Do you do cardio or strength training first?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bombbombgo
    Options
    If you are mixing strength and cardio, to get the most out of your workout, do strength first. Your body uses stored glycogen as fuel first, which is optimal for strength training. Once the glycogen has been depleted, your body uses your fat as fuel, so by then your body is ready to burn fat efficiently with your cardio.

This is what I've read up on and have been advised by various sources and is my understanding of the body's function. If anyone else has anything to correct or add, please do. :)

Wow! I have been working out for YEARS and never knew that! Awesome, thanks for posting!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you are mixing strength and cardio, to get the most out of your workout, do strength first. Your body uses stored glycogen as fuel first, which is optimal for strength training. Once the glycogen has been depleted, your body uses your fat as fuel, so by then your body is ready to burn fat efficiently with your cardio.

This is what I've read up on and have been advised by various sources and is my understanding of the body's function. If anyone else has anything to correct or add, please do. :)

Wow! I have been working out for YEARS and never knew that! Awesome, thanks for posting!

Yay, I helped someone! You're very welcome. :flowerforyou:

I need a gold star sticker, over here...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    gold-star-black-sparkle.jpg
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I agree strength before cardio, but you're not going to touch your glycogen storages through some inclined walking to get your heart rate up blood flowing through your muscles. You can achieve warming up through stretching, low intensity walking, elliptical, etc, pre-workout, warm-up sets. They all serve the same purpose. I wear a hoodie when I'm not on a pre-workout just to help my body warm up faster.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This is false.

It's next to impossible to deplete enough glycogen to "use your fat as fuel". Cardio is used as a means of caloric reduction.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    5-8 min warm-up cardio on treadmill or elliptical, 6 minutes of dynamic stretching, then I hit the weights.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Martial artists Thai boxers ,boxers run first 10 k usually then train up to twice a day
    That's my background and I haven't seen any skinny fat weaklings lol!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

This is false.

It's next to impossible to deplete enough glycogen to "use your fat as fuel". Cardio is used as a means of caloric reduction.

or to eat more on a calorie restricted diet..:happy: Also I use cardio to help condition my Slow Twitch (Type I) muscle fibers..
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options

This is false.

or to eat more on a calorie restricted diet..:happy: Also I use cardio to help condition my Slow Twitch (Type I) muscle fibers..

Great you certainly dont look like all your muscles have been eaten away by cardio lol!, you look great!:smile:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

This is false.

Great you certainly dont look like all your muscles have been eaten away by cardio lol!, you look great!:smile:

Well thank you for that awesome compliment! You look great as well. Here I picked this for you. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym (about half an hour's walk), stretch, warm up with dynamic stretches and a bit of bodyweight stuff, then lift. After lifting, I do a bit of KB work, which gets my heart rate up. But I always lift before doing that, as I want to be able to give my best effort to the heavy lifts.