They cut my head open, your excuse is invalid!

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You are most excellent.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. As a nurse who used to work in the SICU of a major teaching hospital, I saw many people post op who had chiari malformation. After a while of taking care of people who have been through this surgery, you begin to feel it is routine. The sad part is that after the first couple of days postop, the person moves on to the regular floor and discharges to home, and you never really get to see the end result.

I personally appreciate your sharing because it helps me to see that people can get back to normal, and to restore that human connection to the patients I have cared for.

Also, you are awesome to keep chugging through all of this.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Lady, you are absolutely a super hero. This needs to be pinned as mandatory reading for everyone who signs up for MFP. Thanks a ton for sharing!

Thank you...funny story. One night when I was putting my son to bed (he's 6), we talked about how once I felt better after the surgery we could play tennis and soccer together again. Then he said, "Maybe you'll be able to play football, or wrestle with big men!" I was like...ehrmmm...not coming back at a super hero kiddo :)

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic woman. mbcarren will be that woman. Better than she was before. Better, stronger, faster. " To paraphrase the opening to The Six Million Dollar Man. :p
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing woman!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think your scar looks bad *kitten* and I am happy for you all went well.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    You look great and that is one badass scar. Congrats on being amazing :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. As a nurse who used to work in the SICU of a major teaching hospital, I saw many people post op who had chiari malformation. After a while of taking care of people who have been through this surgery, you begin to feel it is routine. The sad part is that after the first couple of days postop, the person moves on to the regular floor and discharges to home, and you never really get to see the end result.

I personally appreciate your sharing because it helps me to see that people can get back to normal, and to restore that human connection to the patients I have cared for.

Also, you are awesome to keep chugging through all of this.

Wow! Thank you for your work! There are quite a lot of people who are less successful with the surgery than I have been (and I am still not 100% out of the water yet, there could be later complications), but I told my surgeon I was going to be his rock star patient and I am sticking to it!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! Thank goodness you are alive and well.

I know what it means to be sick. I had Grade 4 Endometriosis for 10 years. The last two years I couldn't get out of bed. The pain was so excruciating. Endometriosis is a fairly common condition in women. But believe me it can range in degrees of severity. From women who don't even know they have it. To women like me who contemplated jumping off a bridge just to stop the pain. No pain meds on earth gave me relief.

I was told for so many years, "it's all in your head, go see a psychiatrist". Finally we found out what it was. The hormones I was on made me gain so much weight I was up to 210 pounds. I was so sick.

But now I feel 90% better. And have lost all the weight and I am back down to my IBW of 150 pounds. It was only because of my determination I got better. The doctors did the surgery but I was the one who had to keep going in and saying there is something wrong with me and it is not "in my head".

So good on you for your determination to work through your catastrophic illness and get back to being slender and healthy.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You are incredible and so inspiring!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Wow! This brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry you had to endure all of this but I am thrilled you came out okay on the other side. Keep swimming!
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    AMAZING story..... you are doing a fabulous job!!!!!
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You wonderful, strong woman! No excuses!
  • jujuball78
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story.....so inspirational.
    :happy: :happy: :heart: :happy: :happy:
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very incredible! Thank you for the reminder that there are bigger hurdles than the number on the scale. The balance and healthy perspective you maintained during your weight loss journey served you well when you began experiencing all those symptoms but were still able to maintain your weight loss. Congrats on the good prognosis!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This was an amazing story, and I'll bet you get a lot of people feeling less sorry for themselves. Great job, OP! Happy to see things are getting better for you. :heart:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story, and very inspiring especially the transition from a size 10 to 6! Just goes to show that the number on the scale will never mean as much as waist size. You look amazing! And it's wonderful that the surgery fixed everything, I hope nothing like that ever happens to you again!
  • beckyhoo
    beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is a story that many could stand to hear. I know I needed it today, as I've been struggling with some health issues as well, though not as serious. Excellent timing. Puts things in perspective.

Congrats on your strength and success. Continued good health. You are awesome, and for that, I thank you.
  • ccostagliola
    ccostagliola Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I teach a young man who also has chiari malformation. I just learned that about him a couple months ago. You are an inspiration.
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Awesome testimony! And you look fabulous! Thanks for sharing!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I too have Chiari Malformation and had my head cut open 5 months ago! :)

I like your title because now when my husband argues with me I just say "I had brain surgery, I automatically win". lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!