Women Fit For Forties

Options

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, This site is a god send.....I will be turning 40 in Sept.....I have to get healthy, no more dieting ...it just doesn't work in the long hall....I have been trying to be healthier for about 2 months now....I am down about 30 lbs. and have about 25 more to go...well that was my original goal but now I may go even 10 more because with this site of encouragement I believe anything is iimpossible....I would be honored to join this group !!

SW 228 CW (about 2 wks on MFP) 198
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody! :smile:

Just wondering if it was ever decided if we're going to have a weekly check-in day? I must have missed the post?

Have a good day!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody! :smile:

Just wondering if it was ever decided if we're going to have a weekly check-in day? I must have missed the post?

Have a good day!

I think I read that we can just check in whenever we want, whatever day! I think that is pretty good since everyone has different weigh days. So post away whenever you feel like it!

I try to weigh in on Mondays, but sometimes I jump on everyday just to make sure I did enough they day before! If I'm up an ounce or 2 pounds, then I increase my water for the day & do an extra activity! Sometimes when I jump on I find I'm down another pound, so I LOVE to post that! And speaking of that....I jumped on this morning & WHOOHOO! I'm down another pound! However I'm not going to post it yet since I just weighed in yesterday! :bigsmile: But I'm doing the happy dance inside myself today! :laugh:

I got up at 5am this morning & had to go to the bathroom, then couldn't get back to sleep. So I came downstairs & turned on Fit TV and did some bollywood dance/bellydance workout! It was actually fun, with a few times of me saying out loud "you've got to be kidding me" but I did it! It was a nice way to start my day!

Have a great day everyone!

Kelly
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I got this in a email this morning and I just had to share it with you guys!

The Mayonnaise Jar

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, When 24 hours in a day is not enough; remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee. A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and start to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured it into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded With an unanimous 'yes.' The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor, as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - Family, children, health, friends, and favorite passions Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car. The sand is everything else -- The small stuff. 'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, You will never have room for the things that are important to you.

So... Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups.
    Take your partner out to dinner. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap. 'Take care of the golf balls first -- The things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. 'I'm glad you asked'. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.'
  • Solandra
    Solandra Posts: 84
    Options
    Way under on calories yesterday (not by intention, there's a lot of stress and excitement in our life right now, and sometimes my appetite just goes away), over on water, and I mowed the back yard. Today I'll walk at lunchtime and start the squats challenge.

One of the golfballs I've added to my jar recently is my 17 yo stepson, separated from his dad (my beloved) for 12 years by a long and painful story that's too much a downer for a pretty morning. He's been here for almost a week, and it's been a wildly fabulous and terrifying roller coaster of a ride. They had The Big Talk last night (the one that starts "so, Dad... 12 years?" , and it went really well. I'm proud of both my guys.

The kid offered to mow the yard. While I appreciate the need to wear him out and burn off his excess energy, and I appreciate the rare gem that is a teenager offering to do manual labor, I'm greedy about my own opportunities to exercise, so I politely declined, and will show him the one mile tour of the neighborhood tonight, since he likes to run.
  • llowry
    llowry Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got this in a email this morning and I just had to share it with you guys!

The Mayonnaise Jar

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, When 24 hours in a day is not enough; remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee. A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and start to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured it into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded With an unanimous 'yes.' The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor, as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - Family, children, health, friends, and favorite passions Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car. The sand is everything else -- The small stuff. 'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, You will never have room for the things that are important to you.

So... Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups.
    Take your partner out to dinner. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap. 'Take care of the golf balls first -- The things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. 'I'm glad you asked'. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.'

Amen!!
  • kintegra
    Options
    Way under on calories yesterday (not by intention, there's a lot of stress and excitement in our life right now, and sometimes my appetite just goes away), over on water, and I mowed the back yard. Today I'll walk at lunchtime and start the squats challenge.

One of the golfballs I've added to my jar recently is my 17 yo stepson, separated from his dad (my beloved) for 12 years by a long and painful story that's too much a downer for a pretty morning. He's been here for almost a week, and it's been a wildly fabulous and terrifying roller coaster of a ride. They had The Big Talk last night (the one that starts "so, Dad... 12 years?" , and it went really well. I'm proud of both my guys.

The kid offered to mow the yard. While I appreciate the need to wear him out and burn off his excess energy, and I appreciate the rare gem that is a teenager offering to do manual labor, I'm greedy about my own opportunities to exercise, so I politely declined, and will show him the one mile tour of the neighborhood tonight, since he likes to run.

