POP TARTS: More evil than we first believed!!!

Options

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You'd think that would be too expensive. Or it's an artificial lab created beaver secretion..but then is it still natural? And since when is ANYTHING secreted from a beaver thought of as a flavoring? Enquiring minds...
    From Wiki:

In the United States, castoreum as a food additive is considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be generally recognized as safe,[9] often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in products' lists of ingredients. While it can be used in both foods and beverages as a raspberry and strawberry flavoring,[10] and vanilla,[11] the annual industry consumption is around 300 pounds.[12]

Castoreum (pronunciation: /kæsˈtɔriəm/) is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both male and female beavers possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4]

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

Vanilla, raspberry and strawberry... so somehow, beavers produce something appealing in flavor from their anal glands - who knew. Or... non-glands, as indicated above.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The only problem that I see is that the poptart was strawberry and not brown sugar. Epic fail, kid.

Clearly you haven't had the red velvet pop tarts...

Cr@p. All this chatter is making me want to run to the store for poptarts.

Have you gone yet? Failing if you haven't.

Yeah i went. lol
    I got the confetti cupcake and wild strawberry.
    I wanted the red velvet but there wasn't any. *pout*
  • smantha32
    Options
    You'd think that would be too expensive. Or it's an artificial lab created beaver secretion..but then is it still natural? And since when is ANYTHING secreted from a beaver thought of as a flavoring? Enquiring minds...
    From Wiki:

In the United States, castoreum as a food additive is considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be generally recognized as safe,[9] often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in products' lists of ingredients. While it can be used in both foods and beverages as a raspberry and strawberry flavoring,[10] and vanilla,[11] the annual industry consumption is around 300 pounds.[12]

Castoreum (pronunciation: /kæsˈtɔriəm/) is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both male and female beavers possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4]

Vanilla, raspberry and strawberry... so somehow, beavers produce something appealing in flavor from their anal glands - who knew. Or... non-glands, as indicated above.

I DIDN"T SEE THIS!!!! LALALALALLALA!!!!!

*ack* mouthvomit.
  • smantha32
    Options
    From Wiki:

Seriously???? who was the person who first thought, "Hey, I bet Beaver anal secretions taste like vanilla!"
  • martini83
    martini83 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that by pop tarts I thought you meant Britney Spears and the likes?
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Damn, now i'm really craving a poptart.
    But seriously, that's ridiculous.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    A 7-year-old Anne Arundel County boy was suspended Friday for chewing his breakfast pastry into the shape of a gun and saying, “bang, bang”— an offense that the school described as a threat to other students, according to his family.
    The pastry “gun” was a rectangular strawberry-filled bar, akin to a Pop-Tart, that the second-grader had tried to nibble into the shape of a mountain, but then found it looked more like a gun, said his father, William “B.J.” Welch. -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/03/05/pop-tart-gun-suspension-seriously-folks/

Of course, after this heinous incident, the school felt it was necessary to send a letter home to the parents of the traumatized students offering counselling to those who needed it. http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/05/school-offers-counseling-to-kids-trouble

Keep those Pop Tarts out of the hands of children!!! Only responsible adults can be trusted with a Pop Tart...let alone the second one in the package!!!

there isn't a SINGLE country on the entire PLANET where this could happen except the United States.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the topic title...if by "evil", you actually mean, "awesome".

I caught my 11- and 8-year-olds singing Bohemian Rhapsody this morning before school and gave them a stern lecture about the appropriateness of song lyrics.*

(*Okay, that's a lie. I joined in and sang along with them.)

553267_10151464365986749_918505003_n_zpse5dbca30.jpg

Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the fandango.....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hey, that kid was just wrong!

That's not a gun, it's a stealth bomber . . .

tumblr_inline_mj1rwhe3vR1qz4rgp_zps647e8c74.jpg

kid should be praised as an artist...because art is so subjective, you see stealth bomber I see glock.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Surprised the parents were not hauled in because it is clearly their fault. I mean they gave this child a Pop Tart which is clearly unhealthy. I mean what is that stuff in the middle. Also, raising a dangerous gun wielding little boy. :laugh:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    From Wiki:

Seriously???? who was the person who first thought, "Hey, I bet Beaver anal secretions taste like vanilla!"

IDK but it's in my memory bank for the end of the world ... just in case I can't loot any good flavored coffee. :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    What was he going to do? Squirt them with hot filling?

JM
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Yeah i went. lol

The confetti cupcake ones are good with strawberry ice cream between them.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Yeah i went. lol

Nice, I'm going to try chocolate Pop Tarts with B&J's Peanut Butter Banana this weekend I think.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Yeah i went. lol

Nice, I'm going to try chocolate Pop Tarts with B&J's Peanut Butter Banana this weekend I think.

I expect a full report on Monday! :bigsmile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Well I have no idea about this, being Aussie, I have never seen a poptart. And with our anti-gun/biscuit laws I don't suppose I ever will.

But can't you have it added to the constitution or something, a note in the lunchbag from Mum or Dad - a childs right to bear poptarts?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yay pop tarts are back. i like the fudge ones toasted till the edges are like burnt like candy and then eat the middle first and save the crunchy edges for last which have of course been meticulously broken off the sides first. yum.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Well I have no idea about this, being Aussie, I have never seen a poptart. And with our anti-gun/biscuit laws I don't suppose I ever will.

But can't you have it added to the constitution or something, a note in the lunchbag from Mum or Dad - a childs right to bear poptarts?

You are by far much wiser than many here in the US these days.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Good thing the now gun toting teachers didn't decide to take action!!

I am another one who isn't sure if I should laugh or cry.... I also want a dang pop tart!!

Kids will be kids let them be!!!!
  • smantha32
    Options

OOOoOOOO!!!!!!!!