The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Options

Replies

• gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That, unless your problems really are caused by weight, they'll still be there whether you're fat or thin.

Also, having yo-yoed in the past, I'm f'king pissed that I didn't see myself as thin when I actually was.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Not mine, but the belief that you can completely change your body shape through weight loss and exercise and that everyone who works hard will end up looking like a fitness model. The idea that your fat distribution pattern and goals have no bearing on how you work out, especially if you are close to your goal.

huh?

There is no reason anyone who works hard enough shouldn't look like a fitness model. Provided you are doing the right kind of exercise and have the right nutrition.

Not true. Enjoy the dream.

Uh, why not exactly?
    Maybe with the small exception of people who cannot perform the right exercises for a legitimate medical reason?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    mfpcopine... why so miserable?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!

Yep that's my problem and still is, I'm not close to skinny but I still have issues with "squeezing" around things and being surprised that I actually don't have to squeeze so much anymore.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Have gone from a size 15 sneaker to a 13.5 and I haven't even hit my goal weight yet. It is nice being able to buy sneakers from a normal store again though.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Oh, this might be more of a muscle gain thing rather than weight loss, but y'all I SWEAT SO MUCH NOW! I always though heavy sweaters= unfit. Not true!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Not mine, but the belief that you can completely change your body shape through weight loss and exercise and that everyone who works hard will end up looking like a fitness model. The idea that your fat distribution pattern and goals have no bearing on how you work out, especially if you are close to your goal.

huh?

The misguided belief that my booty butt will transform it's self into a perky gym bunny butt because I'm doing squats, when in fact I had booty before I started losing weight, I have it now, and I will always have a big @ss.
    Thanks. That's what I meant. Not that what you're doing isn't great for your body and overall sense of well-being. But exercise does not bring about miracles.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

huh?

The misguided belief that my booty butt will transform it's self into a perky gym bunny butt because I'm doing squats, when in fact I had booty before I started losing weight, I have it now, and I will always have a big @ss.
    Thanks. That's what I meant. Not that what you're doing isn't great for your body and overall sense of well-being. But exercise does not bring about miracles.

Is this basically like when people say "I'm fat. You're ugly. At least I can diet!"

What point exactly are you trying to make? That people should dwell on their negative qualities and embrace the idea that they will always suck? :ohwell:
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's always cold...
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

I wish I could like this.

...and I'm also looking into if my health insurance covers a therapist now that I don't eat my emotions.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Sex is better.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    it did sort of become the only thing people would talk about and there is more to me.

Yep...THIS!! Especially the "more to me" part!!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    The comments from people " oh, she can't eat that so no need to make it" I think that non dieters have no idea that we still EAT! That and the clothes... I have bought 5 new sizes this year, lots of money loss. We should start a clothing trade on here !!!! :)

That's an awesome idea!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    That it really IS hard to lose those last few(few being relative) pounds. Ok so maybe they talked about it, but I didn't believe it.

That while people congratulated you when you went from a size 16 to a size 14, no one really wants to hear about you trying to go from a size 6 to a size 4. It's better to say you are just working on "toning and firming" rather than that you still want to lose more weight.

People think nothing of asking extremely personal questions about your weight loss!
  • wilki089
    wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My best friends are much more overwieght than myself and have terrible eating/health habits and don't have intentions of changing them. That is completly fine but it's hard sometimes to go hang out because it's always somewhere unhealthy to eat or have drinks etc. It's also hard not to have thier support for the healthy things that I love like running events or Zumba fundraisers etc.
    Do I search for a healthy set of friends? How do you handle this stuff?

Oh....and my boobs are always the first thing to go!! :ohwell:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    When you reach your goal, there's no ticker-tape parade, no cheerleaders, no keys to the city, and no one with a big check of prize money to give you. But, you do find yourself looking a lot better in clothes you used to be mortified to be seen in... which for vanity's sake is a pretty nice payoff.

This. I mean I knew it already, but it's still really hard to be close to goal and see the same old messed up, ticker tape free life unwinding in front of me beyond that finish line. Sometimes it makes me want to give up, turn around, and go back the other way, because if the rest of my life still sucks who cares if I'm thin?

But I get like this when allergy season approaches. I'll ride out the blues until Winter rolls round again, then use all my extra energy and confidence from losing and maintaining to fix the rest of my life. Then I'm going to take over the world and fix that, too.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.

This! Paid over $200 for a couple of new suits for work in November, I've already shrunk out of them, now I'm down to one suit and a couple of jackets, found at thrift store, I guess its back to the thrift stores again.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

huh?

There is no reason anyone who works hard enough shouldn't look like a fitness model. Provided you are doing the right kind of exercise and have the right nutrition.

Not true. Enjoy the dream.

It's not true. I have loose skin from yoyo dieting a thousand times( and 3 pregnancys).I do ab work and it helps my posture so it's less noticible but without a tummy tuck,it's not going anywhere.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Even if you loose weight those stretch marks are not going away. Don't buy to many new clothes after the first few pounds if you plan on loosing more. I made the mistake of buying 5 new pairs of jeans after 30lbs then turned around and lost another 20lbs in 7weeks and needed to go down 2 more sizes now I have all these almost new clothes. And why do I still feel fat even though I know I am not
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    everything, my obsession of counting calories, saying "I cant eat there, (even though I can, but my issue is it sets off issues with eating "bad" foods) obsessing now that I am skinny that I will wake up fat, exercising allllllllllllllllll the time! Afraid of gaining a pound, I believe I have created me somewhat of a food disorder. I am still learning how to cope with the new me, I have never been a size 3-4 my whole life, I walk 13-15 miles a day, I am addicted to my fitbit and competing on the leadership boards.......sagging skin is the worst, lost all this weight and no way I can rock a bikini or skimpy shorts..........I am not crazy although I may sound like it here :) it is truly a lifestyle change and by god it is hard, being surrounded by crap all the time. oh and I AM TIRED!