Wow...I got a little teared up reading that! :cry: That's awesome! :happy:
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I'm so glad momma sent me a little note that nudged me to check in. I'm working on my motivation ... haven't been logging my calories or exercise for a couple of weeks now. I'm hoping this group will help me get back on track.
    A little about myself:
    I'm 46, married 20 years this coming October, have a 16 yo daughter and 9 yo son. I'm a database administrator so get very little activity at my job. I joined MFP in March of 2009, and my husband bought me a heart rate monitor for my birthday (that I had asked for). Between the heart rate monitor and MFP I really got motivated to start a good exercise routine and start logging my calories ... I had been working out at the Y for 10 years, but had gotten down to just one step class a week. I lost 20 pounds by September of last year, but gained a couple back and have stayed the same ever since. I usually do pretty well with exercising ... but really need to tackle my eating habits to start seeing any movement on the scale again.

I love the mayonnaise story ... I had heard it before but it is a good reminder to consider the important things.

My goal this week is to start tracking again.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Well, I just logged my food and exercise for today so far :smile: ... and I'm happy that I didn't eat the 2nd gyro that came with my lunch .... I'm saving it for one of my kids for later.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    awesome story about the professor and mayo jar.........got a 30 min (3 mph) walk in at work on my lunch break....then went in and actually ate on my lunch break....ha!!! don't tell the boss. Would have liked do something outside with the kids this evening...but rain is coming so I am going to collect things for our annual garage sale this Fri, Sat...
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

I am checking in rather late today.

Timbotina, that is exactly why we wanted to start this group. It is just so much easier to connect with people who have simular issues and challenges. I am glad you decided to join us:flowerforyou:

lstpaul, I am so happy to see you today. I know I have told you this a thousand times but I am so awed by your commitment to exercise. Keep up the good work. I right there with you on the eating, I have become a master of maintenance.

Sandara, we did not decide on a weigh in day, it is really up to the group. I just suggested that maybe we could weigh in on our own days and just share our progress with each other so we can cheer and support the process.

Kintegra, YAY on that pound!!! I am doing the happy dance with ya:laugh:

Cogirl, you don't even know how much I needed that story today. Thanks for reminding me.

Solandra, how touching about the step son. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved. You sound like a pretty amazing stepmom.

Lisa, I thought the exercise suggestions you were given sound great to me. Good job on those sit ups.

************************************************Warning Venting Ahead******************************************
    I was told a bus would pick up my son this morning about 3 blocks from my house, Never came. Got him to kindercamp 30 minutes late then went to the store. When I got back I thought I best tackle the front lawn before it gets too hot. Then I lost my mind. I started trimming these bushes in our front yard that you can see from outer space :huh: Then of course we had to pick up all of the debris so I asked my 2 middle daughters to help. They fought the entire time, I am yelling at them to cut it out and they are yelling at each other. I look over and my nosey neighbor is watching us laughing. Yeah, I needed that:embarassed: Finally, I get out the weed eater and trim all the edges then mow, by this time I have to go back to school and pick up my son(without a shower, just a brief cleanup:embarassed: hopefully I did not smell:sick: ). When I get there they tell me that they want to do further assesments on my son. (my son has a speech and language delay) I was also told that they are not making him do anything because he becomes "combative" He is actually crying and saying "no thank you" to doing work. They told me he is very polite but they feel he has issues and should not force him to work. Okay this momma does not play that game. He may have delays but he CAN do work. He needs guidance. I do not want him cottled and babied, This is real life and we have to do things we don't want. Don't get me wrong I am not some heartless mother, I love love love:heart::heart: :heart: love my only son. He is so precious to me and he is my sweetheart. But I want him to succeed in life. and part of loving your children is pushing them to do what they need to do. This last almost 2 years I have cried at least 1x a week for my son.:cry: But I am determined that he will not be labled something and then nothing expected of him because of it. So sorry for rambling this is my daily trial and sometimes I get a bit overwelmed by it all. Thankfully, I have faith in God and I know that is what has kept me sane so far. Any how thanks so much for listening (reading) my vent. I try to keep them to a minimum,
  • Momma2four
    Options
    I'm exhausted! Three hours up and three hours back to visit the Amish in Illinois. I had a great time. Had no idea the Amish were good bakers, and fell prey to some pretty delicious little desserts. :embarassed: Will talk more tomorrow - I am beat! :yawn:

Did you have any Amish friendship bread? MMMMMMMM so delish. I wonder how many calories in that wonderful bread. It makes me want to have Amish friends so they can make me their bread. :laugh:
  • kintegra
    Options
    awesome story about the professor and mayo jar.........got a 30 min (3 mph) walk in at work on my lunch break....then went in and actually ate on my lunch break....ha!!! don't tell the boss. Would have liked do something outside with the kids this evening...but rain is coming so I am going to collect things for our annual garage sale this Fri, Sat...

Good job, Lisa! Glad you got that walk in! I bet it was a good break in your day! It always makes my day go faster!

