If its really about calories then explain to me why.....

Options

Replies

• shellgirl144
    Options
    If something is high in carbs, it is going to be high in calories. Cutting down on carbs automatically reduces the number of calories. Having said that, some meats are high in calories and there aren't carbs in that, so there is the exception.

Anyway, if I've cut down on carbs, then I've eaten less calories. If I eat other things that aren't high in carbs to make up for the calorie loss, like vegetables, then I will have to eat quite a bit more and get full pretty quickly. My calorie intake is still reduced because I'm too full to eat all of my calories.

I lost 43 pounds and I did not limit myself only to certain foods. If I wanted some spaghetti or desserts for example, then I had some. I didn't count carbs and never really paid attention to anything but calories. I think I lost it pretty quickly...about 8 months to lose it. But, since I was realistic and ate what I wanted, I learned to manage my calorie intake and I've been able to maintain my weight for 5 months now. I don't ever recommend a low carb diet especially if it isn't something you can do for a long period of time.
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Facts are facts, huh?

Fact is, humans were eating grains long before farming happened. Why do you think they started farming them to begin with? Archaeological records show humans baking flatbreads on hot rocks over 30,000 years ago.

There isn't any evidence of “bread”, just ground plant material. The resulting paste/powder could have been baked, made into a porridge, or eaten as is by babies. It’s all supposition.
    As for "improved performance of low carb?" Controlled studies have shown that there is no improved performance, all other variables (exercise, caloric deficit, protein levels) held constant. It's fully a personal preference.

Wrong.
    The "A TO Z: A Comparative Weight Loss Study:" http://nutrition.stanford.edu/projects/az.html
    The peer-reviewed paper written in JAMA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17341711
    The video about the study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
    After all, facts are facts.

Except when they're not.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your friend who lost weight counting carbs instead of calories may have also been eating low calories as a side effect of cutting out most carbs.

This is probably true. One carb is four calories. The average person might eat upwards of 200g carbs per day - if she was cutting that down to 20 that's eliminating 720 calories. Obviously parts of this are made up elsewhere, but if she was replacing carbs with vegetables and protein, she probably ate a lot less. Protein also has 4 calories per gram, but I find that it's harder to eat 75g protein in one sitting vs. 75g carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Facts are facts, huh?

Fact is, humans were eating grains long before farming happened. Why do you think they started farming them to begin with? Archaeological records show humans baking flatbreads on hot rocks over 30,000 years ago.

There isn't any evidence of “bread”, just ground plant material. The resulting paste/powder could have been baked, made into a porridge, or eaten as is by babies. It’s all supposition.
    As for "improved performance of low carb?" Controlled studies have shown that there is no improved performance, all other variables (exercise, caloric deficit, protein levels) held constant. It's fully a personal preference.

Wrong.
    The "A TO Z: A Comparative Weight Loss Study:" http://nutrition.stanford.edu/projects/az.html
    The peer-reviewed paper written in JAMA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17341711
    The video about the study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
    After all, facts are facts.

Except when they're not.
    From your study:
    In all four groups, however, some participants lost up to 30 pounds.
    Although the Atkins group led in terms of the average number of pounds lost, this group also gained back more weight in the second half of the study than those in the three other groups. Gardner also noted that the women in the Atkins group had lost an average of almost 13 pounds after six months, but ended the one-year period with a final overall average loss of 10 pounds.
    Hmm, they were in the middle of regaining all that weight they lost when the study ended. Curious to see what would've happened had they let it go another 6 months.
    Women in the study had to prepare or buy all their own meals, and not everyone followed the diets exactly as the books laid out, just as in real life.
    So, not a controlled experiment, either. Irrelevant to my argument about no metabolic advantage when all variables are accounted for, as this study didn't account for any of them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If something is high in carbs, it is going to be high in calories. Cutting down on carbs automatically reduces the number of calories. Having said that, some meats are high in calories and there aren't carbs in that, so there is the exception.

