oh god. after how many days does this get easier?

Options
124»

Replies

• stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    it doesnt get easier, every day is a battle to loose more weight....
    but i am ready to face it!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It eventually does get easy and just becomes a way of life! The trick is to make small changes you can live with, one at a time. You didn't develop unhealthy habits overnight, so don't turn into Ms Healthy overnight. It'll be a shock to your system!

This is exactly how I did it. One change at a time. I have not found this process to be hard. Tedious maybe, but not hard.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    How Much Should I Be eating????

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Scooby has helpful info.

as for easier?
    idk
    one day at a time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's ever hard for me is getting enough protein and not eating all my calories in carbs. That and sometimes I get fatigued on the actual logging part, but it always passes.

If you're hungry all the time, grouchy, light-headed, or fatigued then something need tweaking. I've never gone hungry in 40 lbs lost. I get enough fat and protein and I set a realistic calorie goal.

Only change things that you can live with forever. If you love chocolate then don't completely cut it. Just give yourself a small amount and make it fit your goals. I wouldn't say that weight loss is easy all the time, but it is simple. It's just a set of habits you develop that you can stick to.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I won't pick on OP for the 1200 cal thing :wink: I'm sure you have your reasons, but do consider the good advice given in this thread!

I'll just say that a lot of this weight loss/new lifestyle thing is mental. If you are struggling day after day feeling hungry and grouchy, and you could still lose weight eating a bit more, then consider upping your calories to that level. Everybody starts off setting goals to lose as fast as possible, but if it will be sustainable in the long run going slower, maybe try that instead. I've yo-yoed many times by either restricting too much overall (much more than necessary) or trying to eliminate certain foods entirely.

If you don't want to do that, choose the best most satiating 1200 cals you can find. Good luck!

ETA: I missed OP's post where she changed her goals - Still wishing you good luck! :wink:
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My sister..said she went on a low carb "DIET" once and was soooo grouchy she couldnt stand herself..(shrugging shoulders) I suppose deficits effect people differently:) I have felt my best since I started this one month ago:) Maybe a good question to ask a medical Dr. as well:)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and 1200 cal per day faaaar from enough!
    I do strength training and move as much as I can (petting mr. fitbit).
    My goal is burn 1700 cal per day so I can NET 1200. Without that, I'd be an axe murderer, the chick with the cheeseburger goes down FIRST! :laugh:

So you eat 2900cals a day??? Am I right?
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Eat just a little more. Even a hundred calories could make you feel comforted. Eat foods you like. Not junk but food that really makes you feel good
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The day you realize this is something you WANT to do, not something you have to/need to/should do.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When you realize 1200 calories isn't a realistic goal.

Maybe for you. I'm 5'2" with a small frame and 1200 is plenty.

But for a 6'1" 240 lb. man with a larger build, yeah, it's not.

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.

Oh hey, guess what? I am an inch shorter than you and I eat 1600 calories. So yea. 1200 is most definitely not enough.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It got easier around six months for me, when I started eating more and lifting weights (losing .5 lb / week or less).

Now it's almost easy to maintain, and I am pleasantly full at the end of maintenance days.

A lot of the hunger occurred when I was losing steadily at 1.5 pounds a week - it was more of a craving hunger than a starving feeling. If I ever felt weak or seriously deprived, I would eat something.

The best thing you can do to make this easier is to eat more whole foods (fruits, whole grains), extra protein (I am doing 90 + grams / day), eat small meals more often and go for intense exercise especially with the weights. That way you can eat more and some of those additional calories go to holding onto lean muscle mass instead of storing as fat.
  • jeanpien
    jeanpien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah really, I must be doing something wrong. I gained 3 lbs!! I'm not eating over my cal' s........I don't know what to do.
  • jharnes0831
    jharnes0831 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for about 1 month and I have found watching your diet is alot like quitting smoking... the first week every food advertisement made me drool like one of Pavlov's dogs. Now I have way less of a reaction. It was the same with smoking. I would see someone smoking in a movie or in a car and the first week, it was awful. It has been 6 month since I had my last cigarette and now I have no lingering desire... I hope that in 5 months my new eating and exercise habits will be so ingrained that it becomes second nature...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    When you realize 1200 calories isn't a realistic goal.

Maybe for you. I'm 5'2" with a small frame and 1200 is plenty.

But for a 6'1" 240 lb. man with a larger build, yeah, it's not.

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.

Well I'm an inch shorter than you and have gone from obese to a healthy body fat percentage and at no point did I eat as low as 1200 cals/day

1500 cals/day is too few calories for me (extreme hunger, mood swings)

I'm currently eating 1850 cals/day, to see if that's maintenance or if I'm still losing at that number of calories. (I'm at a healthy body fat percentage, which I want to improve a little but I don't really want to lose any more weight)

while you're right that being short means you don't need to eat quite as many calories, it's also the case that many women of any height cut their calories too low when dieting. And frame size does not make that much of a difference. I have a large frame, and that gives me a whole extra 50 calories compared to someone of my height with an average frame. The differences that height and frame size make to how much you need to eat, IMO are grossly exaggerated by many. No-one needs to be hungry and miserable to lose fat. If you get the right amount of calories for you (which for most women is more calories than they think) then it's never particularly difficult.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It is extremely probable that you are not eating enough.

Please read this to figure out your reasonable calorie goal for weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^^^^ this x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

seriously. most women cut their calories too low, which can lead to a whole bunch of problems including extreme hunger, mood swings, obsessing about food, bingeing... and if you keep it up long enough it will slow your metabolism as your body adapts to the lower level of food. This also has side effects like your body supplying less energy to less vital functions.... and you start to look and feel ill and run down.............. most people want to lose weight for health and to look good, well cut your calories too low and you won't be healthy or look good.

the good news is that you can eat a lot of food and still lose weight, the trick is finding just the right number of calories for you, so you can lose fat steadily, without suffering from the above problems. the fat loss will be slower, but it'll be a lot more sustainable, and your metabolism will stay fast, so you'll find it a lot easier to keep the fat off long term. Because really, that's what everyone wants, right? To get rid of the fat and never have it come back again....?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My pants tell me that 1700 is too much. FOR ME!
    What is it you young men don't get about there being other types of humans?

I suppose you could say the same thing about a 61 year old woman talking about a 22 year old woman. Maybe 1200 is fine for you, but it's highly doubtful it's fine for the OP.