizza.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not advocating eating below 1200 calories, but if someone is eating 1200 calories a day, it's not the end of the world.

Well said hun :) I ain wastin my time here.. You woulld swear blind I set up a advertisement to eat 300 cals :-/
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Perhaps people are trying to help others be healthy and not damage themselves. Just because a large group of people do the same thing, does not make the thing they are doing NOT stupid. It is. It IS damaging done in the long term.

It is about being healthy inside and out.

Then you need to adjust the diet so you are eating your required amounts of food. Eating not enough is in the long term as eating too much. This is where I bare issue. A few weeks won't matter, months, yes, it will.

This is what is being given.

Then eat more calorie dense food.

Is isn't healthy eating not enough, just as eating too much is not. Both ways are fine in the short term, bad in the long term.

No but then as someone who understands the human body it would be wrong of me to sit back and at least not try to impart some advice that will help people in the long run.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Actually, it makes sense that people feel fuller and may have an issue getting as many calories if they majorly changed what they are eating.

You can eat a lot of high calorie processed food and have it not make you full.

Switching to whole and non-processed food often results in being much more full and for longer while taking in fewer calories.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I have been 6 stone and now i'm the other end of the spectrum so I know what it is like now i'm trying to find a balance.. My goal is 1350 but i'am full on less then 1000 today.. Pretty sure this will level out over the week but all i'm trying to say is it is easily done.. End off.. I dnt intend to do it daily but if it happens it happens!!

So clearly someone who has an excellent history in weight management/eating disorders is the perfect person impart advice on others about eating sensible amounts?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but look at it in the cold light of day.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you've eaten all your "healthy" foods for the day and still "can't" reach 1200 calories . . . . .

Have some f****ing ice cream.

Or wine.

Jesus.

Amen for wine! ????

Well ice cream and alcohol is hardly movin towards fitness now is it??? Diabetics? Alcoholics? Class real class!!!

Ok...some people (like myself) believe in everything in moderation. Ice cream and/or wine can be part of a healthy lifestyle. Now that "class, real class" comment about diabetics and alcoholics...really? These people were just commenting that they like wine and ice cream! Let's not go overboard on the criticism here.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Struggling with netting under 2000 calories a day, with eating manly healthy foods (egg for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, vegetables and fruit like id die without it) and ****ing starving all the time, I envy these people who are stuffed on 1000 calories!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I'd rather someone had a glass of wine that has been shown to be beneficial to get their calories up rather than live in state where they are under nourishing their bodies needs.
  • Better4Summer
    Options

So clearly someone who has an excellent history in weight management/eating disorders is the perfect person impart advice on others about eating sensible amounts?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but look at it in the cold light of day.

WOW.. I'am not giving Advice you cheeky sod!

I simply said it is easily done... Plz re read my posts... I/we wouldent be here if we never needed help!!!!