Momma - that sucks that the teachers aren't trying to help him. Hope it gets better for you both! :flowerforyou:

I just got back from a nice bike ride. Glad the rain stopped for awhile, so it was nice to be out! I did a bellydancing/Bollywood workout this morning from some show on Fit TV at 6am! It was fun, but I did say a few times, out loud, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" :laugh: After dinner I'm going to try to COMPLETE Day 1 of C25K. First time I did 10 minutes, last night I made it 18. Lets see if I can finish it tonight! :tongue:

Kelly
  • llowry
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

I am checking in rather late today.

Timbotina, that is exactly why we wanted to start this group. It is just so much easier to connect with people who have simular issues and challenges. I am glad you decided to join us:flowerforyou:

lstpaul, I am so happy to see you today. I know I have told you this a thousand times but I am so awed by your commitment to exercise. Keep up the good work. I right there with you on the eating, I have become a master of maintenance.

Sandara, we did not decide on a weigh in day, it is really up to the group. I just suggested that maybe we could weigh in on our own days and just share our progress with each other so we can cheer and support the process.

Kintegra, YAY on that pound!!! I am doing the happy dance with ya:laugh:

Cogirl, you don't even know how much I needed that story today. Thanks for reminding me.

Solandra, how touching about the step son. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved. You sound like a pretty amazing stepmom.

Lisa, I thought the exercise suggestions you were given sound great to me. Good job on those sit ups.

************************************************Warning Venting Ahead******************************************
    I was told a bus would pick up my son this morning about 3 blocks from my house, Never came. Got him to kindercamp 30 minutes late then went to the store. When I got back I thought I best tackle the front lawn before it gets too hot. Then I lost my mind. I started trimming these bushes in our front yard that you can see from outer space :huh: Then of course we had to pick up all of the debris so I asked my 2 middle daughters to help. They fought the entire time, I am yelling at them to cut it out and they are yelling at each other. I look over and my nosey neighbor is watching us laughing. Yeah, I needed that:embarassed: Finally, I get out the weed eater and trim all the edges then mow, by this time I have to go back to school and pick up my son(without a shower, just a brief cleanup:embarassed: hopefully I did not smell:sick: ). When I get there they tell me that they want to do further assesments on my son. (my son has a speech and language delay) I was also told that they are not making him do anything because he becomes "combative" He is actually crying and saying "no thank you" to doing work. They told me he is very polite but they feel he has issues and should not force him to work. Okay this momma does not play that game. He may have delays but he CAN do work. He needs guidance. I do not want him cottled and babied, This is real life and we have to do things we don't want. Don't get me wrong I am not some heartless mother, I love love love:heart::heart: :heart: love my only son. He is so precious to me and he is my sweetheart. But I want him to succeed in life. and part of loving your children is pushing them to do what they need to do. This last almost 2 years I have cried at least 1x a week for my son.:cry: But I am determined that he will not be labled something and then nothing expected of him because of it. So sorry for rambling this is my daily trial and sometimes I get a bit overwelmed by it all. Thankfully, I have faith in God and I know that is what has kept me sane so far. Any how thanks so much for listening (reading) my vent. I try to keep them to a minimum,

Just remember God will take over when you can't handle whatever your going through, All you have to do is ask!!
  • llowry
    Options
    OK, I did do 50 situps!!:drinker: That is a start!

Yay - great job!! Here are my results:

W1D1
    200 Situp Challenge - 71
    200 Squat Challenge - 63
    100 Pushup Challenge - 26

EDIT: my situp # was wrong

Your good!! :drinker: Congratulations!!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Thanks llowry, I know you are right:flowerforyou:

I love a post called "skinny wednesday challenge" thought maybe I would share with you all. Saw ya there Kintegra!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100720-skinny-wednesday-challenge?page=1#posts-1390843
  • llowry
    Options
    I'm setting my weigh-in day for friday's. I had lost 16 pounds since I started and had this brainy idea to reset my ticker to 0 thinking it would help motivate me!! Wrong!.:noway: :embarassed: So, maybe I'll be back to around where I was when I quit logging and excercising.:tongue: Everyone is doing such a good job, good luck and hang in there!!!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Getting ready to start my 200 squats challenge. Here I come day one.

llowry, you can do this. I
  • llowry
    Options
    50 situps
    25 pushups
    20 squats

I am soooo out of shape!!:blushing:
  • kintegra
    Options
    Thanks llowry, I know you are right:flowerforyou:

I love a post called "skinny wednesday challenge" thought maybe I would share with you all. Saw ya there Kintegra!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100720-skinny-wednesday-challenge?page=1#posts-1390843

I love this challenge also...I've been doing it since I started 4 weeks ago today! Wow what a change in myself in just 4 weeks! I LOVE MFP and the motivation and encouragement I get from everyone! So come on everybody join us on the Skinny Wednesday Challenge. We also have a Skinny Saturday Challenge as well. That one I REALLY try to topple since I don't work on Saturdays! Hope to see some of you familiar almost forty faces there!

Kelly