Your Parents Named you What?!!

Options

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I went to school with sisters Candy Graham and Tella Graham.

My mom went to school with a Penny Nickel.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So last night on mumble, we were raiding and I don't recall why but the subject of names comes up and my guildmate queues up on mumble and said "Oh, well, I named my first born after my WoW tauren. We named him Thargore."

All the officers and I immediately typed "WHAT. THE. FúCK. THARGORE" in the "O" channel.

THARGORE

(HEOFTHEDREAM, I AM SORRY IF YOU ARE ON MFP... SERIOUSLY DUDE... WTF.. JUST WTF...)

It sounds like you have been trolled and you have lost, though.

Although if I was gonna, I'd pick Gleena (my pinkhaired lil warlock) over Quartza (my boffy girl dwarf pally).
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I came across a girl whose parents named her "Mistake." Just awful.
    *edit for spelling
  • melindanew
    Options
    On another note, I have seen the driver's licence (so not a friend of a friend story) of a guy named "Feral".

His mamma didn't name him that, but he changed it.

Feral.

Yeah.

I'm in Australia (although American by birth) and here they tend to drop/slur the letter "R" at the end of things. So you have beer pronounced as beeah and car pronounced as cah. They act like there's a tax on the letter "R" and so try to use it as sparingly as possible. (And ice, but that's a different thread.) This will make what follows make sense.

So my 17 year old boy has had girlfriends (I'm so proud!). One's name was Taylah. One's name was Makalah.

*repeated headdesk*

Bogans of the world, unite.
  • melindanew
    Options
    my Dad had 2 brothers...His name was Cleatus Georgia Norton.....the 2 brothers were names Lavoyd and Cleovis..

what was she thinking......

Georgia? Mississippi (I grew up in Jackson)? Tennessee? Alabama? Lousisana? Where did your dad grow up, cause those are my guesses.

My father has friends named Cleatus, Laurie and Clovis, and he grew up in Alabama. There are women named Freddye and that have the middle name of Marvin in my family (dad was desperate for a boy.) I also know, from growing up in the South, guys called Trip and Quad and Quint, because they were the third, fourth and fifth of their name.
  • nickywire
    nickywire Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't really have much to add here except for the fact that I knew a girl in high school who was named "Ida" except it wasn't pronounced like the Ida in Ore-Ida but instead Eeduh. It was really odd.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Some interesting last names you'll find around the rez:
    Deer
    Rice
    Mayo
    Standup
    Foote
    Two-Axe
    Canadian

Now a story that involved someone from the Canadian family: a baby girl was due and the father, in all seriousness, suggested "Iam" as her first name... *headdesk* Thankfully, it didn't happen.

Also, some lady names from our community:
    Ryan
    Kirby
    Braxtyn
    Bronwyn
    Devery
    Sage
    Meadow
    Sunshine
    Merit
    Fawn
    Curran

And let's not forget the men:
    Hunter (I swear, there is one living on every street over here O_____O)
    Thunder
    Stone
    Flint
    Beaver (You can't make this up...)
    Wolf (My newest nephew)
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    moses and apple and, blue ivy
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Kcatendra (guess the mother couldnt choose which letter)
    Ralphnelle
    Diamaggia (pronounced Dee-ah-mah-gee-aye)
    Isaisha (Eye-zay-sha)
    Jordelia (ewwww)
    Larussia (yup, just like it looks: lah-rush-ah)
    Jermajesty (jermaine jacksons kid)

got a bunch more, but those are a good start

Come on, I cant pronounce any of these...

How bout Hardly Gentiles, went too high school w/her
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    My best friend is a first grade teacher, and she student taught at an inner city school for two years where she encountered - and I'm not joking - a Mr. T Thunder-Rolling-Down-the-Mountain, but he just went by Mr. T or Little T for short. :huh: Parents, I tell ya.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Jaclyn (unfortunately my real name)

According to my parents, it was a combination of their pet names. My dad's name is Jose but his pet name is Jake (where the prefix Jack came from) while my mom's pet name is Linda or Lyn. I really find it weird and I feel awkward everytime somebody calls me by that name. Instead I prefer to be called Jack, Jackie or JM (initials of my two given names).
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My co-worker spoke with someone named Misty Beaver, once.

My ex-husband went to school with a girl named Anita Boner (pronounced "Bonner"; but still).
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Let me just say that for years there was a habit down here to name your child by taking the first part on one parents name and the last part of the other and stick them together for the first name.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Candee Bare, whyyyy? Sounds like a, ahem, fake name for something if you catch my drift. :huh:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

According to my parents, it was a combination of their pet names. My dad's name is Jose but his pet name is Jake (where the prefix Jack came from) while my mom's pet name is Linda or Lyn. I really find it weird and I feel awkward everytime somebody calls me by that name. Instead I prefer to be called Jack, Jackie or JM (initials of my two given names).

I immediately thought of Jaclyn Smith, one of the original Charlie's Angels.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I immediately thought of Jaclyn Smith, one of the original Charlie's Angels.
    Oh yes though my parents never thought about that. I was born in 1979 at the time when the original Charlie's Angels are airing on the TV screens.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wow - guys ... thanks for sharing. I've read ALL of your posts and there are definitely some messed up people out there to name their kids what they do! Glad mine's pretty straightforward ;)
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Craven Morehead
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Pineapple Wu
    Plasma Chen
    Fallas Chin
    Potato
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Came across a person named Byrd. Pronounced like...Bird.