Anyway, if I've cut down on carbs, then I've eaten less calories. If I eat other things that aren't high in carbs to make up for the calorie loss, like vegetables, then I will have to eat quite a bit more and get full pretty quickly. My calorie intake is still reduced because I'm too full to eat all of my calories.

I lost 43 pounds and I did not limit myself only to certain foods. If I wanted some spaghetti or desserts for example, then I had some. I didn't count carbs and never really paid attention to anything but calories. I think I lost it pretty quickly...about 8 months to lose it. But, since I was realistic and ate what I wanted, I learned to manage my calorie intake and I've been able to maintain my weight for 5 months now. I don't ever recommend a low carb diet especially if it isn't something you can do for a long period of time.

Both protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram. Fat has 7 calories per gram so this doesn't really make sense.

100 grams of baked potato have 21 grams of carbs, 94 calories.
    100 grams of chicken (breast meat) has 23 grams of protein at 110 calories.
    Something that is high in fat would be even higher in calories.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fat's actually 9 calories per gram. It's alcohol that's 7 calories per gram. :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Fat's actually 9 calories per gram. It's alcohol that's 7 calories per gram. :drinker:

Whoops, I meant that. Sorry. I even referenced to be sure and still typed it wrong. You are correct, thanks :)
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hmm, they were in the middle of regaining all that weight they lost when the study ended. Curious to see what would've happened had they let it go another 6 months.

Since all diets have lousy compliance issues, there would have probably been more quitters just like in the other diet groups. Your point is?
    So, not a controlled experiment, either. Irrelevant to my argument about no metabolic advantage when all variables are accounted for, as this study didn't account for any of them.

What do you mean by metabolic advantage? From a biochemical perspective, there's a documented and clear-cut advantage. Gluconeogenesis results in a 43% energy loss of converting protein to glucose. Of course, that's not the only reason why low-carb results in better weight losses.

You are correct that this isn't a metabolic ward study, so we have no idea how much better low carb would have done if all the diets were force fed and subjects monitored 24-hours a day over a year. This study was more of a realistic study of people left to their own devices. In other words: allowed to cheat. Even with cheating, Atkins beats them all for results. That's an advantage in my book.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have lost ALL of my weight on 40-60% carbs.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    My experience with eating low carb was it produced brain fog. I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't do math in my head, I couldn't do multi-step problem solving etc. Apparently my capacity for awesome smartistity is greater than my body's capacity to produce carb-based brain fuel.:laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 7 pages but it's just not true that because someone you know lost a lot of weight doing low carb that it works better. You are trying to draw a general conclusion from a specific instance. The data shows that low carb is no more effective for long term fat loss than a balanced diet and calorie restriction. There is no Metabolic Advantage to low carb. If that's the way you prefer to eat, go ahead. If not, don't.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post so I may be repeating what someone said

My understanding is that very low carb diets create ketosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

This leads to weightloss that, in my observation, is very difficult to maintain.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's not about how fast you lose the weight. It's about creating a new, healthy lifestyle. Any diet where you restrict will work, but most of the time you will put the wieght right back on as soon as you re-introduce whatever you've cut out of your diet.
    It doesn't matter how FAST you lose the weight if you don't keep it off.

Amen Sista!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Still wondering WHY if its calories in calories out that matter!! Why they are able to lose soo much faster??
    Going low carb reduces the fluid in your tissues. As soon as they start eating carbs again, that weight comes back. That's why I don't like any kind of fad diet. I can't imagine not having many carbs the rest of my life. I love food..
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, i started september 17 at 246 pounds, and right now im 183...so, 60-ish pounds in 6 months... i watch my caloies, and exercise, thats it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Since all diets have lousy compliance issues, there would have probably been more quitters just like in the other diet groups. Your point is?

What do you mean by metabolic advantage? From a biochemical perspective, there's a documented and clear-cut advantage. Gluconeogenesis results in a 43% energy loss of converting protein to glucose. Of course, that's not the only reason why low-carb results in better weight losses.

You are correct that this isn't a metabolic ward study, so we have no idea how much better low carb would have done if all the diets were force fed and subjects monitored 24-hours a day over a year. This study was more of a realistic study of people left to their own devices. In other words: allowed to cheat. Even with cheating, Atkins beats them all for results. That's an advantage in my book.

From James Kreiger, a recognized expert in the field of dieting and nutrition when writing a summary paper on research of Low Carb Diets:
    1. The proposed metabolic advantage (MA) for low carb diets is a hypothesis, not a fact
    2. There is inadequate data to support the MA hypothesis
    3. There is inadequate data to reject the MA hypothesis
    4. The MA hypothesis does not trump the concept of energy balance. It postulates inefficiencies in energy metabolism, which would translate to an increase in measured energy expenditure (due to heat loss) in a living organism. Thus, if the MA was true, "calories out" would increase for a given "calories in".
    5. A definitive study examining 24-hour energy expenditure (using room calorimetry), comparing a ketogenic diet to a traditional diet (with matched protein intake) for subjects in an energy deficit, has not been performed. This is the only study that will adequately test the MA hypothesis in humans
    6. Weight loss still requires an energy deficit. If a MA exists, it still cannot make up for an energy surplus or energy balance. To assert otherwise is to assert that energy can be created or destroyed out of thin air, or that human tissue can be created in the absence of any energy input.

James Kreiger's credentials: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=3

No offense but I put more stock in what he says than in what you say. FTR, he does not view low carb unfavorably. In his larger body of work he is postively disposed to it for some people. I agree. But it is not nessesarily "better" for all.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal. If you eat sugar it turns to fat if it is not burned off. If you eat lower carb (non simple processed sugar) food your body burns fat better. If I worry about calories, I can eat 1500 and still eat a lot of junk and be under and not lose anything. If I am concentrating on reducing sugar intake, I can eat 1500 calories and eat a lot of good for me food and my body will use it to burn the fat I have rather than the sugar I just ate. I am finally getting this and it is really great. I am not saying don't ever have a treat or anything like that, but for me at least, I have noticed that when I concentrate my efforts on eating natural foods and cut out the processed stuff, my body loses. When I get stuck in a rut and eat crap, I can work out for an hour a day and don't lose a thing. I call that bulimic exercise, because that is what it is. Instead of puking it up, I "burn it off" and maintain my weight. Trying to get out of that habit and just eat what is good for me with the occasional treat, and not feel guilt. Good luck.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For example a friend of mine started out weighing 215 she lost 75 lb in less than 6 months! Never have I heard of this being done counting calories! She was eating 20 grams of carbs a day & not counting calories just carbs!

I watch my calories in that I maintain a deficit: 1000 calories below what I burn each day (for first 6 months, now I've now switched to 900 cal/day deficit). I have lost more than 70 lbs in less than 6 months. And that is documented with doctor visits. And I know even more precisely than my calories what my carbs are because on Aug. 30 2012 I was diagnosed with diabetes. And as of last Tuesday, I'm off all medication and totally non-diabetic. I did it by counting carbs religiously. I ate between 130-190 net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) that entire time and still do.

I've read that studies show that insulin-resistant people do best on low carb diets and insulin-sensitive people do best on high/moderate carb diets. Yes the human body works the same for everyone, but the number of variables and medical conditions complicate it by an order of magnitude, so you just have to find what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sooo many people lose weight so much quicker when they eat less than 20 grams of carbs per day? I see soooo many success stories where people lose 50-60 lb in 5 months (for example) these are people who are not extremely obese either..whereas counting calories you rarely see where they lose that much in that short period of time? So is it really the deficit in your daily calories that count? All these numerous stories I read & see lose so much so quick eating low carb!!

Because when people cut out carbs they don't end up eating as much... and because some (most) carbs cause water retention.